“Horrible check-in”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #48 of 159 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The hotel is beautiful and you could spend days there. Maintenance and housekeeping were awesome! However, check in is horrendous!! We were there early and waited nearly 90 minutes to check in with a 3 year old and a 4 month old. Something needs done to make check in quicker! The refrigerator was not on when we arrived in our room thus making it difficult to place bottles in it. We also specifically asked for a microwave for warming bottles and toddler snacks and we were told this was not option. This forced us to have a converter to plug a car warmer in. With nearly a $300 a night rate, I think a microwave in the room would not be too much to ask. Long, long lines also for breakfast. We ended up buying a cup of fruit loops and a cup of fruit for our toddler for $15. Too high!

1  Thank tfosdick

Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

I was there for three days, this place is Huge, and beautiful doing Christmas I plan on going back on 2013.everything under one roof. It's close by the mall n many other great places the food was good so much to do,and see so plan your stay you will love it.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed March 26, 2013

As our family was traveling from nv for a business Conference. I personAlly called to question the "negative overbooking" reviews" I was told since Marriott took over the management of the Gaylord property they no longer overbook rooms. The telephone reservations agent was sincere and guaranteed we would all have a room upon arrival. I also requested a king bed for my sons room as he is 6"10 and to be close to the conference facility as my father recently had open heart surgery.. Upon arrival and after waiting 30 minutes in lines that resemble airport security lines iI was told I didn't have a room and therefor would have to share a room with my son and his wife. It was also painfully clear at this time there is a huge disconnect from central reservations and the front desk. the manager was called and I was given a room.. happy to have a room i didnt complain about the double queen beds. The property is very beautiful with water features and glorious gardens. The restaurants selection was above average.. Something for everyone.. Close to opryland and a mall.
We stayed 4 days and my son room D1001 was never serviced. No towels or cleaning, coffee refills or bed service. This was a first in my 25 years of business travels. Also our rooms were as far as you could get from our conference facility ... several city blocks.. This was hard for my father. Two elevators were out of service during our stay(4 days) the waits were always long in the am and at dinner time.

It ironic that our conference focused on Customer Service and building Customer loyality. Marriott corporation may have greatly benefited Had it adopted some of "the customer service bill of rights", "provide an honest service" dont make promises you cant keep. It was painfully clear Marriotts central reservations will tell you anything to book a room.. Once your on the property your trapped... Marriotts is just too big and doesnt really care.

At Check-out we were charged for parking on each room even though we had one car.. The charge was also $10 higher per day than we were quoted when we made our reservations.
This was adjusted by the clerk.. Again a disconnect from the hotel and reservation center.
I have attended 25 conferences in the last few years... I will never stay at another Marriott property.. The experience is similar to viewing a gorgeous pastry and taking a bite, then dissapointment as you discover it doesn't taste very good.

Cherie humphreys, President of Answerwest inc

Room Tip: Be prepared to have the reservation you made and was emailed to you.. Not be the reservation you rec...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ohminihaha
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Thankfully my husband was an elite member otherwise we would have been there fir a long time. There are many places to eat but would suggest eating breakfast in your room and saving the money for dinners.

Great pool, rooms, and views.

Room Tip: To be by the pool ask for the cascades
Reviewed March 25, 2013

No matter how stunning the atrium is, no one wants to stand in the registration line for over 30 mins. studying the view. When the uniformed clerk explained that this was a busy check in time (3:00pm), she could not explain why the second registration area was not open. 2 hours later, it was opened as the lines continued to grow twofold. Not acceptable!

At the Cascade Restaurant, our waiter's personality was top notch...but the service was poor. We never received our appetizer and a steak order was way overdone. Last but not least, be ready for an $18.00 service charge for internet, pool/spa, and 2 bottles of water. Really?? We didn't bring our computer, never wet a toe in the pool... but I did enjoy that water. So, you have to park your car, right? Pay for valet parking, $26.00 or self-park for $20.00 plus TAX.

There are options with-in walking distance. We'll go there next time.

3  Thank mary s
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stopped to the Resort on our road trip from Raleigh, NC back to Minnesota and it was great. We would love to stay next time because the tropical gardens, waterfalls, smell of fresh roasted coffee and the relaxation was in the air. We shopped as well as had an amazing time. People were extremely nice and the atmosphere was so refreshing and absolutely gorgeous.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I will start my review by saying it took a long time just to get to the hotel due to traffic from the mall. Once we final made it into the hotel lobby we waited in line over an hour just to get to the front desk.Everyone in line was upset and complaining about the situation. They had a lobby full of people to check in and had only two people working the desk we were in line for. Once we made it to a person I ask the questions if it was always so difficult to get checked in, I got no response at all just ignored and ask what the name was for the reservations. We gave the information more than once the employee was not nice at all and come to find out they lost the reservation that we had booked. The hotel was sold out but they did offer us a room to sleep on a pull out sofa lol for the low rate of $179.00 plus tax and fee's and $20 a day to park. Hell could freeze over before I would pay that to sleep on a pull out sofa or stay at this hotel. After we went out to leave to try and find another place to stay they still wanted to charge us at least $10 for parking. we had to fight with the parking gate guy to keep from paying. Not at all what I would exspect from this caliber of hotel. We never had the first apologize from anyone even regarding the wait in line. We were lucky enough to get a room at Country inn and suites and was given excellent service for less than half the price. It is sad for such a beautiful place to have such terrible service.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple