“Bad Bathroom, Bugs, and Bad Attitudes”

Americourt Hotel Mountain City
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mountain City
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I found the hotel to be deplorable. On night one when we arrived we found our room to be okay. It was old and needed renovations but we were ok with it. I noticed the toilet was slow, it would fill all the way up to the point of overflowing then go down. The next morning it did overflow. When I asked to have the toilet checked on, they said they would move our room down the hall. I said no problem and that we could do it when we got back from our days events. When we did return later that ight our room was given away, we then had to carry all of our things from the second floor to the first. The morning of our check out, I went to get a shower and their were roaches in the bathroom. Again the toilet would not flush properly and when showering I has to stand in a tub of water because it too was not draining. When checking out on 7/2, I was treated rudely by a balding man in a red shirt. I wish I would have gotten his name. I told this man what had happened, I wanted no more than an "I'm sorry about that". That was far from what I got. After telling the man about our experience he printed out my receipt, stating Im not going to disagree with you but it was probably a waterbug we get on the first floor and not roaches. I said I know the difference it wasn't black it was brown. The man then circled the nightly charges saying " this is for your two TROUBLESOME" nights. Not another word to me,. Not an I'm sorry or anything. I will never stay in this place again. I further will inform all my friends and family that travel to mountain city of my experience with Americourt.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel. Take the extra time and drive to Boone.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Shawn B

Reviewed May 27, 2012

It's a budget hotel. Considering this I thought the price of $69 a night was a decent deal. The staff was nice and even allowed our children to swim after the pool closed as we had arrived late, which they really enjoyed. The rooms were very basic but need an over all good cleaning. In fact the whole hotel neds an overall cleaninq and new carpet. The bathroom floor was just plain nasty. Furniture could use updating. They do offer a breakfast but again very basic. They had one waffle machine to serve the entire hotel. This creates a long line with people increasingly getting impatient. I'm one of those people that are fine without a hotel offering breakfast...but if you do, it needs to accommodate the guest. No where to sit once you finally got your meal. No major issues but probably won't stay here again.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
William O, General Manager at Americourt Hotel Mountain City, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2012

First, I want to thank all of our guests who take the time to post a review. Without your feedback, we would not know how we could better improve your experience while staying with us. We understand that there are several choices when it comes to lodging and we feel privileged and honored everytime you choose to stay with us.
Having said this, it is very unfortunate that your stay was not the best it could have been. Our property is older and does show some wear in some of the common areas i.e. hallways and stairwells, but our rooms have been renovated within the past year and it is our plan to have these other areas renovated this year. It is very unfortunate that we were not made aware of the issue with your bathroom floor while you were still here. We would have certainly taken care of this issue had we known. I sincerely apologize for this.
In regards to our breakfast, we have made every effort to provide our guests with an expanded menu to include far more than your "very basic" fare. We will definately consider your feedback when we look at updating our menu. Although we currently offer biscuits & gravy, sausage, eggs, grits, oatmean, danish, begals, toast, and cereals, our waffles do tend to be a popular choice and as such the two minutes it takes to prepare them can seem like forever when there are already a few people waiting. This has not been an issue in the past but we will certainly consider the addition of a second waffle iron in the future. During busy periods such as this past holiday weekend, we have additional seating in our conference center to ensure everyone has a place to sit and eat. I have spoken with all the staff members and reminded them to point this out in the future.
Although I read that you probably won't stay with us again, we would certainly welcome the opportunity to make your next visit better.

Reviewed February 2, 2012

We stayed here on our trip to the Mountains. The lobby was great with a living room feel. The room we stayed in was very clean and the staff was great! They made it feel like we were in their home. The breakfast was very good with everything you would want to eat. We ate in the lobby with a wonderful view of the mountains.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank teapots_12
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Since my inlaws live in town and we live almost 600 miles away this seemed like a great location snce we did not havto drive out of town to find a room. The price was not bad in my opinion ( I manage multiple hotels for a major chain) my issue was value. The rooms are tiny, the furniture is in very bad repair. The room we stayed in had two double beds and the frame was broken on both. The hotel was built in the early 1990's but feels like it is stuck in the 1970's which would be okay if the place was clean. They do offer an okay breakfast but there is no where to eat. If you are going to serve food make sure that you have a few tables and chairs to sit at and eat. I think this could be a great property but the owner must not care about the guests experience or they would hire someone to manage the property who pays attention to the basics of running a hotel. Nex time I will drive a few miles further to Boone, NC and stay for the same rate or lower at a much nicer hotel where I will get value for my money.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Jonathan J
Reviewed December 18, 2011

We stayed on 12-11-11. The enitre hotel reeked with smoke when we walked in. The room need a really good cleaning. I was going to use the phone but it was filthy as was the bathroom floor. The rate was much to high considering you can stay in Boone just 18 miles away for much less in a cleaner room without the smoke.
We used to stay here when it was the Days Inn and it was always clean and smelled good...Not anymore!!!!!!

Room Tip: Take a can of lysol to get through the lobby to your room so you don't reek of smoke.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 23, 2011

This is a good place to stay if you aren't too picky. I take my own sheets and pillows to all hotels. This is a good idea for this place. We made a reservation through one of the hotel places on line and they couldn't find it. They gave us the price we were quoted and the room requested. They had problems with the keys and upgraded our room. The breakfast was good, but I suggest going to hardees in town they have the best biscuits and gravy! It's an old hotel and it's not one to get too comfy. They have the basics tv fridge bed shower.they have an ironing board and iron at front desk.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I stumbled in late one evening without a reservation and was happy to get a great rate, a welcoming staff and a comfortable enough room. On the minus side, the room I got (101) shared a wall with the waffle maker and I was awoken at a little after 6:00am by the beeping sound of a waffle maker announcing the completion of a waffle. The breakfast of biscuits, gravy, and greasy sausage wasn't my thing so I had to make due with cereal and a waffle. If you're trying to watch your weight you'll need to bring your own source of protein. Finally, while it didn't bother me, some people might be put off by the very Christian decor, which included a Bible open to a specific page on the dresser. Then again, this is the Bible belt so it shouldn't be a surprise..

Room Tip: Don't get 101 if you want to sleep in
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
#3 of 4 in West Jefferson
Sleep Inn Boone
Sleep Inn Boone
#6 of 18 in Boone

Been to Americourt Hotel Mountain City? Share your experiences!