“Very Nice, massive convention hotel”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #49 of 157 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I recently spent 4 days in Nashville at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel for a company sales meeting. The hotel is both huge and beautiful. The indoor gardens are beyond impressive. The hotel is located about 7 miles from the airport but is not in downtown Nashville. In fact, it is way too far to walk from this hotel to downtown Nashville. However Nashville"s impressive downtown is only a short taxi ride away from the Gaylord Opryland. When guests check in they are given a map...you will need it, for a day or two. Large maps are also posted inside the hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. As other reviewers have already said, the rooms are nice but the bathrooms are somewhat smallish, with an extra sink. The food was very good but not great. In fairness, it's not easy to feed our group of 1,500 people all at one time. In short, if your company has a meeting at this hotel or you attend a convention at this hotel, I think you will enjoy your stay. However, make sure you get out of the hotel for at least one night and go to downtown Nashville for some great live music, great food or a Predators hockey game.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center

Reviewed March 7, 2012

What a magnificent hotel! Our hockey team was placed in the Opryland Hotel during a recent tournament in Nashville. Although we typically like all-suite hotels, we were excited about experiencing this hotel. And what an experience it was.

The boys on the team (ages 9-11), loved exploring the hotel in groups; and the team families enjoyed everything from the adorable shops, to the restaurants, to the exquisitely landscaped gardens and water features, and the bars. This hotel truly has everything you need. To put it simply, it's a small community within itself. You could stay there for months and never need to leave the property. The beds were extremely comfortable...very cushy-cozy, and the rooms were nice and large. There were only 2 bad parts. 1) The indoor pool was FAR from our room. We were in the Magnolia area, and the pool was all the way back at the front entrance of the hotel. With such a massive property, there should really be a few indoor pools available to guests. 2) I also don't understand the reason for the high price of parking on the property. There is plenty of parking, and if you're a guest of the hotel, you shouldn't have to pay so much (or at all). (We chose to valet park - but self parking was still $18 per day.)

The service was exceptional. The air wasn't working in our room (don't know why that always happens to me), and they came very quickly to fix the problem. The front desk staff and the concierge were very helpful & generous.

I would recommend this hotel to everyone for any reason. It would be a great romantic getaway for a couple, perfect for families, and also perfect for groups. We will definitely return to the hotel again, hopefully to see some shows at the Opry. It was a wonderful experience overall.

Room Tip: If want to make use of the indoor pool, spa or gym, stay in one of the areas close to the main entra...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank aysm
Reviewed March 6, 2012

One night stay in March 2012 for a large convention. Our room was a second floor garden room with 2 queen beds overlooking an interior atrium/garden area with a small balcony off double garden doors. The rooms are a sufficient size but the bathroom is pretty small with a "normal" tub/shower combo and single sink. There is a second sink and mirror directly outside of the bathroom. Nice decor and super comfy beds.

This was my first stay here and I can easily understand why it has become a top "drive-to" weekend destination. There was a long line at check-in but it moved VERY fast-the front desk staff was warm, professional, and efficient!

Several dining/bar options as well as boutique style shopping (nice diversion) are available on property. There were a few live-music options available during the week. Dining-I enjoyed the sushi bar for lunch!

This is a HUGE, very spread out facility-wear your walking shoes to explore (save the pretty shoes for when you're going straight to dinner). Keep in mind it is a bit humid in the atrium/conservatory areas since there are several water features including a for-a-fee boat ride.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I stayed at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel on Sunday, February 26, 2012, until Tuesday, February 28, 2012. I have stayed here in past years but have not been back to the property since the flood of 2010. It was good to return to the hotel once again and see the changes that have been made. My room overlooked the Cascade gardens. It was nice to open the balcony door, sit on the balcony and listen to the peaceful sound of the waterfalls. Since the flood, the hotel has lightened up the hallways with new lighting, new carpeting and made improvements in the overall appearance of the hotel. On the first evening, I had dinner in one of the new restaurants, a Mexican one, that was on the lower level of one of the gardens. I would recommend the hotel to others staying in Nashville if they are choosing a unique experience. The business center is operated by FedEx and does charge .40 cents per minute for internet access though.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We just got back from a convention at the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center yesterday. This was our first trip to Nashville and to any of the Gaylord hotels. When first entering the Cascades lobby to get registered, the attendants at the front entrance were very helpful and courteous. We registered and then went to park the car ($18/day for self-parking and $26/day for valet parking - we did the self-parking and had luck in finding a spot not too far from the Magnolia wing, which is where our room was located at - the $18/day parking fee turned into $19.67 per day with taxes, FYI). Armed with the colored map given to us at check-in (if you lose this map, there are plenty of "map stands" located throughout the resort to tell you "you are here" and you will be able to find your way to where you want to go from there then) we finally found our room. The experience of entering the resort for the first time was over-whelming for us as we've never stayed at a hotel so big. We stayed there for 6 days and nights and by the 2nd day, we were getting more used to knowing our way around. Take everyone's advice and bring comfortable walking shoes because you will be doing a lot of walking in this (9 acre) resort. It is beautiful inside of it though. As I stated, our room was in the Magnolia section and that was close by to the convention activities we were there to attend, so we were thankful for that. The room itself was nice, the beds comfortable, a large TV, a desk and chair, and an attractive bathroom. We did not pay the extra fee for getting an inside room (over-looking any of the atriums in the Magnolia, Garden Conservatory, Cascades, or Delta sections or wings) but our room still looked out over a fountain with palm trees between our room and the convention halls. I had read past reviews of the Gaylord before we left saying some people had to look out at the parking lots, but that wasn't the case for us and I was thankful for that. We ate all of our meals at the resort's restaurants, with the first night at Jack Daniels (I wanted to eat their 'southern fried chicken' to see if it was as good as what my mom used to make - it wasn't, but it was still good), Findley's Irish Pub (I had their fish and chips and it was wonderful - a little on the greasy side, but still a good meal), Stax (we had their hamburger and also their chicken sandwich baskets, they were ok - definitely the cheapest place we found to eat at at the resort - prepare to bring your wallet with you when staying at, and eating at, the Gaylord, it's not cheap), and Ravello's (an Italian Restaurant - I didn't know what was being offered on the menu, but the very nice waiter helped explain what everything was to me and the others at our table). I'd also recommend Haagen-Dazs for an after-dinner ice cream as that was very good too. There are many retails shops throughout the resort to buy anything from souvenir t-shirts to dresses to jewelry at (once again, bring your wallet as nothing is cheap). One of my favorite activities at night was watching the 'dancing' water fountain in the Delta section. It was complete with music and I hadn't seen anything like that before, so it was fun to watch. During the days when my husband was attending convention functions, I would go on long walks throughout the resort and look at (and take pictures of) all of the trees, bushes, flowers, water fountains and water falls - it was all so beautiful and lovely to look at and experience (especially coming from a snowy and cold northern state in late February and early March). The resort is expansive, beautiful, and an experience I'm glad I was able to have. I have to give kudos to the resort management also for the way they handled the tornado activity that was in the Nashville area on Friday, March 2nd. Because the weather service had predicted early enough that the (outdoor) weather conditions were ripe enough for probable tornado and severe storm activity that day, management had put under our door that morning a written statement with warning of what might be happening later on that day and how things would be handled in case of a tornado/storm emergency - which is what we ended up having late that afternoon. When tornado activity was "in the immediate area", the sirens blared inside of the resort along with continuing announcements made over the PA system (in every room and throughout the resort - you'd have had to have been deaf not to hear it) and everyone was told to go to the bottom level of the convention center area. Hotel personnel were everywhere to usher the guests to the designated area and once the all-clear was given, we were able to leave the vast basement and go about our business again. Overall, the Gaylord Opryland Resort was a wonderful place to stay and a neat atmosphere for us to experience for our first time staying in Nashville.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelNgal2
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Our first time in this hotel using a groupon that was suppose to be 1/2 price for a "junior suite". We were told this room is usually 400.00 a night. When we got to the room it was small & had the exact same amenities as a regular room that they offer for the standard 200.00 a night. So yeah, we got ripped off. I should've done more research on it and that's my fault. I thought since I heard so many people say how nice the resort was it would be worth it. We did look in the other rooms when we were leaving and spoke to the maids to see what kind of rooms they were & they were cheaper than ours & had the same stuff in them so no, I'm not exaggerating. They just used their groupon offer to get people in there.

The rooms come with a small fridge, but no microwave. You would think if they are charging people 400.00 a night for this room they would have one in there. We had 2 queen beds with room between them and the walls to lay our suitcase and that was it. The bathroom had a curved shower rod, but that was as nice as it got. The rooms were very clean, but nothing fancy.

If I would go again I would stay at the Hampton Inn across the street & just go visit the hotel for the day. It was pretty to walk around it and take pictures but we didn't buy anything in there. My black coffee cost me 3.50 and it was not a starbucks. Everything was way overpriced. We usually do stay at a Hampton while traveling and the rooms are much bigger & offer a lot more. They are also cheaper, breakfast included & free parking. When we arrived we paid 19.60 a night to self-park. The valet was around 26.00. They add taxes in everything. We looked at ordering room service for breakfast since the oatmeal
I brought I couldn't make without a microwave.. the oatmeal on the room service was 9.00 and 21% tax, plus 3.00 delivery! So if you have a lot of extra money & just want to throw it around then I guess you can stay here, other wise go across the street & stay then just go visit here.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else, request don't matter here so don't bother. There is a nice Hampton Inn...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I love Nashville so I'm biased in my review. Opryland Hotel is spectacular in many ways. They are very efficient checking people in. It's like being in a theme park, with lots of tourist shops and dining experiences. The landscaping is glorious! The temperature is nice and chilly and the property is very nice. It's huge and great for large conferences BUT it's not Nashville.

It's on the other side of town, kinda tacky touristy area with lots of buses. You could be anywhere in the world and not know it. Parking is not easy and very very expensive. On top of a high hotel rate there's a resort fee that's ridiculous, especially since parking is so difficult.

It's very easy to get lost but it's so pretty that you don't really mind. Most people are walking around confused.

It's a tourist hotel.

Since you're on the otherside of town it's worth getting tickets for the Grand Ole Opry. That's always a great show and it's a shuttle bus ride away.

Food - is fine, typical tourist kind of restaurants but the ambiance for some of the open atrium restaurants is very pretty. Very Disneylike but not geared for children. It's an adult, older adult, groups traveling together property.

I'm going back in a couple weeks.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business