“A must do!”

Polperro Dolphin Swimming
More attraction details
Owner description: For most of us, swimming with dolphins is a rare and magical experience, so who better to help you connect with these magnificent creatures than the people who've been making the introductions in Port Phillip Bay the longest? The Muir family established Polperro Dolphin Swims in 1986. Named after their classic, lovingly maintained boat, which is 25 years young, Polperro has led the bay in environmentally responsible dolphin interactions. Judy Muir in particular has been tirelessly active in establishing and improving legislation controlling human interaction with wild marine animals, including dolphins.That's why passengers can't swim up to the bay's bottlenose dolphins, but rather hang on to long ropes trailing from the Polperro's stern, waiting for these often curious creatures to come to them. The rope, and the crew's careful training and supervision of passengers, mean that even non-swimmers can enjoy this exciting experience. People who are initially very timid and reticent about getting in the water leave enchanted by the experience. The Polperro departs from Sorrento pier twice daily from October to April. Passenger numbers are strictly limited so everyone has ample opportunity to get wet, or watch dolphins at play from the deck. Reef and seal swims are often part of Polperro trips as well. These are also revelatory experiences, even for most locals, as the bay's rich aquatic life is a surprisingly well-kept secret. All gear, including wetsuits and snorkels, are provided, and the Polperro has change areas below deck. On chilly days her saloon cabin is warmly welcoming, as is the complimentary tea, coffee, hot chocolate and delicious scones, freshly baked on board. They're the cherry on top of an inspiring, memorable experience, which saw Polperro enter the Victorian Tourism Awards Hall of Fame in 2001, after winning the environmental tourism category three years running.
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The Polperro team were fantastic and the experience definitely a memorable one that I would recommend to anyone. I can't wait to go again. I took my brother for his birthday and a friend - makes a great gift! Judy was extremely knowledgeable and passionate and was a great educator as well as inspiring a great love and respect for these and other beautiful sea animals and our oceans. Truly a fabulous, unique experience that will not be forgotten.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

A couple friends and I got a discount voucher for Polperro dolphin swim. We were so excited! The first time I called to make the booking the man I spoke to was very nice and helpful.
Two of us lived up towards the city and one in Mt. Eliza. The friend that was driving arrived at my house in Hampton at 5am, then we carried on to Mt. Eliza, and picked up our friend. We didn't even stop ever along the way besides those two places. We arrived in Sorrento around 6:30, put were confused as he told us to park by the pier. Now we aren't from here and are only here temporarily and where I come from I don't even live near an ocean so we were a little confused about what pier it was. No worries I called Polperro along the way. No answer. Again. No answer. Called a third time-no answer!!!! So we parked at the ferry dock and there was a maintenance person clipping the grass so we asked him if he knew polperro. Nope he didn't. So we asked the women in the ferry ticket box. Nope they hadn't heard of it either. So we got back in the car thinking we must be at the wrong pier and drove into Sorrento to ask for directions. We went to a petrol station and finally someone was able to tell us. We got to the pier and the actual place where the boat leaves at around 7:12AM, and we waved to the boat as we saw it leave. We had missed it by what must have been like 5 minutes.

So I called a few days later to explain the situation to someone at Polperro. A woman answered and boy was she rude! I explained everything to her (and we were under the impression the boat left at 7:30AM not 7) and she said they had already waited 20 extra minutes for us (REALLY?? 20 minutes?! Now how did 20 minutes go by in between 7 and 7:12?!) and that it's supposed to leave at 7. Okay whatever I just wanted to rebook and she said we would have to pay more so it would equal full price, okay that was just $20 more.
I also told her that I had been calling all morning because we needed help with directions (it was rainy so I was also making sure it wasn't canceled) and I heard the message saying the trip wasn't canceled today, so obviously I did call if I heard that message. But she said "there is no record of you calling" even though she didn't even ask what number I called from...But then she said something that really pissed me off. She said "sometimes you just have to admit you didn't leave early enough instead of try to lie and say you couldn't find it." EXCUSE ME?!! Where the heck do you get off saying I'm lying?! We did leave early enough, we WERE there early enough but apparently no one in Sorrento knows about Polperro and you guys didn't answer your phone to help us with directions!

All I really wanted was my money back but HA! I wouldn't even try to ask them for that as I'm sure they would not give it to me. So that's $100 down the drain.

Okay Polperro you win, you got free money.

Don't use them. There is a company out of Geelong that does dolphin swims that are supposed to be 1,000 times better-try them!

4  Thank Kalcium
orreplop, Manager at Polperro Dolphin Swimming, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

I am a little mystified about the details in this review. Noting the dates it seems that the passenger who submitted this review visited in Oct 2011 and reviewed in June 2012. I am unable to track any comments or complaints relating to vouchers and late arrivals during October. If I am to address the content in a fair manner I would ask the complainant to contact the office asap on 59888437. I would willing assist. We try to ensure people arrive in a timely manner with all assistance offered. We answer calls from 5.30am or leave informative messages.
Other inconsistencies are apparent. We have never departed at 7am or 7 .10am. Our trips are scheduled for 8am and 12 noon. We meet at 7.45am for the earlier trip. The vessel would have been at the pier at 7.45am and prior to that there would have been staff available on the pier sorting wetsuits etc.
All vouchers are clear about exact location (we are adjacent to the car ferry terminal.) Any agent that sells on behalf of Polperro has full disclosure of information with the issue of any voucher. We are as thorough as we can posssibly be and we rely on passengers to read the pages which include maps and coordinates.
We will always try to ring a late passenger, several times, before departure. If we can trace them we usually wait. It may have been a busy line that sent the complainant's call to our answering service?
We do have an obligation to other passengers who arrive, change in to wetsuits and expect to leave on time or as close to time as is possible.
There is no service station in Sorrento. The car ferry staff know and actively promote Polperro as one of their partners. We care about our reputation and we have the highest regard for our passengers. It may be a case of wrong location?
Sometimes people do not leave adequate time for travel as there was and is roadwork as the Peninsula Link is built. We do let people know this.
I realise there is a long period between this reported event and the complaint 8 months later I accept that details may have become confused? Please ring with details. Your issues will be dealt with politely and with respect.
If I have no further information to act upon I would have to regard this as a vexatious entry simply because of the many inconsistencies.
Sincerely Judith Muir

Reviewed May 15, 2012

My husband and I, along with my husband’s family from Germany did this at the beginning of April and it was an absolutely fantastic experience for every one of us. I am not very comfortable around water and have never snorkelled before - but the crew were so supportive and encouraging, they took the time to help me relax and talk me through it, I felt really safe in their company - they made sure I had a fantastic experience. They also made a point of knowing everyone by name, which made it really personalised - also the scones were delicious!! I can not recommend this enough - everyone should do this. We will definitely be going back.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

An unforgetable get together with wild dolphins. They show up if they want that makes it even more unforgetable. These animals are interested in social contacts with humans an with Polperro Dolphin Swimming we could enjoy these moments and will never forget.

Reviewed April 4, 2012

Our Polperro adventure gave us a chance to encounter a number of unique bottle nosed dolphins and fur seals in their wild marine habitat where they were happy to meet and interact with us. The crew made the best hot chocolate and date scones for afternoon tea and were extremely excited for our own personal encounters with the dolphins and the seals. The best part about going on this experience was being so close to the animals and feeling a part of their amazing underwater environment. Also, being able to sing and to be sung to by the dolphins was an absolute privilege. If you consider planning a half day Polperro experience do take an underwater camera and warm up your vocals on the way there! You will be in for the ride of your life because it truly is an unforgettable event!