“There is such a thing as TOO BIG!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #51 of 154 Hotels in Nashville
Los Angeles, California
“There is such a thing as TOO BIG!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

My son and I stayed here for Memorial Day Weekend 2013. The place is great. The staff is attentive and friendly. There are still some noticeable hiccups in the Marriott/Gaylord conversion.

The Good:

Great Staff. Easy going people with a "can-do" attitude. I am glad that I I was a member of the "Gold Elite Level" of the Marriott Rewards program. It easily saved me 45 min at check-in. The standard line for check in was HUGE. I would have never expected such a long line at check in. However, this was first symptom that I noticed that this place is too big.

After checking in, I tried to follow the map to our room. Fourth Floor of the Delta Island. I had to navigate past the first atrium, past a few shops until I found the "red" carpet. I then had to walk about a third of a mile down the halls of the hotel to the third elevator set. This was no easy task for my six year old son, and I got lost a couple of times. I rarely get lost, and I know how to read a map. This was when I determined that this place was just too large.

We finally arrive at a room, about an hour after we valeted the car. The room was small for my standard. This is when I figured out that this is a business travelers hotel, and not a family resort. This is where I viewed my stay in a very different way. If I would have only viewed it through my "parent" lenses, I would have been dissatisfied with my stay.

There wasn't much on location at this property that was truly fun for kids to freely do, though my son did enjoy hearing Shrek's voice on the phone during the "wake-up" call. However, a business traveler or convention goer would love this place. Great food options for foodies and very few for kids. Moderately suitable spa, that is free for use by Marriott Rewards Elite Members. Lots to see and explore.

I would not consider this a "romantic" place. It's bathroom and rooms are just not equipped or appointed in a fashion that would inspire the word "romance". This hotel is "business class" on a very large scale.

The bad:

This place is too large to get in and out of efficiently. If you want to go downtown, or out and about, there is no easy way to do it. This place is so large that it's impossible to get anything you want in a quick time frame. Whether it be room service or just going down to pick something up, everything just takes "too long".

Room Tip: Stay as close to the front as you can. Rooms near an elevator would likely be preferred.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ConstanTraveler77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,840)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I had stayed at the Opryland Hotel 15 years ago and it seemed magical to me. My husband and I had to travel through Nashville and decided to stay here.

Upon arrival it was confusing as to where you were supposed to go. They must have had complaints about this because at the end of the entrance they had someone asking if we wanted to self-park or valet. We chose to valet for $26 per night. To self park was $29. I didn't get that.

When we went to check in I was appaled to see a line of at least 30 people waiting to check in. They had stantions with two rows completely filled and the line was spilling out into the sitting lobby area. They did not have enough staff to handle the amount of people checking in. Since they know how many people will be checking in I found that ridiculous that a hotel of this stature would not be efficient. There was another check-in area that was only for the "Elite" people and at least 8 stations were empty at that area.

I watched as one woman came on to check people in. As she was typing on the computer, I heard her say to a bellman "I don't know how to do this". They were training at least 3 people so if the trainee had a question the seasoned worker would stop whatever they were doing and help the trainee. The people checking in would just have to wait. It was rude and incomprehensible to me that this was going on. Why not have one person not on the computers available to help trainees??

It took about 25 minutes to get up to the counter. Fortunately we did not have a trainee and we stated that we thought for a hotel like this it was unacceptable to have customers wait that long in line. (By the way, there was no group checking in - these were all couples and families.). He immediately apologized and offered us an upgrade which was nice. But I hope they read this and understand that people want better service from a hotel like this. Especially if they have been traveling all day are tired and a bit crabby (I have to admit, I was!).

The room was very average but had a very nice big bathroom and a nice patio area. The bed was very comfortable and we slept great.

The "grounds" did not disappoint. The gardens are lush with beautiful foliage, rivers, waterfalls, etc. We had a drink in the Library bar and the guy behind the bar was a pompous you-know-what. The snobby attitude he had was inexcusible. The bar itself was comfortable but nothing special.

We ate at the Irish Pub - the food was outstanding and the two guys on guitars were top-notch. They read the room well and were awesome entertainers without being intrusive. Real pros. That was a real treat. Our waitress was not good. It appeared we were the only table in a section that she was taking care of and I think she just forgot about us. We would have had another drink except by the time she came around we wanted to leave. It took her another 5 minutes or so to get our bill to us.

After we went to Fuze - the sports lounge. This was friday night and just a few people - 10 at the most - were in there. It is a huge area. We asked the bartender what he had for dessert and he said he didn't know. Maybe some cheesecake he said. We said okay. He said, you should go over to the Jack Daniels restaurant because they have better desserts. He clearly wanted to close up even though it was supposed to be open for a few more hours. Weird to be basically kicked out of a place because the bartender wanted to go home.

We went to Jack Daniels and ordered dessert. I ordered the chocolate cake with Jack Daniels infused whip cream. It was so rich I could only take 4 bites. My husband ordered the strawberry and rhubarb crisp with ice cream and it was very good. The entertainment was primarily country and the lead guy was so full of himself he couldn't stop talking. He thought he was funny, but he wasn't. The bass player was a fill-in and I know that because I am a musician. The lead guitar player was showing him the chords sometimes before they did the song. Nothing wrong with that - but would have expected better at the Opryland Hotel. Again, we were there on a Friday night - I would have thought there would have been a lot more entertainment and better entertainment than what they had. By the way, I would have preferred the cheesecake.

In the morning we just got up and wanted to hit the road. When my husband called for our car he was told it would be at least 15 minutes. Are you kidding me?!!! They have a real problem with efficiency and customer service.

So, we booked the hotel for $179 for a king room. The total cost was $179 for the room, $26 for valet, $20 for a "resort fee", plus hotel and state taxes. It was more like $250. I realize the taxes, etc. but the "resort fee" got to me. It's like they hide that and then at checkout you see it on your bill. When we booked this, they should have said it is $179 plus a $20 resort fee and there is additional fees for parking.

I would NOT recommend the Opryland hotel to anyone. I think it is a rip off and there are hotels in the area with a better value. If I want to look at the gardens, I can have lunch or dinner and meander through.

I was so disappointed. To management I would say you need to address your check in because people are already upset by the time they get to the counter. It is a beautiful resort but a lot was lacking on this trip.

Room Tip: Try to get a balcony overlooking the gardens. I would stay away from a patio room because you have...
Pineville, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Enjoyed the wonderful resort facilities available at convenient times, given a balcony upgrade to accommodate our king-sized bed request, ate delicious foods at the in-house restaurants each day, rode the convenient shuttles to all locations, was greeted by the friendly staff at each encounter ... a must-stay for a great Nashville experience.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Staying at the Gaylor Opryland Resort is a great experience. The price was GREAT and we were so surprised to find out before we left for our trip that since we were celebrating our 25th Anniversary will there, that with proof of our wedding date, we would be given one of our 3 nights free. The staff is very friendly - especially the valet guys who work their tail off - and I would say the price of Valet parking is WELL worth it for not having to walk long distances to your car (if you're coming and going a lot). This has to be one of the cleanest large hotels I've ever stayed at. The non-balcony room was plenty nice, comfortable beds and one of the better showers at a hotel I've had. We didn't try any of the restaurants as we had so many places in the city we wanted to visit.
All in all a beautiful facility and wonderful staff!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the bottom floor room due to the convenience to step outside around the corner and being...
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stopped here on our way back from driving back from Florida. My son had a business meeting here the following day so this worked well for all of us. This resort is very plush with many plants, ponds and waterfalls. There are many restaurants to choose from. We went to the sports bar for dinner.(Sorry I cannot remember the name). Children are welcome. There are many very large TVs. Food was very good there and the atmosphere was nice as were the wait staff. There are also specialty shops throughout the resort. After dinner we opted for gelato which was very good. This resort is very large and we needed to use the maps to navigate where we wanted to go. There are also indoor pools and outdoor pools as well as a spa area. My bed was comfortable and I slept well. For breakfast we just went to a small coffee shop. The coffee was good but my egg cheese biscuit was nothing special. All in all this was a very good experience and I would definitely go back there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Decided to stay here at the last minute this holiday weekend. Our usual discounted state employee rate (wife) was unavailable and that stunk, but there were vacancies -- at the full rate. We wanted to stay and did and got a balcony upgrade for free (the front desk clerk felt bad that we missed our initial rate). We did ask for the upgrade, politely, "Hey, we do love and accept upgrades..." and she complied. Good customer service - check.

We've stayed here before and there are some reviews I've read that I don't completely agree with and I want to clarify the points.

Hours of shops and restaurants... Sunday night on a holiday weekend when restaurants all over town were closed, all restaurants at the hotel were open. I've never been turned away from a restaurant for its sporadic hours. Once, we wanted to eat very late (after 11 p.m.) and the nicer places were closed, but we expected that.

Pricey stuff inside the resort ... Yeah, stuff is pricey inside the resort. No disagreement here. But it's a resort. You should know that in advance. As an example, a 20 oz. Sierra Mist (Pepsi products only since the Marriot buy) was about $3.50 after taxes. Once I left my Zyrtec at home and got some at the gift shop. It was about $10 for eight pills. On the other hand, you can eat a decent meal for $12 inside the hotel if you go to the cheaper places. All in all, it's bad, but not THAT bad.

$18 per night resort fee ... True and this is silly. But look at it like this... they don't charge a per day rate for internet use like some upscales do. That doesn't cover the $18, but it does lessen the impact of it. Also, if you're on a budget -- as we often are -- stay somewhere else. This is a pricey place. A decent hotel with clean sheets can be found for $75 in Nashville with a little searching. But it won't be this nice or memorable, for sure.

$20 per day parking fee... either that or pay per day at the gate the same rate. Also expensive and I don't like it, but again, when my budget beckons, I stay at a budget hotel.

Not clean... I have found it immaculate every time I've been there. I'd note that one public bathroom near one of the restaurants was a bit of an exception on this trip. It was several hours past due for a good cleaning, but I've certainly experience worse. Our room was perfectly clean. Not a hair or fiber that didn't belong anywhere in sight any time I've been there. The carpet is clean. The room is always freshly dusted and they run the vacuum every day.

Staff not friendly... I disagree. Last time, my wife had to wait a bit in line for check in, but it wasn't too bad (10 minutes or so). The staff allowed an upgrade that time, too. Every interaction has been positive, with the exception of one grouchy parking lot attendant at the self-parking gate when my card didn't work. Despite her gruffness, she still worked it out. Front desk, cleaning people, room service, restaurant service is always first rate.

We stay here to "treat ourselves." As my wife says, "I feel like a princess every time we stay here." I agree. It's very nice. But if you want a coffee maker in your room, free continental breakfast, free parking and no resort fee, I'd recommend finding another hotel. But if you're in Nashville and you can afford to splurge, this is a first rate place.

Room Tip: Always ask politely if they can upgrade you. Maybe not, but it's worth asking.
1 Thank lovemyfishingtrips
Florence, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

I booked a room for Saturday May 25, 2013. I booked a deluxe atrium view room with king bed. Upon arriving to the hotel, we waited in a long line to park. $26 for valet parking and $20 for self park. We chose valet and waited in the long line. Once they took our cars we waited an additional 20 minutes in the check in line only to find that they had no deluxe atrium rooms available. They gave us a regular room and "gave" us a $65 credit to use anyplace in the hotel. The "credit" was just the room difference. It took us over 30 minutes to get a room after waiting 20 minutes in line. The wait for the room was because a manager had to get involved. He was very busy as it appears many travelers suffered the same fate of not getting what they had pre-paid for. I would not have booked there if I had know they did not have the atrium view room available. This was a special occasion.
As for the stay after the chaos? The room was no different than a holiday inn room with the exception of the noise. It was very, very noisy in that room. We had a great eye level view of the smoking area and he smokers had a great view of us if we opened the drapes. Horrible! We ate at Cascades and the food was OK, just OK., and like everything else - way overpriced for what you get. Walking around was OK and the gardens and such were well manicured and pretty.
In the end, I recommend you stay at another hotel. There is a chance you won't get what is promised to you and you will wait in endless lines. The rooms are nothing special at all and are noisy. The beds are not very comfortable, at least nothing to write about. In all of my travels, I have never had a worse experience. There are some fine hotels in Nashville, this is not one of them. The fact that it is considered a "luxury" hotel is only reflective of the price they charge.
If you go, be prepared to be disappointed, stand in long lines, and pay too much for everything.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else! Rip-off!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles