“Enormous.....”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #49 of 157 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This site (I can't call it a hotel!) is enormous - apparently its 9 acres and its almost all enclosed in an atrium style space. I was there for a conference for about 5 days, and still didn't see it all. You can spend the entire time within it, it has everything - stores, food, bars, coffee shops (that sadly sell Starbucks blend) etc etc.

The rooms were comfortable, and a reasonable size. As I was sharing a room, I really liked that there were two basins - one in the bathroom and one just outside the bathroom.

The staff were, on the whole, lovely and very helpful. The notable exception to this were the staff at the American Cafe onsite - avoid this place unless you enjoy being made to feel unwelcome (not just once but twice - we mistakenly gave them a second chance)

The hotel is walking distance to the Opryland mall which has some great outlets, a cinema and a few food places also, including a food court if you're on a budget.

We liked that the cab fare to and from both the airport and downtown was a fixed price.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony overlooking the gardens if you can afford it
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center

Reviewed May 17, 2013

First, when I booked my reservation online through the Gaylord Opryland website, despite carefully confirming the dates of stay (I know exactly when my event was schedule), when I hit confirm, it defaulted to the following day for one night. I immediately called the reservation number. After a great deal of waiting and transferring, I was told that the reservation could not be canceled without penalty and the hotel was sold out so that I could not book any rooms. This despite the fact I was looking at a variety of rooms and rates available on the internet through other websites. The gentleman was rude, unaccommodating and absolutely refused to help me in any way, shape and form. I demanded to speak with a supervisor. After, more transfers and about 45 - yes, 45 minutes of waiting, I was transferred to Marriott Customer Care as Marriott had just bought the hotel and was in the process of taking over. The lady at customer care was very kind and wanted to help me, but she did not have the authority or the capability. This means that she had to get hold of a manager at the Gaylord to approve of the cancellation without penalty. All this because the Gaylord's rudimentary website reservation messed up! This took another 45 minutes of being on hold while this poor lady tried to chase someone down at the hotel because she had no technological capabilities of helping me. Eventually the refund was approved. Fortunately I have multiple phones and so just had the one phone on hold and mute while I continued about my day as the hours passed by getting this resolved. She also did not have the ability to book my reservation as Marriott did not have access. The reservation center at the Gaylord would not book me a room as they said they were sold out and their website was broken. What was I to do? Eventually the event organizers handled the reservation booking for me. What a hassle before I even set foot on property!!

Now, for the stay. The mattresses are nice, but the sheets and blankets are worse than a Super 8. Why haven't they fixed this? Also, not really sure what was renovated after the flood because I've been staring at the same carpet every year since 2010 and it looks old. I ate at only a few onsite venues. Pass on the sushi at Wasabi. It is boring and overpriced. However, the Cascades menu was good and tasty. Just no sushi!

OK. Unfortunately, there was more issues as I required a copy of my folio after I left. I called the Opryland number and they said I had to speak to Marriott Customer care. Transferred me to this number where I was on the line for an hour and a half. All the while the on hold message stated that folio requests should be sent to a particular email address. I sent my folio request to the email address. Still, was on the phone an hour and a half before decided to wait to see if I could get through email. How long did it take them to respond?? 7 Days!! And do you know what they said in their response? They were unable to accommodate me and that I had to call the customer care number to get a copy of my folio. Really??!! Would this be the number that I waited on hold for an hour and a half while it continuously directed me to send my folio request to this email address? Marriott and their red tape and bureaucracy has ruined customer service. Thank you very much but the only thing I remember about my stay at the Gaylord now was how ridiculous dealing with Marriott has been. It is pitiful and embarrassing for an organization that is supposed to be so guest and service oriented.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Beautiful place. Great restaurants. Well appointed rooms. Worth the stay. If the room rate is out of your budget , at least visit and walk through the amazing atrium. The boat cruise through the atrium is worth the price. They provide free shuttle service to the Opry Mills shopping center. The Opey house is within walking distance as well.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Wow. When they announced that this property was the largest hotel in the country that didn't include "gaming," they were not kidding. I literally carried the hotel map with me at all times, and still managed to get lost on several occasions. Now, that was not really a bad thing, as the grounds of this hotel are stunning and the gardens and foliage there are unlike anything I have ever seen before.

Many restaurants to choose from and I did order room service one night, and I was happy with my choice. A resort fee is mandatory, which included Internet, and I will say that I was disappointed with that. The service was slow, and I had to constantly keep logging on as the service would disappear while I was working on my laptop. I do not mean once or twice, but many times within a very short time frame. I would then be asked if I wanted to "upgrade" my service for an additional $6.99?" I figured if I was already paying more than $18 a day for the service, I should be getting better coverage that what I was getting.

The staff there was very helpful and the check in process took less than 10 minutes. And, I was there while several large conferences were going on, yet I never felt that the property was crowded in any way. I paid for the RT shuttle from the airport to the property, which was $30 dollars. The other hotels in that area had free shuttles I later found out, and considering what I paid per night to stay at this property, I think that their shuttle should be complimentary for paying guests. The other hotels in that area were less $$ per night, yet their guests were taken to their destination free of charge. I found that strange.

I would stay here again if ever in Nashville for another event, if the price is right. I will have to think about that shuttle fee though!!!! Just saying......

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have stayed many times at Opryland Hotel and have never had any problems however this one experience will cause me to never return and warn everyone that I know not to return.
My husband and I decided to get away for a night for our 3 year anniversary. We booked reservations in advance and my husband called the morning of our trip and told them that we would be arriving around 7pm and asked if that would be a problem. They verified our room and told us our reservation number to present to the front desk upon checking in to speed the process. We had booked a king with atrium view balcony.
Upon arriving at 7pm we were told by valet that they were overbooked and were turning guests away. After presenting our reservation number to the front desk the woman asked how many nights we were staying. Then upon hearing that we were only staying one night she proceeded to explain they had overbooked and we did not have a room. They then told us that they would send us to the Preston Hotel free of charge.
How do you overbook so badly? Seriously. Is that not the point of making reservations and calling the day of to verify those reservations. The Preston Hotel is very old and our room was not clean. It was also a standard double bed room. I called Opryland hotel back to ask if there was any way we could go to any other hotel in the area. They acted as if we were lucky to have a free bed at all regardless of the condition of the room.
I felt that Opryland Hotel should send us to a comparable hotel however they disagreed. We checked out of our "free dirty hotel room" and after searching for a length of time finally found a clean hotel room.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank abp2010
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This was our first stay and we were not disappointed. The resort is a city (or a vacation) in itself. The common areas are impressive and offer extensive greenery/landscaping for a more natural/outdoor atmosphere. If your budget allows, I recommend booking a room with a balcony over one of the atriums – this provides a perfect spot to appreciate your surroundings (the outer room views do not have much to offer, e.g., parking lot) and we spent considerable time relaxing from here. Overall, we will certainly return (although I am not sure it is the best choice if you just need a quick spot to sleep). For those with a poor sense of direction, I would recommend downloading a map (yes, there is an app for that) to your phone to help you get around. If you haven’t stayed at a Gaylord resort, it is hard to truly describe its size. Additional positives: 1) We were surprised and extremely happy with the quality of food offered… we enjoyed Cascades, Ravello, and Solario during our 2-night stay; 2) The resort is truly a sight to behold and offers plenty to entertain (3 pools, large gym, walking distance to Opry, etc.); 3) Our room was fairly spacious and quiet, the additional wet bar/sink area quite convenient, and the bed quite comfortable. Areas for improvement: 1) Not surprisingly, food, beverages, forgotten toiletry items are fairly expensive on resort - be thoughtful in packing; it is a good 30-minute round trip anywhere off resort given the time it takes to walk from room to self-parking, etc; 2) Given the size of the hotel, I was not surprised to see a line to check-in; however, additional spaces for those opting not to valet is absolutely needed (the current combination of self-parking is somewhat chaotic and confusing during busy hours) - there is a separate elite check-in; however, we missed this initially.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is the most Staff Friendly Hotel I have ever stayed in, I was there 4 days, 3 nights. Did not have one unpleasant encounter with any of the Staff. If you are walking and look lost, someone will ask if they can help you, they go out of their way to take you to where you need to be.
I had an Atrium Room in the Delta section with a balcony, where I could sit and enjoy my morning tea, The landscaping is so beautiful, lots of greenery, flowering plants and many waterfalls. This place is like a City under glass.
Yes, it is expensive, but if you want to give yourself an extra special treat and be treated like royalty, stay at The Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family