“Mixed feelings”

Yarra Valley Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Yarra Glen
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Had the worst meal I think I have ever ordered in a restaurant.... Expensive and indelible. My Thai curry had a 5x5cm piece of ginger in itmwith no other vegeables and no coconut milk in the sauce at all just a green slime. Never going again! $18 for a wine and a beer at the bar is really overpriced also. Chicken Parma looked good however....

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lilbee99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I notice the reviews here are pretty mixed. I'm surprised because we enjoyed a very pleasant lunch at the Grand. The menu, while not extensive, covered all the obvious choices and the wine list was surprisingly broad. We chose the three course lunch set which was good value at $32 a head. The entrees (Bruschetta and Dips) were okay. The mains (Fish and Pasta) were fresh and tasty and the desserts (Panna Cotta and Creme Brulee) were really good. It was a lovely day and we had an enjoyable lunch on the verandah of this historic hotel.

The downside...? The bar staff were MIA (missing in action). They were never around to serve me (or anybody else) and twice I had to organise a search party. Then there was the young 'lady' who continued to stock the fridge right in front of me, knowing I was waiting. Finally, after several minutes and some noises of frustration from me, she turned around and uttered the most grating words you can ever hear... "Are you right"?
Why the %^&$# does she think I'm standing there?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PANTHER029
Lilydale
Reviewed December 26, 2012

you know when your food is cold when you have ordered steak with garlic butter and the butter stays solid. Chips may have well been frozen still. Never again. Shoud be ashamed of themselves. As a local Im very dissapointed

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank William B

Travelers are raving about these Yarra Glen hotels

Ringwood, Australia
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Came in to eat on Sunday. Food menu was dreadful. No choices on the menu, beer was flat, service was poor. Took 20 minutes to get my starter. Toilets were disgusting. I just got the feeling that nobody really cared.

Don't bother... Plenty of other places to visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Toby D
Frankston, Australia
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Hubby has been sick since Saturday night Chick Pea dish and now my Chicken Parma is starting to kick up!
Apart from that the food was O.K.
The barmaid was pretty good. But the drinks are expensive.
I ordered an Ouzo and coke and a Pinot Noir. She said try this. So I did. Then she said that will be $19.50. I said No I don't want the bottle I just want the glass!

Room Tip: What a horrible looking place. There is room in a room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We booked the tower suite and it was great fun -three levels taking the whole tower and access to the roof. The suite was a bit dated but clean and pleasant. Be prepared to be up and down the stairs a fair amount but that's part of the attraction.
The meal in the restaurant was excellent - The braised pork cheeks and pan fried pork fillet were cooked to perfection. Service was a little slow but given the number of plates coming from the kitchen that was understandable.
A continental breakfast was included in the tariff and included nicely cooked rhubarb, mixed berries and a creamy yoghurt.
Worth returning to.

Room Tip: If you don't want to climb stairs try on of the balcony rooms, overlooks the main street and a p...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My work colleague and I went for a few drinks for a after a hard days work, we were greeted by what can only be described as some one who cares less about customers than a rabid dog! Before we even had chance to order a drink we were told they would close soon so we better watch what we order, then she went on to belittle a foriegn tourist because "she could not understand their language" and what they were asking for, we explained to her what they wanted, if she took a minute of her obviously precious life to pay them some attention she might have learnt something, I am a local to the town and personally know the owner, this is the last time I will enter that premises, a bunch of trumped up teenagers running what used to be a good buisness does not make for a pleasant experience! I trust she had a good nights sleep as that was all she was verbally concerned about.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa
Sanctuary House Resort Motel
Sanctuary House Resort Motel
#2 of 3 in Healesville

Been to Yarra Valley Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!