“The best engagement I could have asked for!”

Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Yarra Glen
Reviewed October 22, 2011

My darling (now) fiance took me here for a weekend of indulgence and a proposal. It was truly romantic and wonderful. The rooms were gorgeous and very spacious (we had a spa suite). We had a lovely view over the vineyards. The restaurant is sensational. If anything, I think the property is a little overpriced, though they do go out of their way to make you feel special on arrival. We were welcomed with a glass of champagne in the reception. We had a lovely bottle of wine waiting for us in our room and the next night, when we returned from our dinner (when my darling proposed) the room was scattered in rose petals, candles, massage oil and a bottle of champagne! Though I think he paid extra for this service. It is a great location for exploring the Yarra Valley and while I don't know exactly what he paid (he told me it was VERY expensive so I have no doubt it was a lot), I would consider staying elsewhere next time. We would like to consider our wedding here, but I think they are a bit overpriced. Still, if it is romance you are after, this is a great place!

Room Tip: Try and stay here when there is a special on Cudo's or Wotif without paying full price!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa

Reviewed October 16, 2011

I got a special voucher on cudos for 2Nights in a privilige suites for $399 and it was well worth it!! I prob wouldnt have purchased the rooms for its full price though.. just couldnt justify that. The room itself was rather nice. Wasnt as big as I thought it would be considering they entitle it "privilige" but it was a good size with balcony, spacious lounge, big bathroom (with a big round spa that took a little while to fill but all worth it and adequate bedroom. We had room 314 which was close to the parking area and to the restaurant/cellar and health facililties (which we didnt have time to enjoy).

C/I and C/O process was quick and we were served by a ERIK a lovely front office staff which provided us with all necessary information and effectively managed our toilet blockage problem. The Cuvee and strawberry on arrival was a nice first meet and greet touch!

Our special deal included breakfast for both days which was fantastic as we were able to rise up abit late and just walk to the restaurant and had their buffet meal which was rather nice with good varieties in hot and cold food. The Nespresso machine and T2 tea varieties was put into good use. So I do recommend booking the b/fast deal if you're staying here. We also had dinner there at Rae's Restaurant the first night as we realised there was no kitchenette just a microwave in the room. It was the choice of 2 or 3 course meal and since we were there for our 2nd year anniversary we decided on the 3 course meal. Dinner booking was not allowed between 7-8pm which was wierd coz there were alot of tables available during the time we were there from 6.30..? Although the dishes were nice alot of the ingredients didnt complement each other (like previous posts have stated). Our dinner took way over 2 hrs coz each courses took about 30min or so to come out.. so by the time we got back to our room we were exhausted!!

I do recommend the Mandala's Wines restaurant nearby - The food was more local and Organic which was what you expect to get for the Yarra Valley. They're abit quiet maybe because the name isnt out there yet but the place is rather nice and service was great.

Other then that.. with some many different vineyards out there I think the Yering Station Winery is a must visit! - Great local produce and wine. Also try our Domaine Chandon and try to come for the guided tour at 11am, 1pm and 3pm.. if you wanna know abit more abt how wine are made.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sueyluey03
Reviewed October 15, 2011

We booked our rooms months before, deluxe suite top floor. When we rang to confirm the day before, had clash with staff re our booking, they had not sent an email. Found out they had spelt it wrongly!
When we arrived we were given a room on bottom floor stairs in front of us which children ran up and down.
Next morning went to desk and they were very helpful arranged a top floor room, which was lovely, quiet and very well presented! We ate in the restaurant and were very happy with our service, staff were lovely, good menu at night and we enjoyed it all. Breakfast was lovely, all the usual and home made pastries too. We are early risers so plenty of food and great service.
They have wine tasting area next to the restuarant, good promo for wines, which we had with our meal!
I had a massage and again the staff were wonderful, friendly and caring.
We know the area well, so did not travel at all and stayed in.
We enjoyed our stay and recommend the Estate for other couples, who wish to relax and take time off.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a confirmation email! so no annoying mix ups!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank elinas
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Service is excellent. We had a great room, very spacious with separate bathroom, toilet and living area.
Food is very good, we had lunch and brekky in the restaurant
I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the wines. Although on reflection I shouldn't have been given Balgownie's history.
We only stayed overnight, however would be a great spot for a weekend or even longer.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I travelled as part of a corporate group attended a trade and media function. The resort was used as the overnight accommodation and breakfast venue while events were held elsewhere.

Location is superb in Victoria's glorious Yarra Valley, set amid vineyards and gardens. Be sure to try the White Rabbit locally brewed ale.

My one BR suite (311) was large by any standard complete with spa bath. Living area spacious and comfortable. No Wi-Fi in rooms, cable only, but wireless in lobby, dining and bar.

Staff were polished, helpful and attentive at all levels. Thank you. Hope to be back at a later time for a more thorough experience.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Roderick E
An Accor traveler
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 11, 2011

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank An Accor traveler
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We checked in for a 2 night stay in a 1 bedroom deluxe suite. The room itself is great. We shared a bottle of cuvee on arrival on our balcony which had great views of the region. There is a separate living area to the bedroom with lots of room.
We had dinner at Rae's on the first night and paid $60 per head for 2 courses. Wine on top of this. The food was good and what you would expect from this sort of restaurant.
Breakfast was average. We got there at 9am and there was not much left. We literally had the scraps. They started brining more food out at 9.30am and I noticed a few guests complaining at the lack of food.
Wine tasting was great and very informative.
We had room service tonight and the food was fine. I was dissapointed as we ordered burgers and a salad, the burgers actually came with a salad and we wish they would have told us at the time.
Would highly recommend this place to get away from the city.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Vibe Hotel Marysville
Vibe Hotel Marysville
#1 of 2 in Marysville
Yering Gorge Cottages

Been to Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!