“Bigger is not always better!”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #51 of 154 Hotels in Nashville
Edina, Minnesota
“Bigger is not always better!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

This is an extremely large property, although you know that going in. The rooms are quite nice, once you find yours! The conference. Space is great, staff is helpful and pleasant. I took the shuttle from the airport (luxury coach) and they were able to check me in and give me my room keys at the airport! I am guessing that some of the things I didin't like was a factor of the hotel being full, but I called for room service only to find that it would be an hour wait. (this, despite their 30 minute guarantee) when I asked about the guarantee, I was told that didn't apply when they were busy. ???? Apparently, it only applies when it's convenient. I went in search of food and went around the entire property to find all restaurants to also have an hour wait. Ended up with a cold slice of pizza.
I would have liked a coffeemaker in the room, since I couldn't find a cup of decaf! I would also have liked a newspaper delivered to the room.
All in all, this is not my style of hotel. Once you are in the room it is fine, but going anywhere here is a 20-30minute walk.

1 Thank EdinaTraveler5105

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,866)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Madison, MS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

I really foved staying in this beautiful hotel. It was big and I did a lot of walking at the summit, but I loved looking at the waterfalls and the magnificant plants and gardens. I just sat and relaxed a lot.
All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful and seemed to want to make my stay a pleasant experience. Thank you for making my first trip to Nashville so wonderful. I WILL be back

Vashon, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

The Gaylord Opryland was the grandest and most luxurious hotel that I've ever stayed in. The facilities were excellent, from the hotel room to the conference rooms to the onsite shops and restaurants. The service was top notch as well. I can't think of a single complaint during my four night stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Charleston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

I was totally impressed with my room, the staff, and the beautiful gardens. I will return for many more visits. The staff completely impressed me with their professionalism and attentiveness. The gardens are really impressive.
Our event was held in the Magnolia Room...what a beautiful room. It was perfect for our event.

Room Tip: I simply asked the staff to place in the a room they would choose for themselves and it was just per...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Cincinnati, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

From start to finish, this was an excellent stay.

I was attending a conference and bringing my husband and little one along and after booking the room through the conference link, I called the hotel directly to make a few requests. The gentleman I spoke with was VERY friendly and accommodating and made notes of my requests.

Check in was a breeze! The young woman at the desk (Bailey, I believe) was extremely friendly and professional and confirmed my request for a crib in our room and a quieter area of the resort (due to bringing a little one along).

We loved our 6th floor room overlooking the Garden Conservatory and it was spacious, comfortable, stylish and CLEAN. The bathroom was very clean as well.

I can't say that we ate at any of the restaurants (as my meals were provided by the conference and my husband and daughter went offsite to meet up with family during the days), but there does seem to be an excellent selection of restaurants to meet any taste.

The resort itself is beautiful, clean and MASSIVE. I enjoyed walking the grounds and being able to find plenty of areas to relax and take a quick break between the programs that I was attending.

Financials to consider:
-resort fee per day (ours was reduced to $10 per day through the conference, but I believe it's normally around $13),
-$18/day for self parking (definitely a little pricey to me, but easy in and out access with your room key)
On site restaurants - the options available on site are more expensive than what I'm used to. My husband checked the pizza place and just couldn't handle $21 for a pizza after having paid $5 for an ice cream for our toddler. I do believe they offer all the menus (with pricing) online, so be sure to check it out and plan accordingly.

Overall, our stay was fantastic and it's a wonderful property. It's an great place for a conference!!! My only disappointment was that there was NO refrigerator in our room (G6042) and it states on the website that there are refrigerators in all the rooms. We had brought along some fresh fruit for our little one and unfortunately couldn't keep it for our stay because of this.

Room Tip: I asked for a quieter area of the resort because I had brought a little one along who would need to...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Ponoka, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

For $369 a night I was expecting a lot more, after 2 hours of looking around at waterfalls and plants the "magic" of it all disapeers and you are left wondering why you payed so much. $18-$28 per day parking, over priced food and staff that are very impersonible because its such a big place. My only advise if you are going to stay there is eat across the road, you will save over 50%, if not enjoy $4.50 cups of coffee and $15 hamburgers.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andy W
Palo Alto, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

This is a massive hotel in Nashville's "Music Valley" on the eastern side of town, near the new "Grand Old Opry".

As a hotel, it's excellent - rooms are standard, spotlessly clean and well looked after, large screen plasma TVs, etc. (no coffee makers in the room, however...) The bed was a bit stiffer than I'm used to, but I slept well. The climate control was excellent. The room had a small balcony, which was comfortable, and the wireless internet connection was excellent.

The hotel complex, however, is overwhelming - each of the "wings" of the hotel (Delta, Garden, Cascades, Magnolia) is so big it could be its own hotel. Some have huge covered atria, with gardens and waterfalls, while Delta has an entire shopping island in the middle (with boats you can take around the island). It is very easy to get lost going around from place to place - carry your pocket map of the hotel with you at all times. There is also a shuttle bus that goes around the complex and convention center, the Grand Old Opry, the nearby Opry Mills mall, and the General Jackson showboat; and another (ticket required) that can take you downtown to hear the music in the honky-tonks and bars.

For restaurants, we were booked elsewhere for dinners and had lunches in our meeting, so the only restaurant we tried was Cascades for breakfast. We had OK food but overall it was less than perfect. Twice our group (4 people one day, 8 the next) got extremely slow service; coffee took 20 minutes to arrive one day, breakfast overall took 75 minutes. I ordered the California breakfast (fruit and a muffin) and found bits of mold on the raspberries. Not the best, and the reason we can't give this complex 5 stars.