“Disappointing - noisy verandah room - crowds of loud people outside our window”

Yarra Valley Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Yarra Glen
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 7, 2010

We were charmed by the old worldliness of the building, and decided to enjoy he experience of staying in a place full of history with our visiting American friends. We paid extra for verandah rooms - but didn't realise we would be sharing the verandah with what seemed like half of the Hotel Residents. Don't do it! There was a business meeting outside our window, so had to pull the curtains to get changed for dinner. When we asked the staff what was the policy regarding use of the verandah, they either did not know what went on, or else lied. Later, after all the staff had left the premises, other guests returning from dinner elsewhere came stamping up the staircase behind our room, and met up for loud socialising on the verandah. Trips downstairs to replenish supplies for their party on the verandah kept us from sleeping for some time. The staff were advised in writing the next day, but this was simply ignored. On the plus side, the location was convenient, they had great Egyptian cotton towels in the bathrooms, and we enjoyed a fun trivia night.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank leisuretravellady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Boston, MA
Reviewed February 13, 2010

A wonderful two-night stay! My goal was to cruise the Yarra Valley in a rented convertible Holden Astra and take in the wines, the winery food, and the lovely valley landscape. I booked this hotel because there really isn't much choice, but now that I've beenthere, I would not even look at other choices... and I *will* be back. It's country out there, so don't expect city service... no, this is the real deal: lovely, nice, friendly (not just helpful) people that make you feel like you're with family. The pub is also terrific, and they had a great live accoustic blues singer there on Thursday night. I didn't try the food, but judging by the crowd (and on a Wednesday in this town where do they even COME from??) it is hugely popular. The Room was remodeled victorian with a balcony which is shared by three rooms on the second floor. The bath was modern with no tub. Everything looked nice and well-kept with fresh linens. I accidentally left my Do Not Disturb sign on the door for the first day I was there and they handled that very nicely. There's not a whole lot to do in the town - about two blocks of stores, but there are antiques, a great Tea Store, at least two bakeries for brekkie, and a good convenience store - everything you need. The location is perfect for winery hopping - you are smack dab in the middle of the valley and 5-15 minutes from all the great wineries. Recommendation: lunch antipasto and sparkling wine at Tokar winery... wow. You are also a short drive from Healesville where the animal sanctuary is a must-see (and there is a brewery in town, too!). Note: this listing is the only place I ever saw the word "Quality" in the name - it's just "Yarra Glen Grand Hotel", I'm pretty sure.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Sunshine Coast
Reviewed August 30, 2009

The purpose of our trip was to help put some $$ back into the area so we stayed 2 nights in the Tower room. It was clean and comfy and very different to the average B&B accomodation but not luxurious. The photos and blurb don't tell you its a pub in the main street and I thought the price just a fraction too much. Dinner for two was included in our deal so that did add value. The food was absolutely fantastic and we went back to eat there on the second night. The pub is a very popular with locals and was even busy on the Monday night. We did a wine tour with Yarra Valley Winery tours who picked us up at the hotel and dropped us back there. The fires have impacted on this area even though all the media attention is on surrounding areas so visit the area to really help the local economy.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tripinaround
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 16, 2009

The Yarra Valley took a real beating during the February 2009 bushfires, but I strongly recommend this hotel if you are doing some of the local wineries. The Yarra Glen Grand is a wonderful hotel experience. All the guest rooms have apparently been renovated, our room and ensuite were extremely comfortable - done up recently but in a classical Victorian style. On arrival, I thought the main street noise outside our first floor balcony room (Room 2) would be annoying at night. However, traffic had died away to nothing by about 10 pm. The night we stayed, guitarist Lloyd Speigel was playing on the restaurant. This was great over dinner, but I thought this might go on too late, it being the Thursday before Easter. It had finished by about 10.30 however, so there was no noise to deal with in the guest rooms upstairs. (The hotel seems to cater for passing tourists like me, and locals who go to bed reasonably early!)

The service in the hotel is very friendly and efficient, from the front desk to the bar. Its not too ostentatious, just very efficient and welcoming. The food is an absolute winner - a 2 course dinner and continental breakfast being included in our mid week package. I was honestly pleasantly taken aback by the quality of the food. I live in central Melbourne and often eat out (and am regularly annoyed by poor food in my local area!!). So it struck me as bizarre that I had to drive to the Yarra Valley to eat the best calamari I've had in a long time! The theme of the hotel is to support local produce and wine, and it works very well. Breakfast is a standard continental breakfast, with local jams and fruits. (But no marmelade!!)

Note; There is not a lot to do in Yarra Glen itself. But it does have several great antique shops- the one opposite the hotel is enormous and definately worth a browse.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NickMurphy
London
Reviewed April 24, 2008

We loved our stay at the Yarra Glen Grand Hotel. We had a comfortable room overlooking the front street. The bathroom was large and the tiling was from the 1920's..very grand. The bed was a little small but very comfortable. Don't be tempted to take the back stairs to the restaurant. They are extremely steep and you find yourself compensating by having to lean backwards. On our last day there, one guest went down them carrying a suitcase...the suitcase was pulling the guest forwards so the guest ditched the suitcase and it went flying down to the lobby!!
We ate in the hotel one evening and it was really good...I thought the menu would just be burgers & chips etc but I was very surprised..lovely starters and very good mains, very tasty and lots of it...hubbie was pleased!! I would recommend the hotel, very good value for money and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa
Tuck Inn Yarra Valley
Tuck Inn Yarra Valley
#1 of 21 in Healesville

Been to Yarra Valley Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!