Travellers, couples or business groups will find this property a beautiful retreat in a quiet corner of the Mornington Peninsula. With about 40 or so rooms, Lindenderry has lots of quiet nooks, retreat areas, games rooms. a library (most with open fireplaces) together with an indoor pool. Would be a fantastic spot for a group or business team get together! It presents as a charming country property, basically single-storey and nestling into its garden/vineyard surrounds
We had a Garden Room (so called for its lovely views through floor-to-ceiling windows over the rolling, spacious garden with mature trees, and a pond, replete with two white geese). the room was a massive 60m2, so even with a king-sized bed, there was stacks of space. Décor was a modern black and silver theme, tastefully done. The Garden rooms certainly would be preferred to the Vineyard rooms which, not surprisingly, overlooked the vineyards.
We had an accommodation/meals package which came with a complimentary welcoming bottle of Moet & Chandon bubbly, most welcome on a very hot day
Their vineyards are beautifully maintained (unlike some of the scruffy-looking ones about) and their separate cellar door building offers wine tastings and some basic fare such as pizzas. Dan behind the counter there ( studying to be a wine-maker, himself) was a friendly soul, who after seven years in the job, offers good advice on the estate's (excellent but not inexpensive) wines.
BUT, in addition to the positive reviews of the facilities, we were attracted to Lindenderry because of the very complimentary reviews accorded to its decorated chef. It was a special birthday treat for my wife, and we looked forward to the prospect of being able to walk, suitably warmed by the Moet, just a few metres to the much-vaunted restaurant, have a memorable meal and stroll back to out room.
Well, the meal WAS memorable, but for the wrong reasons !
After satisfactory entrees we looked forward to the main dishes - my wife to a lamb dish and me to a waygu fillet steak. The lamb came as two huge-boned chops with a meat : fat ratio of about 20:80 - greasy looking and quite off-putting. My steak (ordered to be medium, came as a chewy, rare, odd-shaped blob of a cut and quite inedible. We were offered replacements, but rejected that offer given the chef's performance at the first attempt, but were offered our drinks at no charge - a reasonable attempt at damage control.
I guess we were unlucky to get the B grade chef on the Sunday evening we were there... but some quality control of the sous chef personnel is certainly called for.
Also a little quality control of a few elements of the surroundings is also called for - dead plants, paint needing retouching, some tidying up of verandas (the outdoor furniture was covered in dust) and so on. There is new management in place we heard, so some of the above might be looked at soon
Given all of that, we would still recommend Lindenderry as a lovely retreat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the heart of Victoria's most spectacular region, the Mornington Peninsula, you will find Lindenderry. The region's premier boutique hotel, Lindenderry is set on 30 acres of natural beauty. English inspired gardens surround the hotel, extending to a vineyard and a private lake, all framed by an iconic Australian landscape. As you arrive at the property, meandering through the peaceful grounds, you feel a sense of escape that stays with you till you are back in your car and travelling home. After a recent soft refurbishment to all guest rooms, restaurant and lounge areas, this country estate offers accommodation that is perfect for couples or groups looking for an elegant retreat whilst indulging on the Mornington Peninsula. There are 40 modern rooms available at Lindenderry, each with its own unique design that stylishly captures the regional landscape. Relax in the many inviting guest lounges that feature open fireplaces and, with floor to ceiling windows, flood with soft natural light, making the perfect nook to escape with a good book, a glass of wine, or quiet conversation. Adding to the indulgence of the property is our onsite restaurant, Linden Tree, with a newly appointed head chef who hails from some of the world's best restaurants, the dining experience at Lindenderry has become a must-do experience when visiting the Mornington Peninsula. Also featuring a cellar-door offering a more informal dining experience, why not stop by for a tipple? Following a recent recognition from Australia's leading wine authority, James Halliday, as a Five Star Winery and with nearly all of our wines receiving a remarkable score of 95 or above, Lindenderry is proving itself to be one of the leading wineries of the region also. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Lindenderry at Red Hill reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lindenderry At Red Hill Hotel Red Hill
- Lindenderry At Red Hill Victoria