“Great for a business trip”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #47 of 159 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Great place for a business trip. Check-in went without a hitch. The cleanliness and decor of the room were very appealing. The bed was comfortable. All staff members were helpful and courteous. We enjoyed walking through the indoor garden, but missed smelling flowers. I think they avoid these because many people have allergies.
Because of the layout, it feels as if you are in adjoining facilities, rather than one massive property. Easy to get around, with a little help occasionally from staff for directions.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms near a pool and the interior garden were convenient.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Such an amazing property. We just spent 3 nights in the Magnolia Wing. The rooms are spacey and very comfortable. Two of the mornings the showers were kind of cold. But there were over 5000 people staying in the hotel those days. I look forward to returning next year.

1  Thank Robbie W
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I am currently sataying in the Garden Conservatory wing in a room with a balcony. I am here for a convention with approximately 5000 other atendees. Check in was quick and easy but there was a little wait due to the volume of arrivals. Staff was courteous and overall service in the whole facility is great. Everyone is extremely helpful and accommodating. The rooms are nice, clean, comfortable, and the balcony is fantastic with a view into the Garden atrium. The hotel has many amenities, four sections that each have lush tropical foliage, waterfalls, all under domes that keep the elements at bay. It is amazing to just walk the diferrent sections to enjoy the beauty and serenity the atriums provide. The restaurants have excellent food and service. It was amazing to experience this place as a conventioneer but I think it could be a nice romantic weekend getaway too. You have to see ths place to believe it. While my stay was incredible, sometimes things conspire to make the experience less than ideal and it is unfortunate if you are the one in a hundred guest that doesn't have a good experience here. One thing I must add is that you may have to make a long hike to get to your room. This place is huge.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are nice and to have the best experience Magnolia, Garden Conservatory, and Cascades a...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DJB1954
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Attended a conference in Jan. 2013. The interior of the property is really beautiful. Lots of lush greenery, waterfalls and flowers with winding paths to walk around it. It makes you feel like you are outdoors even though you aren't. It takes a bit of time to get used to the layout in order to find your way around. The conference facilities are very nice and it was easy to locate the different rooms for the conference sessions. The meals we had at the restaurants located there were pretty good. The Mexican food at Solaria was my favorite. The freshmade quacamole was excellent as were the chicken enchiladas. Our waiter there was outstanding! We also enjoyed dinner at the Irish Pub although it was very busy and the service was a bit slow. We had lunch at the pizzeria. It gets crazy busy, but the pizza was great. Check-in and check-out went quicker than expected given how many people were coming and going at the same time.

1  Thank grandmaB47
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My family and I went on a road trip and stayed here for two nights and wow, what a beautiful, southern paradise to stay in. It was huge, best beds I have EVER slept in. I'm not sure of the price since I was young and didn't really care but I think it was affordable. Definitely reccomended.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sjrimz
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I travel about 75% of the time for my job which requires me to stay in a lot of hotels and convention centers. While I have stayed at Opryland Resort and Convention Center in the past this trip was the all-time worst hotel stays ever. It was one thing after another. I had several major issues that I will list here:

1. When I initially made my reservation for my convention the room block was sold out. So I told the advisor, who was aware I was attending a convention at the Opryland, that I would go ahead and make my reservation under the AAA rate. About 2 weeks prior to my trip I received an email that was confirming my reservation for the Gaylord Texan!! When I called to correct the issue there were no rooms available at the Opryland at the AAA rate and the management REFUSED to honor the original rate that I had at the Texan. They were unwilling to correct the mistake made by the hotel reservation operator. The difference in room rate was nearly $600 dollars!

2. Prior to arriving to the hotel they pulled a deposit of $327.00 from my account which was fine. However, when I arrived the convention block opened up and the convention ended up paying for the room under their block. When I went to the front desk to receive reimbursement for my $327 deposit they did so immediately and handed me an invoice to show that I was credited back the $327. Well that was 7 BUSINESS days ago. I have called the hotel for 2 days in a row to find out why I haven't received my deposit back and each time they told me that accounting would return my call. I have never received a call. I called back again today and was informed, after the operator talked to accounting (I never did), that the deposit was officially released yesterday and that I should expect it to show up in my account within 3-5 days from today. So by the time I receive my deposit, if I ever do, it will have been 10-12 Business days... Nearly 1/2 a month.

3. The hotel has a mandatory preauthorization of $50.00 per night for "potential incidentals" that are never disclosed when making reservations.

4. One night during my I went to bed around 9:30pm and was awakened at 11:00pm by a maintenance man barging through my door. Needless to say it scared me to death. Just imagine if it was a woman staying by herself... When I yelled and said who is there (the room was pitch black, the man was in the hallway, and it was 11:00pm, I was met with a reply that said, " I am maintenance and we had an air ionizer "trouble" alarm so we are here to replace the filter. I will just come back tomorrow.” When I spoke to the manager the next day about the incident he said he would inform security and get back with me. What I had was a message on my phone later that day that said that it was confirmed that the man was in fact from maintenance and that the issue would be taken care of. Not even a personal phone call.

5. Food Cost. Again, let me say that I travel for a living and I don't mind paying top price for a high quality meal. The food in my opinion was better than average food but had a premium price.

Let me conclude by saying I rarely ever complain about quality or service but the chain of events in my experience at the Gaylord Opryland was just too much to not write a review. Another note, this is the first time I have ever left a negative review of a hotel. I am severely disappointed.

1  Thank Ryan S
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My family of four stayed at the Opryland Hotel Jan 20 2013 to meet up with some family for a small getaway. Upon arriving, it took a few minutes to figure out where to park--their info signs had been placed out of order and caused us to drive around in a mindless circle three times. We finally decided to use the valet parking instead of the self parking option and later regretted it. After the car was taken by the valet, it took us about 45 minutes to get checked in due to the large amount of people trying to do the same. When we checked out, we called 30 minutes in advance of leaving our room for our car to be pulled up and still had to wait another 45 minutes for it to appear. The self parking is $6 cheaper per day, and you can park very close to whichever section of the hotel you're assigned.

The hotel itself is beautiful on the inside with its own ecosystem, waterfalls and even a boat ride through the premises. It's particularly stunning at night after the main lights have been turned down--very nice for a romantic stroll.

The rooms are very standard and nothing special, but they were clean and comfortable.

Food is a mixed bag. Most of the fast food type vendors are very overpriced and the food isn't worth it. Try the Jack Daniels restraunt--it was excellent!

Overall a nice place to visit once, but will probably look elswhere the next time we're in Nashville for an event.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family