“Nice but for the price could be much better”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #47 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
Lexington, Kentucky
“Nice but for the price could be much better”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was my first visit to the Opryland Resort and I was impressed with the property from the very beginning, aesthetically anyway. My impression changed after I was there for two days. Check in area is like WalMart in that it has tons of open spaces where you see check in counters with only two to three people behind them. A hotel with close to 3000 rooms should have more counters open for check in and check out. My room was on the Cascade Level which was great to me because I was close to The Falls bar and restaurants. My room was a lower level room with a view of the parking lot, but you get what you pay for. For $65 more a night I could've had a room with a private balcony overlooking the Cascade atrium. My inside room was just as nice and spacious with nice decor and comfortable bed. The Falls bar is located right near the lobby and has a beautiful waterfall to the right of it with lots of foliage. THe bartenders are very good and the bar food is ok. The drinks range from average upscale hotel price to ridiculous. The bottle charges for wine and champagne are lower. Think about this if you usually have two or more drinks or come as a group. Those two or three drinks costs more than an entire bottle of the same wine often. I had friends meet me here and we realized this when we received the bill. These are things you think an honest or conscientious server would mention. The bartender did(Day 2) the waitresss didn't (Day 1).

Beware the mexican restaurant Solario : 6 shrimp, 4 clams, 3 mussels, a bit of chorizo and a ton of rice do not a "signature" paella make and for $18 I expected better. The Cascades American Cafe was pleasant and only decent, but still nothing special after my disappointment at Solario. While dining at Cascades the food from Wasabi's, the Sushi bar located right off its entrance, can also be ordered. Room service was better than average and I ended up eating quite a bit of it.

I explored other areas of the property while there. The gym was great and very clean and the spa was typical hotel spa with fancy named basic spa treatments with premium prices. There are lots of things to do and see onsite though and they also provide shuttles to some area attractions, but I believe the only one that is free is the one to the mall, Grand Ole Opry, General jackson showboat, Golf or the one to other properties in the general area if you show your room key. The airport shuttle is $30one way or $40 roundtrip. Parking is not included in your room rate so be prepared to be charged whether you valet or park yourself. There is a $15 resort fee that covers internet, the aforementioned complimentary shuttle, two bottles of water in your room per day, the gym, access to their spa and I don't think anything else. However, most hotels charge $8-12 per day for internet alone so not really a big deal. What others have said is true here: you will be nickeled and dimed to death, but it is a resort and says so in its name. It never claimed to be an all inclusive resort and it is indeed not. Basically every way they can earn money they are.

The overall impression of this resort is just average. Very beautiful with lots of options. I guess here more than anthing you are paying for access and an experience. How much you do or see here is up to you and how much walking around you are willing to do. This isn't really a place to go for the pure pleasure of a very nice room. Average hotel in every way except looks.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,943)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Louisville
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We're here at least once a year for a convention. The convention area isn't as big as some places, but it fits the needs of this show just fine and all of the staff I've encountered are usually knowledgeable and helpful. The multiple gardens offer a nice place to walk around when taking a break from the show floor and there is no shortage of little shops spread around the place.

The Library is a great place to grab a drink to unwind after a long day and wait for a tremendous steak dinner from the Old Hickory restaurant - which, with it's glass roof, offers a nice view of the sky, even if it does mean reading the menu by a waiter's flashlight and eating by lamplight if you're having an evening meal.

Room Tip: Rooms are available that face the outdoors or toward the interior gardens/waterfalls/etc.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LouieBiz-com
New Albany, Mississippi
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I've been trying to take my mother to Opryland to see the Christmas decorations for years. This year I bit the bullet and took my 82-year-old mother, five and three year old granddaughters and myself to enjoy the Christmas specials there. We bought a package including Breakfast with Shrek and Fiona, the ice spectacular and a night with the Rockettes. The employees of the hotel could not have been anymore accommodating and helpful to us. All we had to do was ask for directions and most times we were escorted to the location searching for. The Entire experience was a bit costly, but it was a once in a lifetime trip for three generations to enjoy together. Also for the small difference in price, choose valet parking! We checked out during a terrible downpour. We never got a drop of rain on us' But the poor boy working the valet stand that morning was drenched!

Room Tip: We didn't pay the extra $75 a night to get an atrium view In the main lobby area but we had a vi...
usa
Reviewed December 31, 2012

While living in Orlando we thought it would be great to get away from the kiddies (like 55 million of them last year) for a Holiday retreat. Nashville was on my list, so we booked the Christmas Special at $900 for two nights and tickets for most everything. The hotel was fully booked, all 2,900+ rooms, and there were more kiddies than adults. It's a fantasy land with 2 million lights outside that they start putting up in July (wondering why they take them down) and 1 million inside. Great staff, very smiling and cheerful.
Shows: Lorrie Morgan - WOW she is a great entertainer, but dont' try to eat the food, in a word AWFUL. ICE - Almost too much and the kids are encouraged to go wild, not my favorite. General Jackson Riverboat - Food - surprisingly much better that that in the hotel? OK entertainment, so much shameless promotion - every band member, even the drummer has his own CD and they are plugged continuously. The band leader, eh - lame and so fat it's really kind of disgusting. After the show they leave the blind band member to fumble his way through his gear while the rest go to sign autographs when you buy their CD, weird. The seats - uncomfortable cheap banquet seats, they could really do better with this. The Rocketts - MARVELLOUS and amazing. I don't know how they do it, but it was FAN DAM TASTIC. Worth any amount of walking (miles) waiting (30 minutes) walking again, and then BAM - best off Broadway I have ever seen. Just do it! A plug for the shuttle bus drivers - each and every one of them was Cheerful and Jolly.

Room Tip: You can walk over a quarter mile to get to some rooms, pick one near the elevator! Delta area is a g...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank slogan1001
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I went to visit his son who lives in Nashville, TN and we all stayed here for the weekend to go to Shrek ICE and Shrek breakfast with his 6 year old. The whole experience was just a big disappointment!!! We arrived Friday afternoon, checked in and got to the room and expected more for over $200 a night plus $15 fee a day for 2 bottles of water, gym access that we didn't use, and wireless internet that didn't have a strong enough signal to work in our room and $20 for parking! The room was not that great for the price. The staff was not that friendly, the cleaning maid was nice on our floor but check-in staff, waitress at the Mexican restaurant, anyone else was not that friendly to us. I think that the restaurants were WAY over priced for the food quality. I don't think I will go back unless it is to visit and walk around. The lights and decorations were great, but that was about it. We went on a carriage ride and for the price thought it would be a little better again over priced. Overall experience, we were just not impressed at all. I don't think it helped that there was a National Cheerleading competition was going on either, girls running around everywhere and kept us up half the night.

Anniston, Alabama
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We signed up for the dreamworks experience because my son is obsessed with them. Considering what we paid we thought we might actually get to experience them. Instead you wait forever in line at meet and greets to take a 2 second picture with each. The 20 minute show was lovely but still did not make up for the cost. The shrek feast was yummy and the only food worth eating in the entire hotel. They nickel and dime you to death in this hotel and you truly feel like you've been robbed when it's over. I recommend paying $20 parking and walk around it and leave, the scenery is the only thing worth seeing. Oh and, Fuse Sports Bar and Restaurant is quite possibly the worst restaurant experience I have ever had and I know what I am talking about on this subject. Overall, it's worth seeing, but not staying.

1 Thank SandKE
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I arrived with my wife at the Opryland resort anticipating a great weekend getaway and found it slightly below average and disappointing. Our King sized room we had reserved was not available so we had to settle for smaller than average queen beds. Make sure you pre pay for your room and pay extra for the courtyard overlooking room. The line at check in was very long and the elevator lines are very long. The room is plain but clean the beds are average. The public spaces are beautiful but the rooms seem to get much less attention. For the price I don't feel the room is a goof value for the money.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family