“Bursting at the seams”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #49 of 157 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed December 13, 2011

We recently visited the hotel and satyed for one night. I was very excited to stay in the hotel for the Country Christmas festivities. We arrived early in the morning and checked our bags in and saw the excellent Radio City Rockettes show(Best part of the stay). After the show , around 130pm, we attempted to check into our room a little early albeit. The first issue we ran into was the reservation did not have connecting rooms, a major importance due to a 4y/o travelling with us. We were told our rooms would not be ready until after 3pm and they would call my cell phone when the rooms were ready. We decided to go and see the ICE show that was all hyped up. We got in line for the ice show and waited for almost 2 hours just to get into the freezer. No special treatment for actual hotel guests and no notice of how long the line was going to be. Not worth the wait. It took 20 minutes to walk through and slide down the ice slide. I was dissapointed at the wait time. Now it was coming up on 400pm and no phone call for the rooms. I went back to the desk and they told me the rooms were still not ready eventhough check-in is at 300pm. The desk person told me that they were full the night before and housekeeping was behind... no excuse hire more people..... We did not get into our room untill 10 minutes to five and had dinner reservations at 500pm.

The restaurant was cascades which was very good but, they must have been selling gold in the food because the bill was $275 for 3 adults with 1 bottle of the cheapest wine. I'm not sure why the food was so expensive. The next issue was that the hotel is so crowded that you cant do anything. Their is no special treatment for the people paying $200 - $300 per night. i WILL NOT STAY THERE AGAIN AND WILL NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center

Reviewed December 13, 2011

This was our third visit to the Opryland Hotel -- the first since the flood and remodel. Previous two visits had been lots of fun. I never grow tired of the landscaping and decorations in the beautiful atriums. We were eager to see the Christmas lights again.

Sadly, this visit turned out to be a disappointment, starting with the check-in process. I had reserved our room many months in advance: a king bed with an atrium view. When we checked in to the hotel, we were told that we were being placed in a handicap-accessible room that was "substantially similar" to a regular room. My husband and I have stayed in enough hotels to know that is really not the case. So we said that the handicap-accessible room was not going to work for us. The young lady registering us disappeared behind a wall for several minutes...we began to wonder if she would return...but then she did return and said everything was fine and that they had the right room for us. We got our keys and dragged our luggage to the room only to find another family already in the room! We apologized to the family, but they said, "Oh, this is not our room -- we were just told to wait here till our room was ready." Makes you wonder about the cleanliness of your room when someone else has been hanging out in it. So my husband and I walked in the room. It was a queen-sized bed with no view of atrium -- that is, unless you extended half of your body out the window and contorted your neck into some weird position. We called the front desk to say the room was not acceptable. It was a useless phone call, so we schlepped our bags back to the front desk. A pleasant young lady said to me, "How are you doing this evening?" I responded that it was my second trip to the front desk to obtain the room I had reserved, so she could imagine how I was doing. After we explained the situation to this staffer, she, too, disappeared behind a wall for many minutes. At this point, we asked to see a manager. Ultimately, we did get the type of room that we had reserved, and it had a lovely view of the Cascades atrium, but it took over an hour of our time and multiple trips to the registration desk. That's not acceptable for a hotel of this class, and sadly, it gave us a poor impression of the hotel.

As I have said, the decorations and landscaping in this hotel are incredible -- well worth a visit, particularly during the holidays. But there are too many other annoyances that will probably keep us away from the hotel for a very long time. There are not enough food venue choices -- I waited in line over 30 minutes just for a cup of coffee. The elevators are SLOW. The mattress was so old that it creaked any time someone moved in the bed. Housekeeping did not visit our room till after 5:00 pm. And upon check-out, it took about 45 minutes to get our car from the valet service.

I get that we were visiting during a busy weekend when the hotel was near max capacity. But this hotel should be better at handling large crowds. If not, they need to visit a Disney property or cruise ship because it can be done!

Room Tip: Try to reserve a room overlooking one of the atriums, but good luck getting the room type that you...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2011

The hotel was absolutely beautiful. Everyone was so nice and they went out of their way to make sure our stay was excellent. The Christmas lights outside and inside the hotel were so beautiful. We went to see ICE and it was incredible. The details of each piece was unbelieveable. Everyone should go to see it at Christmas time. Whether you are going as a couple, for a girl's weekend, or as a family. I don't know how a hotel this large can make you feel right at home but they do. I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the elevators and main hallways which will have more foot traffic.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 11, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Opryland Hotel for 2 nights for an US Army couples retreat. Everything was included for us, room-food-parking. The room was beautiful (although another couple on the same retreat got a bigger, nicer suite-like room which definitely was not right) very clean & modern, safe, tv, the works. The resort itself is amazing & you cannot see everything in a weekend-even though we tried. We were lucky enough to get to see it decorated for Christmas, and it was truly amazing. They do an awesome job. Remember this hotel is HUGE, I made the mistake of wearing high heels the first day & it killed my feet. Flats or sneakers are a must.
On the negative side, the food is mediocre for the price. We had a voucher for each meal ($15-breakfast, $15-lunch, $30-dinner) and it barely covered the price. We ate at Fuse Sports Grille for dinner 2 nights and we had issues with our orders on both occasions. The 2nd night they even gave us our voucher back.
Overall we had an amazing time even with the few set backs :) We would/will go back again someday!!

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed December 11, 2011

i really enjoyed my stay at opryland hotel. fabulous decor, very friendly staff excellent food. my
cousin & i enjoyed the lively conversation from bellhops to check-in staff. we learned alot about the hotels' history and were told a wonderful story regarding the flood that closed the hotel down.
the staff were so happy to work for the gaylord company, they were so good to the employees during
the rough times. i would recommend staying here at least once; you'll want to come back again.
it's worth the money you pay; i would pay a bit more for excellent service the hotel has. the decor is beautiful any where you look; our room was very nice and the bed was so comfortable. room service was excellent!!!! do yourself a favor and stay at the opryland hotel just one time; it's an
experience you'll never forget!!!

Room Tip: room was great, but i booked a premium with balcony for next visit
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Just home from a trying weekend at Opryland. Although the hotel is decorated in the grandest and most beautiful fashion the customer service leaves much to be desired. We opted for valet parking upon arrival due to the fact that we had our infant grandson and all of the stuff that accompanies a baby to carry. Valet was very efficient, glad we used this service. We promptly checked in, it was around 6p.m. We were given our room and this is where the challenge began. First of all the room was what seemed like miles away from check in! Upon opening the door to the room we realized that the room had yet to be cleaned. After driving all day, walking to what seemed like the ends of the earth carrying an infant and a baby in arms that was needing to be fed I was not a happy camper. We called the front desk and were told that they were sorry but we would just have to wait until they could get someone to clean it. Didn't we know this was their busiest time of year? After hanging up it occurred to me that sorry wasn't good enough and called back insisting that they at least comp us dinner while we sat and waited( til who knows when, no time frame given) for the room to be ready. As we were on the phone the valet arrived with our luggage so we had them put it in the closet. The front desk person called me back after we hiked back to the restaurant area and informed me that the best they could do is give us breakfast passes!She said that they would arrive under our door some time during the night. So on we went to dinner at their buffet restaurant ( food was slim pickings and not very good).We had a
$100 credit from the package I had purchased and had all intentions of partially using it for this meal. As luck would have it, we were informed that they could not charge the meal to the room because that machine was not working and we would have to pay by credit card!Needless to say ,even with all the twinkling lights around me I was not feeling the Christmas spirit, matter of fact at this point I was almost in tears. Well guess what? ....the breakfast passes never showed up! I called the front desk, of course now all new people and after 10 minutes on hold the gentleman said that they had the passes and would send them up right away which did happen and all was well with that. When we finally got into our room it was generally clean however right in the middle of the floor was a french-fry???Guess they did not bother to vacuum. On a positive note many of the staff at the hotel were friendly and accommodating. The place is just beautiful. The grounds are to die for. The massive amounts of people at the hotel was way too much for me. Really hard to even walk around, bumper to bumper people! Don't think I will ever go there again especially not at Christmas.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
GaylordOpryland, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2011

Thank you for posting your review. I was disheartened to read of your troubles as the lack of room cleanliness and poor service are certainly not within our resort standards. I have shared your review with our executive leadership team to help ensure this will not happen in the future. I have sent you a message via TripAdvisor in hopes that we can connect to gather additional information. My sincere apologies to you.

Reviewed December 10, 2011

Opryland hotel is a destination, not just a hotel at Christmas. The standard rooms are no larger than a typical Holiday Inn, but the furnishings are upscale and the bathroom products were superior! I had a single King room with an exterior, parking lot view. The hotel has SEVERAL different restuarants and rooms service. I had a $19.95 room service breakfast that I ordered the night before ot be delivered at 8:30am. At 8:29am, I had my breakfast. Eggs, Hashbrown Caserole, Toast Sausage links, butter, preserves, a cooked tomatoe, asparagus and orange juice. It was hot and delicious. Check out was fast and done through the TV. Parking is $18 per day even if you are a guest. There is a $15 per day resort fee. I would definitly stay there again.

Room Tip: ALWAYS ask for a discount or upgrade. Be polite and grateful and sometimes it works.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo