Holgate Brewhouse at Keating's Hotel
Gisborne Motel(Gisborne)
  • Spa
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 30, 2011

My partner and I stayed at Keatings Hotel recently after I purchased the accommodation/3 course meal package on Wotif as a birthday present for my partner. We had been there previously on a day trip and sampled their beers which were amazing, however we had not eaten there. I thought if we stayed overnight, we could enjoy a nice meal and sample as many beers as we liked. Unfortunately, the meals were quite out of the ordinary. Nothing like I expected. We dined in the restaurant and as much as it was cosy, we felt a little isolated from the rest of the pub, as this is where all the action was. I had the steak which was grilled nicely although it sat on a bed of bacon rashers and was accompanied by two huge sliced of black pudding! (not very appetising) There were no vegetables...My partner had the stewed venison, which was accompanied by large slices of cooked lemon rind...and no other vegetables to be seen. When he stumbled across the lemon rind and took a bite, he nearly gagged! It was so sour, and ruined the whole meal! I will go on to say that as much as the main meal was sub standard, the desert was actually very edible.. I have heard that their pub meals are much more pleasant than their restaurant meals, so I would advise sticking to the pub grub! Apart from that, our accommodation was very satisfactory, service great, and beers fantastic! Overall 7.5 out of 10!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Good Points :-
* Great Location (centre of town, near tennis courts, near Tourist Information Centre, supermarket, good restaurants, short drive to Hanging Rock)
* You're staying above a microbrewery. The beers here are tasty, brewed on the premises and you get first dibs on every fresh batch. I got to try their chocolate porter literally the day that it was bottled and you get to bring your pints up to your room!
* Good Food. The Pub Grub was lovely. The Fish & Chips in one of their own beer-batters was excellent and so was the steak.
* Staff were quite knowledgeable about their beers and the tasting paddle was great.
* There is quite a good restaurant down the road. I forget the name but like anywhere you go to, ask the staff where to dine. There is a good pub somewhere in the area, I forget the name, slightly pricey but once again great food!
* There is a bottle shop somewhere in the town with great beers in their fridge. Think Belgium and Trappist beers.
* Staff were friendly and very laid back (in a good way).
* Locals were very friendly, from the staff at other pubs and restaurants, staff at hanging rock, the tennis courts and the tourist centre. They were all lovely.
* Room was comfortable and had a good view.
Bad Points:-
* Pricey - Rooms are quite expensive for what they are. We were using one of those group-buying coupons so it was alright. I would never pay full price for this kind of accomodation.
* Our room had a good view, but there were a few cracks here and unsightly corners there that sort of melted away that illusion of grandeur that all good hotel rooms evoke.
* My biggest gripe was that beers were not any cheaper at the venue, considering that they were brewed literally a few doors down. I often got cheaper Holgate beers from the supermarket across the road.
* Their food was good but slightly pricey.

Overall, it's comfortable accommodation, nothing fantastic, and certainly quite pricey. Having said that, everyone is friendly, rooms are spacious and have great views, there are amenities and a national park nearby; so it is definitely worth a look, especially if you are passionate about your beers.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2011

Staff were really helpful in putting together a great value conference package for us including a brewery tour, use of leadlight room, breakfasts, rooms and evening meals. I emailed the request and they sent me a quote the next day which I thought was great service. The brewery tour was pretty basic but the guy running it was enthusiastic and entertaining and the tasting afterwards was fun! Meals at the restaurant that evening were enjoyed by all and all in all we had a great night out. Rooms were okay but I thought extremely overpriced for what they were. They came across as though they had been renovated but in a half hearted kind of way, as in even though they were renovated the rooms still just felt like your average 'above the pub' kind of lodgings which I am used to paying closed to $70-90 per night for and certainly not $170. I guess your paying to stay at the brewery rather than to stay in the rooms, that said I'm glad we got a discounted rate becaue of our conference and that it wasn't me paying! So, all in all, eat, drink and tour at Keatings Hotel.... But you might find better value staying in a close by motel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Servicewithasmile83
Reviewed January 2, 2011

This was to be where we spent New Year's Eve over dinner, with good food and wine and the possibility of a band but we didn't last that long and chose instead to return to our accomodation up the hill after dinner.

The beer is great, the location is great, Minnehaha was great (our frazzled waitress - dressed up according to the theme that night) but the food doesn't quite live up to its price point. Most of us really enjoyed our starters although the nuts had to be sent back twice - burnt and I'm not sure where the Moroccan flavours were. There's some clever ideas in the menu but they haven't been fully developed. For example the pickled raspberries were excellent but the cold sweet potato sticks seemed a bit odd.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 21, 2008

We stayed the one night at this hotel (part of the Holgate Brewhouse) on one of their accommodation packages.

This bundled a Village View room with a 3-course meal for two plus two of the brewery's tasting 'paddles', and hot breakfast.

Check-in was efficient and cheerful and the room met our needs. As a previous reviewer mentioned, the lack of exterior handles means that you have to let the door bang to ensure that it shuts, but this didn't cause any undue problem for us. Adding a simple external pull handle wouldn't go amiss, however.

The meal was excellent, albeit a little on the pricey side, and we left feeling nicely full. The bar & eating area is quite cosy, and a table by the fire was welcome on a late Autumn evening.

Breakfast was good, including espresso coffee (often a paid extra at the more expensive places I stay for business) and a good selection of hot & cold options.

If we were staying in Woodend again, we would happily stay at Keatings.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family