“Hotel was basic but perfect for the price. Cold pints and good pub meals.”

and 1 more site!
Alpine Retreat Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Warburton
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Hotel was basic but perfect for the price. Cold pints and good pub meals.

Great location in quaint town with plenty of dining options. Bring or rent a bike and cruise the rail trails or hike up to the falls.

Would recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Alpine Retreat Hotel

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed here for a night on the way through. The room I had was large, had both an electric heater and a reverse cycle air con in my room. It was a cold night (8 degrees) outside, but I was fine. The bar downstairs is great, and a good range of food to order.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the atrium are quieter (ie outside facing rooms of the building)
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I've stayed at the Alpine Retreat twice before but many years ago. I booked it again for a night's accommodation after a ride on the Warburton Trail. We booked a cheap double room with shared bathroom a few days before. The room was basic but clean, although the bed was as rickety as anything! However after having a nice dinner in town, we went to go to bed relatively early only to find that there was a party in full swing in the Atrium (our only window faced onto this) and the punters had just decided to turn the music up full bore! We asked if we could be swapped, even to pay a little more but were told there was nothing available and basically treated as if we were problematic. I think it's really bad management to book a party into a space that faces onto accommodation (our room was one of many that faced the party space). Or not to warn us when we booked. So we were treated to the best (worst) of the 80's until midnight mixed with increasingly drunken drivel.
On the next morning, I went to have a shower in the shared bathroom and found that after the shower heated up to a scalding temperature, I couldn't turn on the cold water tap. I'm no weakling but that tap wasn't moving! I had to scoop slightly cooled water from the bottom of the flow to attempt to get the soap out of my hair without burning myself.
I couldn't recommend either of these experiences to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank walkingaboutchops
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband booked this hotel for a night away with our kids. I didn't venture inside the hotel but went straight to our room. It was freezing cold and looked old and dirty. Our 7 year old commented that the room smelt. Needless to say that we didn't stay that night and ended up finding other accommodation. I do want to say that my husband commented that the staff were lovely.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2013

These hotel rooms are nothing like the picture.
We were on a friends weekend and although not fussy we expect more for $100 a night cost.
Arrival through the back from the car park which was pretty unimpressive, through some renovations which were very messy.
We can accept all of those things however on walking up an old staircase, not good for anyone with any problems, they were exceptionally dirty which wasn't a good sign. On entering our rooms we were met by a cold blast as the window was open airing the room and the heaters weren't working! The linen looked cleanish but that was it, it was dirty dirty dirty and smelly
but the very worst thing was that the toilet hadn't been cleaned (if you know what I mean) and the rest was dirty as well. I can go on. As we didn't pay a deposit we booked into Oscars down the road which was beautiful and cost $190 including breakfast not much more considering what you get.
It really needs a lot of work even to bring up to the standard worthy of the $100 price.
I would not recommend this hotel if you want a nice comfortable hotel.

Room Tip: None that I saw.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2013

First overnight stay in beautiful Warburton. Best choice of accommodation, the room was spacious had an ensuite with a big deep bath. The highlight was the huge windows overlooking the Yarra River with the mountains in the background. The staff were casual and friendly, letting us check out late. We also had dinner downstairs in the Pub Dining room. A typical traditional generous 'comfort' style pub meal, at very reasonable prices. I will definitely stay there again, just for the view!!

Room Tip: Make sure you get one of the front rooms overlooking the Yarra River.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank scootergirl12
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed at the Alpine Retreat following our bike ride and on entering our bedroom found the room had not been cleaned or the bed made, we were then given another room, which was clean, but had dirty cups, apparently they are having trouble with cleaners,! The staff were very helpful and made good the room. The bathroom definitely needs updating although the bath was a delight with lots of hot water, the windows are keep open with either a bath plug or wine bottle. Unfortunately because of late customers room 24 was very noisy till well past midnight, so best to ask for a room the other side. the bed was very comfortable and the location excellent for town and the bike ride. THe evening meal was very good and enjoyable, and plenty of it. The place is sadly faded glory!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warburton
Oscar's on the Yarra
Sanctuary House Resort Motel
Sanctuary House Resort Motel
#1 of 3 in Healesville
Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa

Been to Alpine Retreat Hotel? Share your experiences!