“Average, at best.”

Ranked #47 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
Tucson, Arizona
“Average, at best.”
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I had high expectations, and was rather disappointed. As a large, "upscale" conference facility, the hotel seemed consistently unable to deal with the number of guests. We were already checking in late, and had to wait over an hour for a room to become available.

The rooms were average. I typically stay in Hilton family hotels, and I have stayed in much nicer Hiltons, for example. The bathroom was tiny, and laid out poorly.

Overall, the resort was extremely difficult and frustrating to navigate as a guest. If I were just passing through for a restaurant, it would be beautiful. However, the layout was insane.

The one exception to my stay was the consistently outstanding customer service at valet. They were fantastically nice, helpful, and seemed to really understand how to do their job properly. Every single individual I dealt with in valet was wonderful. Best valet staff I've ever experienced. Thanks!!

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,939)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pace, Florida
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel is so unique, unless you are in Vegas, none compare in the States. You don't have to drive anywhere once you arrive. There are many options for dining, from breakfast in the Cascades area to Fine dining at the Steakhouse and they have a sports bar, a Irish pub, a pizza place, and also barbque with live entertainment. This hotel is huge so location is important! We have enjoyed staying in the Cascades area and also the Delta. The Cascades lobby is where you check in. The Delta has a variety of shops and eateries. The rooms are super clean, updated, and nicely furnished. You will have a single cup coffee maker ( it takes the pods) a small refrigerator but no microwave. We found the service to be exceptional both at the front desk, over the phone and at concierge .if you valet, and the hotel is full, expect to wait about 20 minutes. There is a button with a yellow smiley face on the phone in your room and it is for service. We used it several times to ask questions or to request that our room be made up early and it was always taken care of. Restaurants have generous portions but some are a bit pricey, resort fees can add up and Valet is $26..00 a day but not much different from self parking. The gardens are beautiful day or night, the shops are unique. The food above average most places except we were disappointed in the ribs at Jack Daniels. They looked good but the flavor was flat. They were much better downtown at the Wildhorse Saloon where we at lunch. We took several tours and loved them all.
If you go to Nashville, stay here if you are on vacation and love premium properties.

Room Tip: Request Cascades or Delta to be close to lots of eateries, front desk, shops
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I came here for a weeklong work convention and came away very impressed. The service was impeccable throughout. Every meal was on site and the food was surprisingly pretty good. The hotel staff was friendly and my room was clean and nice. I especially enjoyed the pool, hot tub area. Flat screen TV with many HD channels was awesome.

Having so many selections for restaurants and bars on site was really necessary during a weeklong stay. Even though I did not have the chance to leave the hotel/resort, I never felt trapped as the resort offered so much all under one roof. The Hertz on site kiosk was a life saver as I could just rent from the airport and drop off at the resort.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My wife and I booked a room on the 15th of Febraury this year and stayed at the Opryland Hotel. We visited the Opry on Friday night and had a great time. However the check in process took over and hour and the parking was terrible. You had to park about 400 yards away from the hotel and carry your bags into the hotel after paying $300.00 a night. They have valet services but the line to reach valet was so long that we decided to park our own car. Once we were checked in at the Cascades our room was on the opposite side of the hotel and we had to walk all the way to the Delta on the fourth floor from the Cascades looby with our bags! Give me a break $300.00 a night to carry my own bags. I was prepared to tip someone before entering the hotel but NOBODY even offered to carry our bags. My wife went to the concierge desk to ask an attendent if there was a shuttle to the Opry and the attendents hesitated to even greet my wife. The room was not very nice at all maybe if you get one of the conservatory rooms it would be nicer but the Delta rooms are not any nicer than any ordinary hotel room. Overall the Opry is a lot of fun but next time we visit we will stay at another hotel and save alot of money.

Room Tip: The Delta rooms are not worthe the price maybe the Conservatory rooms are better.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Damon L
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 21, 2013

It is just such an awesome and unique hotel. Completely self contained--don't need to leave the hotel if you do not wish. The restaurant choices for such a huge hotel are a bit limited and EVERYTHING in the complex is Pricey, so be prepared. The service all through the hotel complex was great. Hotel call staff was superior. We had a few requests which were handled professionally and quickly in a very friendly manner. We had reserved a garden atrium room and that is what we got--beautiful little balcony with good garden views. The hotel is so huge and easy to get lost. Get a map from the beginning and pay attention. Top quality hotel. We were surprised that extra blankets and pillows were not in the room, but they were delivered quickly when requested.

Room Tip: Garden atrium had wonderful views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Sharpsburg, GA
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I will begin by saying that this was the third time I have stayed at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel; though there were a few minor errors the last time I stayed, everything was worked out comfortably and quickly. This time, however, I am angry that my reservations were not accurate. As a gift to my parents, my husband and I took my parents to Nashville (to see the Emancipation Proclamation exhibit and visit relatives). Early January, I booked two rooms by phone - 1 handicap accessible, king bed, atrium view and 1 regular, king bed, atrium view. I thought that by speaking with someone, no errors would be made. Joe, the person in reservations I spoke with, went over my reservation twice on the phone. However when we arrived mid-February, I had to wait at the front desk for more than 15 minutes only to be told that there were no more handicap accessible rooms available. (I was not waiting in line - I was waiting at the desk, talking with a front desk clerk. She left the desk twice for a length of time and returned with a manager.)

My dad is paralyzed on one side, so he needs the accessibility options. After two lengthy waits, the manager agreed to discount both rooms (what amounted to one free night for my parents' room) and move my parents to a handicap accessible room "first thing in the morning." They were to call me the next morning. We awoke at a leisurely time, ate breakfast, and prepared to visit the Hermitage. I had yet to hear from the hotel staff about my parents' room, so I called the front desk. I spoke with Bobbie who assured me they would move my parents to a king bed, handicap accessible, atrium view room. My parents repacked their bags and left them inside their door as requested by Bobbie. As we neared the Hermitage, I received another call from someone who sounded surprised that I had already spoken to someone about the room. When we arrived back at the hotel, we picked up new key cards to my parents' new room. It was handicapped accessible, though there were two queen beds and a terrible atrium view (only restaurant and people). Again, they were not given the room which I reserved for them. I returned to my room and called the front desk, only to be told that there were no more king bed, handicapped accessible rooms available and an, "I'm sorry." That evening when we returned from dinner, there was a message from Sarah to call her. I tried to call her and she was gone for the evening. The person answering said she would leave Sarah a message that I had returned her call. I didn't hear anything else from Sarah during the rest of our stay or since we have returned home.

I am aghast that a hotel would treat handicap people in this manner - it's both dangerous and disrespectful. My dad could have fallen without the handrails. Also, he was unable to take a "real" shower the next morning before we left the hotel.

On a positive note, the hotel is lovely as ever and clean; and the staff (except for reservations) are friendly, polite, and seem to genuinely care.

From now on, I will recommend that people stay at The Hermitage Hotel downtown. We ate lunch there on Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed our meal and service. We also were wowed by the hotel in general! We'll be staying there during our next visit to Nashville!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Cascades area. The atrium views are lovely, though only from the 3rd floor up. If y...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank C-02
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is a must if visiting Nashville. A HUGE property ( over 2100 rooms) and you may feel you need a map to find your room. Very good selection of restaurants and the best room service dining in the state - without question.

Building maintained to a high standard, often has 5000 people milling around when busy but you would never really notice. Great staff all who seemed happy at their work, with nothing a problem to them. One of the best hotels in the USA !

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple