“Bring your walking shoes!”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #49 of 159 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Wow. When they announced that this property was the largest hotel in the country that didn't include "gaming," they were not kidding. I literally carried the hotel map with me at all times, and still managed to get lost on several occasions. Now, that was not really a bad thing, as the grounds of this hotel are stunning and the gardens and foliage there are unlike anything I have ever seen before.

Many restaurants to choose from and I did order room service one night, and I was happy with my choice. A resort fee is mandatory, which included Internet, and I will say that I was disappointed with that. The service was slow, and I had to constantly keep logging on as the service would disappear while I was working on my laptop. I do not mean once or twice, but many times within a very short time frame. I would then be asked if I wanted to "upgrade" my service for an additional $6.99?" I figured if I was already paying more than $18 a day for the service, I should be getting better coverage that what I was getting.

The staff there was very helpful and the check in process took less than 10 minutes. And, I was there while several large conferences were going on, yet I never felt that the property was crowded in any way. I paid for the RT shuttle from the airport to the property, which was $30 dollars. The other hotels in that area had free shuttles I later found out, and considering what I paid per night to stay at this property, I think that their shuttle should be complimentary for paying guests. The other hotels in that area were less $$ per night, yet their guests were taken to their destination free of charge. I found that strange.

I would stay here again if ever in Nashville for another event, if the price is right. I will have to think about that shuttle fee though!!!! Just saying......

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (9,639)

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have stayed many times at Opryland Hotel and have never had any problems however this one experience will cause me to never return and warn everyone that I know not to return.
My husband and I decided to get away for a night for our 3 year anniversary. We booked reservations in advance and my husband called the morning of our trip and told them that we would be arriving around 7pm and asked if that would be a problem. They verified our room and told us our reservation number to present to the front desk upon checking in to speed the process. We had booked a king with atrium view balcony.
Upon arriving at 7pm we were told by valet that they were overbooked and were turning guests away. After presenting our reservation number to the front desk the woman asked how many nights we were staying. Then upon hearing that we were only staying one night she proceeded to explain they had overbooked and we did not have a room. They then told us that they would send us to the Preston Hotel free of charge.
How do you overbook so badly? Seriously. Is that not the point of making reservations and calling the day of to verify those reservations. The Preston Hotel is very old and our room was not clean. It was also a standard double bed room. I called Opryland hotel back to ask if there was any way we could go to any other hotel in the area. They acted as if we were lucky to have a free bed at all regardless of the condition of the room.
I felt that Opryland Hotel should send us to a comparable hotel however they disagreed. We checked out of our "free dirty hotel room" and after searching for a length of time finally found a clean hotel room.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank abp2010
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This was our first stay and we were not disappointed. The resort is a city (or a vacation) in itself. The common areas are impressive and offer extensive greenery/landscaping for a more natural/outdoor atmosphere. If your budget allows, I recommend booking a room with a balcony over one of the atriums – this provides a perfect spot to appreciate your surroundings (the outer room views do not have much to offer, e.g., parking lot) and we spent considerable time relaxing from here. Overall, we will certainly return (although I am not sure it is the best choice if you just need a quick spot to sleep). For those with a poor sense of direction, I would recommend downloading a map (yes, there is an app for that) to your phone to help you get around. If you haven’t stayed at a Gaylord resort, it is hard to truly describe its size. Additional positives: 1) We were surprised and extremely happy with the quality of food offered… we enjoyed Cascades, Ravello, and Solario during our 2-night stay; 2) The resort is truly a sight to behold and offers plenty to entertain (3 pools, large gym, walking distance to Opry, etc.); 3) Our room was fairly spacious and quiet, the additional wet bar/sink area quite convenient, and the bed quite comfortable. Areas for improvement: 1) Not surprisingly, food, beverages, forgotten toiletry items are fairly expensive on resort - be thoughtful in packing; it is a good 30-minute round trip anywhere off resort given the time it takes to walk from room to self-parking, etc; 2) Given the size of the hotel, I was not surprised to see a line to check-in; however, additional spaces for those opting not to valet is absolutely needed (the current combination of self-parking is somewhat chaotic and confusing during busy hours) - there is a separate elite check-in; however, we missed this initially.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is the most Staff Friendly Hotel I have ever stayed in, I was there 4 days, 3 nights. Did not have one unpleasant encounter with any of the Staff. If you are walking and look lost, someone will ask if they can help you, they go out of their way to take you to where you need to be.
I had an Atrium Room in the Delta section with a balcony, where I could sit and enjoy my morning tea, The landscaping is so beautiful, lots of greenery, flowering plants and many waterfalls. This place is like a City under glass.
Yes, it is expensive, but if you want to give yourself an extra special treat and be treated like royalty, stay at The Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed at the Gaylord Opry hotel for a couple of nights as part of our Titan ‘Southern Sights and Sounds’ escorted tour. For British readers, think an enormous Eden Project with three atriums combined with Disneyland. For some reason, which immediately escaped us, we had paid extra to upgrade which meant that we had a room with a balcony which overlooked the interior of the garden atrium which was rather nice but really a waste of money. You are still inside when you are sitting on your balcony! It is hard to describe the vastness of this resort (apparently people come to visit just for a day out!). It has well over 3,000 bedrooms and emplys 3,500 people. The place is like a not-so-small town with shops, restaurants and bars. The atriums are beautifully landscaped with superb trees, shrubs, flowers, rockeries, waterfalls, pools and walk-ways. An ideal place to wander around if the weather outside is bad. We saw five weddings and innumberable ‘proms’ in one day whilst we were there. It is impossible not to get lost at least a couple of times but that only meant that we explored more. The trick is to concentrate on the carpets which tell you which dome you are in. It is very busy indeed with queues for food and drink at busy times. It is certainly not cheap. I was glad that we arrived on a coach - the enormous car park is $20 per day. Being part of a group also meant that we avoided the check-in queues which were enormous when we were there. The resort provides free transport to the Grand Ole Opry which is nearby were we had a really enjoyable evening listening to first-rate Country and Western. Some of our group also spent some happy retail therapy hours in a nearby absolutely enormous shopping mall. The rooms were capacious, comfortable, clean and well-serviced. I got the impression of a very well run resort despite its size. I’m glad we stayed there, it was an experience, but I wouldn’t pay the sort of prices that they must charge to stay again. I am sure that there must be many good hotels in Nashville that are easier on the budget. However, if you can afford it, and don’t mind the sort of crowds that you get at Disney, then it probably is worth the experience for a couple of nights. We decided that you could probably spend a week there and never go outside!

Room Tip: We upgraded to a premium room which gave us an indoor balcony. Only worth it if you want to sit and...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I've stayed here before for conferences and its an impressive facility.

However, conference food quality was mediocre at best. Finger foods were 100% fried..

My real complaint was the room. They putme in a room on the ground floor next to a major walkway made out of marble.

All you heard all night was heels banging on marble. Then 4 am, you hear floor buffers and trash pales being banged around like your local garbage man. All feet from where I was sleeping behind paper thin walls.

Then after complaining (why would they even engineer a room like this? If they know its next to crowds, why not build it with extra sound proofing?) I walk the miles to the front desk. They tell me, to pack all my stuff up (after i ironed and hung it up) and that they would text me later when a new room was assigned. At which point I have to walk the miles back to the front desk to get new keys.

Also, the in room wifi is horrible. My Sprint 3g phone is faster than this sad excuse for internet access)

Annoying enough, but so be it.

So then after 6 hours no text. i make the "cross the 56 acre campus walk" back to the front desk to be told 'oops, sorry we are sold out and there isn't a single room among the over 4,000 available. But we could put you up in a hotel 20 miles away if you want...' Seriously?

Their computer couldn't figure this out earlier? What if the bathroonm flooded and damaged a room or something? Not 1 extra room for any error margin in a hotel with over 4,000 rooms?

What a nightmare, so now I have to go 2 nights with little sleep due to the ridiculous noise, and then repack yet again tomorrow and rewalk the miles back to the front desk for new keys so that maybe I can get 1 nights sleep out of 3.

At a minimum just maybe they could have tossed me a food voucher or something for this sad excuse for a quiet nights sleep?

Avoid this place. Clearly their management has their head up their you know what and hasn't heard about social media and the dangers of not caring about their customers.

2  Thank Mark C
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I attended the Focus Conference at the Gaylord for the second year in a row and wish that I learned about this conference year ago. The hotel is perfect from the clean comfortable rooms, to the excellent exhibit hall and lecture rooms. Being within walking distance of an outlet mall and of the Grand Ole Opry is a plus.