“Pleasantly surprised”

and 1 more site!
Yarra Valley Guest House
Ranked #7 of 7 Yarra Glen B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 15, 2011

After a booking this place at last minute, I was slightly conerned after reading some of the previous reviews! However, although we only stayed one night we thoroughly enjoyed it. The owner Tony is an eccentric Italian and sometimes can be hard to track down but we had a few laughs with him and he was generally pretty helpful. Despite an initial musty smell when we arrived, the room was clean, modern and spacious with a lovely balcony overlooking the gardens. The location is excellent and it's good value for money, being one of the cheapest places to stay in the area. Highlights were the king size bed and a midday check out! Would stay again.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JRB81

Reviewed November 13, 2011

I had really high hopes for this guest house but websites can and do carry old photos! Our keys were left by the entrance door and we did not see any staff until the following morning. We were travelling with friends from the UK and this place needed to be special. The rooms were not as indicated on the website photos, they were rather tired with well worn furniture and not at all 4 star. On further inspection they were dirty and had not been properly cleaned. Dust and dead insects were everywhere. I complained the following morning and was promised that action would be taken. On our return that evening , a small amount of vacuuming had been done , but the advertised daily mini clean had not. Towels were on the floor, dirty glasses had not been replaced and bins were not emptied. The owner visited that evening and actually agreed that dust and flies were everywhere. The following morning at breakfast, I asked for the bill and a a discount for the sub standard stay. The owner became very aggressive and called me an ugly English backpacker! He told me pay and leave. The rates we had to pay were definately out of backpacker range. He continued to be very rude and greatly upset our friends one of whom is an elderly gentleman aged 79 years young! If you are considering this guest house please think again. I have never been spoken to in such a rude and offensive manner in many years of travelling worldwide. The only positives I can comment on are the location was good and there was a nice dog and cat!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank australia2sardinia
Reviewed October 30, 2011

At first glance an idyllic setting. The disappointment set in when we discovered that the twin room we had booked consisted of 1 king and 1 pullout bed - and we were being charged extra for this. Then on closer inspection the room was filthy with dead flys, dessicated worms and cobwebs littering the room.
There was no-one available to greet us - just a letter telling us which was our room.
Our first contact with anyone was at the abyssmal breakfast the following morning, after I had had an uncomfortable night on the pull out. In my father's words it was the Marie Celeste. Breakfast was served in another dirty room on cafeteria style tables with not enough fruit to go around,some cereal and some toast - all self service with no clearing away of dirty dishes.
I asked the staff member about internet access(which is advertised as being available) and was directed towards a computer in the corner which again was filthy. The floor was littered with dead flys and moths and the keyboard was an inch thick in dust. I was unable to boot up the computer as it was password protected with no password available. Even the member of staff didn't know the password and there was no wi-fi available for me to use my laptop.
A friend I was travelling with took this opportunty to politely point out that our rooms needed a good clean and the member of staff agreed with this and promised to pass our concerns on to the owner.
We returned after a wonderful day out around the wineries expecting clean rooms and internet access. We were disappointed. A lame attempt had been done to clean the rooms. However even the bins had not been emptied or towels changed as promised in the literature left in the room. I also had no internet access and I was trying to check up on a close friend who had just had major surgery.
The following morning, after a painful night on the pullout, at breakfast (which was a repeat of the previous days and still not ready at 9am) we at last met the owner who told us that we were in the country and should expect dirt, that the dead flies and dust were our own fault for trying to light a fire - we hadn't - and leaving doors open - we hadn't. He then became very personal and implied that we were "dirty backpackers" and gave us even more personal abuse.
All in all this was a horrendous experience at a dirty hotel with an owner who wasn't prepared to listen to our concerns and even became aggressive towards us.
What a shame as it has so much potential in a beautiful part of Australia where accomodation is needed.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank Nicky H
Reviewed September 16, 2011

We stayed 2 nights and loved it. The service was a little iffy -having to sit in reception for 1 hour waiting for someone and having to go looking around the rooms for someone.
Beautiful surroundings and so peaceful

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Stayed one night here in the peaceful surroundings of Yarra Glen. Our suite was standalone and had a great spa bath. Very spacious and well appointed! Great electric fire place as well. Definitely recommend!

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cam_and_kylie
Reviewed July 21, 2011

This is our second visit and again another enjoyable stay, would recommend the studios they are well appointed and comfortable and the great gas fire just divine for those cold winter nights.

Room Tip: Book a studio, away from main building, cosy and private
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DeV67
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We concur with the other unfortunate "double booked" traveller. When I read their email I thought to myself that it wouldn't happen twice, "wrong". We had booked two weeks prior to our weekend away in the Yarra Valley and on the Tuesday before we were due to stay at the Guest House they rang and advised that they had double booked our room. Why it took them so long to work this error out I am not sure but why were we the ones to miss out on the room. The only thought I had was that we had only booked for one night and when someone else came along and wanted two nights, they gave us the short shift. Fortunately were able to find other accommodation (which was fabulous) but we were informed by others that I phoned that this was not uncommon for the Yarra Valley Guest House to double book!!!! So if you contemplate staying at this guest house get it in writing, double check it everyday and ask them to give you a deposit to ensure your room is not double booked.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
#6 of 7 in Yarra Glen
De'Vine Escape
De'Vine Escape
#1 of 2 in Dixons Creek

Been to Yarra Valley Guest House? Share your experiences!