“Things to know” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
Clayton, North Carolina
“Things to know”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I just returned from a 2 night visit at the Gaylord Opryland. We had purchased the Country Christmas package which in my opinion is not advertised correctly. The Holly Jolly Square is nothing more than a large room with a train ride which is only suitable for small children as well as some other children's rides. I saw nothing that resembled a nostalgic 1950's scenario. there was an area set up for photos with Santa that was cute, but other than that, most of this area was "children" oriented. The Hall of Trees was an area with decorated trees which were pretty, but I didn't feel that it was worth charging an admission fee for. Treasures for the holiday was in another smaller room with mostly jewelry vendors and clothing boutique items. The Rockette show and the Lorrie Morgan dinner show were both well worth seeing. The dinner served was very tasty and best of all the food was hot! It was interesting seeing the artistry of the ice carvings in the Ice show, however it was definitely geared more towards small children. The Delta Riverboat ride was enjoyable but cost extra. The most disappointing was not being able to take a carriage ride due to the fact that "tickets" sold out by 5 pm for the evening ride. The carriage rides operate from 5 to 11 pm, but nowhere is there a sign posted in the boarding area suggesting purchasing the tickets early. I wasn't the only one complaining about this either as I heard lots of other disappointed carriage ride lovers moaning! I never could figure out what the $250 VIP coupon book was about since we never received such a book! There is free shuttle service to Oprymills and also across the street to other restaurant options, but if I hadn't done my research beforehand, I would not have known about that! I had to physically go to the concierge and ask for a shuttle schedule. Wouldn't you think that one would be in your guest room? The information books in my guest room described the food served in the restaurants, but no actual menus with prices until you go to the actual eatery. The room was very clean and the bed comfortable. The landscaping inside is unbelievable. If you have limited mobility, you probably need to think twice about staying here since there is a lot of walking involved with a lot of stairways!! If you are looking for an "adult" getaway, great, but be prepared to share your space with lots of small children! There is only one concierge and registration area that serves the entire complex, so if you are not in a room in the Cascades section, be

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Crystal005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,562)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

How you ultimately feel about the G.O.R. might depend on what brings you: If you're there for a convention and have to move around from meeting to meeting, and if you require good wifi at all your destinations, you'll probably be disappointed. While beautiful, this hotel covers roughly half of Middle Tennessee. You'll get your exercise making all your meetings, and schedule plenty of time for getting lost thanks to the maze-like layout. And in meeting rooms with more than a couple of people testing the router capacity, well, good luck. If you're there for pleasure, getting lost can be a pleasure: the atrium gardens are very impressive, and there are many shopping and dining options of good quality. But you will may isolated, as the hotel is an island unto itself. But the staff is very cheerful and professional, and the rooms are well appointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank rip2632
Muscle Shoals, Alabama, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We arrived @ Gaylord Opryland hotel at 2:45 p.m. on 12/08/12. I was informed at check-in that the double queen bedroom that we had reserved back in October was no longer available. We were offered a single queen bedroom w/ 2 cots instead. I asked what happened to the room we reserved and was told we were not guaranteed any certain room and that was the best that could be done because the hotel was "OVEREXTENDED". I informed the lady that we had reserved the room during the first week of October and again was told that the hotel does not guarantee certain rooms and a single queen and 2 cots(room #6082) was the best they could but that the room was really nice and they would knock $75 off the room and give us a $100 credit in the hotel. The offer was nice but if it was about the money we would not have been staying there in the first place. I told the lady I would look at the room and see what my wife thought about it. We get to our room and find 2 cots already there, but no queen bed. Then we realize the queen bed was actually a pull out sofa bed. Are you kidding me?? We decided to keep the room b/c I had already been told there was nothing else available and my 13 month old was really needing a nap. I called the front desk to ask for 2 more cots for my wife and I so we would not have to sleep on the 2 inch mattress that folded out on the couch. The lady on the phone told me nicely that we could not get anymore cots to the room b/c we already had 2 of them,but she would see what she could do. She calls back and tells me that they have a room available w/ 2 queen beds, but it overlooks the outside and she needed a decision right then..We had booked a room that overlooked the Atrium and the room we were in did,and my son had finally went down for a nap so we declined. I leave the room to find someone to talk to about the problem and was told that who I needed to speak with wasn't available at the moment. While I was gone,the lady called back to our room and told my wife that they could send only 1 more cot to our room. My wife said ok and asked the lady where was I supposed to sleep and the lady told her "on the couch" and don't unfold it b/c it was a fire hazard.( I didn't realize I had booked a room at one of the Vandy frat houses.) I get back to the room and my wife tells me about the phone call and all I can do is laugh. By this time we are tired of dealing with the mess so we leave to go do what we had came there for. We get back to the room about 9:30 to find there was not another cot brought to our room, so we just say forget it. We order some room service and try to go to sleep on a bed that pulls out of a couch. During the sleepless night I realized that I had paid almost $400 to sleep on a sofa bed and cots. I could have paid $29 at the local NOhotel and gotten better service and a better night sleep. I also wondered if any of the Nashville stars would have had to sleep on a pull out couch bed or a cot. I figure probably not. Which is another problem for me. I was always taught that there were no rich,poor,or in between customers. They are only paying customers. Maybe that rule doesn't apply to the Gaylord brand but it should. My wife and I work hard for our money, and had been so looking forward to this weekend trip with our family, but just felt like money wasted and have never been so unhappy over a hotel stay. Neither of us have ever complained about any service that was bad unless we complained to each other about it. This time I just could not help myself. Yes, we were given a discount and a credit but like I said, it was not about the money. We wanted a great,fun,and happy weekend with our family. Instead we got a stressful, uncomfortable, and just horrible weekend. We just ask that you try to make sure this type of thing does not happen to other patrons of your hotel.

Room Tip: At this hotel just make sure you are getting the room that you reserved. We reserved a room 2 months...
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
14 Thank 571Amanda_M
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Nashville with a local seniors group and we stayed at the Gaylord Opryland, which was totally gorgeous with Christmas decorations. It would be totally gorgeous at any time! Since everything was taken care of for us, I can't speak to the reservations, check-in, etc -- it went without a hitch and all was ready for us. We all walked in, especially once past the hallways lined with our rooms, with that mouth-gaping WOW thing going on - as other reviews have stated, it was just beautiful and huge. We had made dinner reservations at the Cascades restaurant, and had a delicious but pricey meal. In fact, everything was pricey but we expected that and were prepared. The staff included lots of helpful people who were stationed at small "stands" throughout the resort to answer questions and to direct you to the many places we wanted to see. And, of course, everyone gets temporarily lost because even the maps don't always help you get from point A to point B. We did not choose an upgraded room which looked out over the various interior views since we didn't think we'd spend much time sitting on a balcony, people-watching; we were glad we'd made that choice. Our room was nice, not spectacular, and quite clean and comfortable. The WOW factor made us glad we'd come on the trip and stayed at the Gaylord. There are also numerous other attractions nearby, including the new Grand Ole Opry (saw a great Rockettes show there), a mall (ho hum - nice, but no different than anywhere else), and a multi-room ice carving collection that featured the Shrek characters this year. ICE changes each year and we were so glad we had tickets to see it - very elaborate and detailed by skilled ice carvers.
Now, for the not-so-greats: First, we were among the youngest of the seniors on the trip and we aren't sure how many people could actually navigate all the inescapable walking entailed, no matter the location of your room. Even a young person could get annoyed with the amount of time required just to get from one venue to another. For this reason, we would not stay here again. Once you've been there and seen it, many people will have no desire to do it again. Very very glad to have done it once, but that's enough. Secondly, beware the nickel and dime thing. We decided we wanted to go on the horse-drawn carriage and it turned out to be $10 per person for 15 minutes of carriage ride, a not-very-PC commentary by the driver (lots of comments about the nationality of the workers who put up the holiday displays, etc.), and the view is exactly what you can see driving in or out of the resort by bus or car. The interior boat ride around one area of the resort is another example. For the prices of the rooms, restaurants, and shops, that little ride could be free or very cheap; it's not, considering the brevity of the ride. On our last day, everyone was evidently booked for the same buffet breakfast restaurant as it had so many people waiting to get in that they had to shut down the stairway leading down to the food area. We stood in line for a long, long time, nervously thinking that our bus would be ready to leave before we'd had breakfast at all. Surely this was not the only time that had happened and it seemed to be very poor planning that nearby restaurants were empty while this one was way overcrowded and people squished together with more chairs than the tables were designed to seat! Lastly, part of the draw for this resort was supposedly a holiday craft show, a "Holly Jolly Town Square" and a hall of trees, decorated by and representing various merchants and companies. None of the three lived up to even a fraction of its billing. The craft show did not feature high or mostly even medium quality items, the town square was barely there and of little interest, and the hall of trees also was lacking much excitement. We ended up with extra time on our hands, took a taxi/van to downtown Nashville, and had a great trolley tour of the city with a very smart and fun driver. The Gaylord Opryland is a feast for the eyes, but you really need to get to Nashville itself to feel like you've "been there, done that". The Gaylord is enjoyable but maybe that feast is not a meal to be repeated.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cruiser44Ohio
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The hotel staff and group department has no idea what each other is doing. The group liaison told us to load and unload at the Cascades Canopy and also told our driver the bellman would pick up luggage. There is no way to pick up luggage as it is so busy. I received a call at 9pm that the luggage would come out at the Cascades Lobby. The keys for our rooms were not ready and the greeter, Brenda, gave all sorts of misinformation as well as talked down Nashville as a destination as well as how the Opryland Hotel operates its shows. She continued to tell the group if they weren't going to see The Rockettes (Which had been in our city of St. Louis just 2 weeks prior) or The Grand Ole Opry, they might as well have stayed home. I reported this to my groups contact but the damage had been done. She also told someone who was feeling ill they needed to go to their room because there were no public restrooms in the hotel close to where she was. Not true. It's also a good idea to gather your group at a meeting place they can find and take them to their destination, e.g. Lorrie Morgan Dinner Show, Holly Jolly Square, etc. It is a very confusing place with much walking. Be prepared for what your visit will entail if you have anyone who has walking limitations and may be prone to getting turned around. Parking at the hotel is $28 per night. A good option is to stay at Inn at Opryland or even better, the Guest House Suites, and use their shuttle to bring you to the complex. You get front door delivery, lower prices and no fear of getting lost returning to the room. Marriott has purchased the hotel so it will be interesting to see how that changes the hotel operation.

Room Tip: Find out if you are near a wedding party or loud group. There are large cracks around the doors and...
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We had a wonderful stay at the Opryland Hotel. The check in line was insane....but once inside, it was great! We waited maybe 10 minutes in the check in line. The lady who checked us in was super nice and helpful. The Marriott website did not allow us to choose our view or type of room. We are Marriott members, but it only gave us a choice of queen or King beds. She put us on the 6th floor over looking the Cascade Waterfalls. I wish we would have asked for a schedule of events for the Shrek Ice programs when we arrived. The hotel was very clean. The staff was very nice. Our room was cool when we walked in the door. The indoor pool was large and slightly heated. The hot tub was outside, but felt wonderful. The pools close at 10:00 which didn't make any of the kids there happy. The pull was still pretty full at 10. I have stayed at many hotels and have never seen a pool with handicapp accessible facilities for the pool and hot tub. The work out facility was large although we did not use it. I wish we would have known there was a shuttle to Opry Mills mall. Would have saved us a lot of walking! We saw it on the back of the room key card the last day. The Christmas lights were absolutely beautiful! We had a wonderful time walking around the walk ways, looking at the lights. We will definately be back! Our son was ready to cry when we left! The outside pools look like they would be great in the summer time. My only suggestion would be to make sure you eat before you arrive. Food is rather expensive. $4.75 per slice of pizza. Around $30 at Wasabi's. It is not the chain Wasabi's either. We walked to the mall and ate supper one night. It wasn't much better. Should have went to the Cracker Barrell.

Room Tip: Get an interior view room
2 Thank FrankieHawn
Waukesha, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I didn't stay at the Gaylord, but rather stopped on my way through Nashville. We spent a little over an hour and walked through all of the atriums to look at the holiday decorations. The hotel was clean, easy to manuever even with it's size, and generally a really nice experience. I had the idea that we would arrive and see lots of trees decorated, but it was not the case. Instead, you will find the gardens updated with thousands of poinsettas and enormous wreaths hung from the ceiling. The effect is absolutely beautiful.
Based on recommendations from previous posters, we parked at the mall near the Gaylor Convention Center and simply walked through the property. This saved us a few dollars in parking fees and allowed us to stretch our legs to see the entire property. Would love to return to see a show at some point in the future.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends