“Tranquil and relaxed stay”
Review of Somerset View

Somerset View
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Red Hill
Somerset View
Ranked #5 of 6 Red Hill B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stayed at The Barn at Somerset View over a weekend in order to attend a wedding at a nearby winery. From the time that we walked in, we immediately felt relaxed. The location is peaceful and not crowded with other people at close proximity. The property is well maintained and was comfortable for our family of four. As an unexpected bonus, my kids enjoyed feeding the horse and chickens located on the property. Compared to where others attending the wedding were staying, this accommodation was a lot nicer. The nespresso machine was a nice touch. We would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank LolGav
LizChip, Owner at Somerset View, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

thank you for your response. It was a real pleasure to have your family stay with us and enjoy the peaceful surrounds. Thank you again.
Liz
Somersetview

Reviewed March 31, 2012

Be prepared for a lengthy booking process involving numerous people. I found both the system and the managing agent very tedious. We also paid $550 a night with $1000 cash deposit. Be aware that the charge for the spa was $100 (even though the website had it advertised it for $50).
Owner is literally right next-door and can be on your doorstep in seconds – good or bad depending on your needs. I wasn’t overly impressed by her demeanor.
The actual property was quite pleasant, however some of the décor was quite contrived and out dated. I would agree that the photos are much better than the actual experience. The property was neat but not clean; I expect higher standards when I’m paying $650 a night.
The selling point of this property is the ‘experience’. It’s a shame that the experience is mediocre at best.
In my opinion there are much more beautiful places to stay in Red Hill that are better value.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank 147travel_bug
LizChip, Owner at Somerset View, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

WRONG CHOICE
Thank you for your response. I have taken your comments on board. I do however have to comment on our experience as accomodation owners with your booking. Our property has multiple rental options and so we often have multiple guests staying. Our main endeavor is to have our guests come here to get away from it all in a relaxing, peaceful and tranquil environment. We do not allow large gatherings and execessive noise as this would compromise the stay of others. Only booked guests are allowed on the property unless otherwise organized with the owners. Yes we do live on the property and in 5 years it has never come up as an issue. Our visitors books are highly complimentary and often mention the peaceful and relaxing nature of the property. Living on the property means we can quickly meet the needs of our guests. You mentioned the booking process as being tedious. As this was booked through an agent this had nothing to do with us. We have our own website and a booking can be confirmed with one phone call. I believe your issues were more with the agent than us as we had minimal involvement with you. The only dealings I had with you is informing you of checkout time which was obviously not made clear by the agent. As I had another booking coming in it was vital to begin cleaning before lunch. Had we not had a booking it was not a problem to extend your check out time. Our main cause for concern was your return from the wedding after 11pm . The excessive noise from the spa and your party was certainly compromising the comfort of the other guests. We held off coming to see you even though the noise went past 3am. I was also disappointed to find my house left in a bit of a state, with someone obviously unwell in the bathroom and champagne corks down the corridors, spa cover left off and left littered with bottles and glasses. I believe our property was the wrong choice for your type of gathering and this should have been established by the booking agent. As stated before, our property is all about peace, relaxation and getting away from it all.

Reviewed December 5, 2011

We were a family party of six and used The Barn and the House. The hostess was most helpful and accommodated our particular needs most obligingly. The location is beautiful and very peaceful and as the beds were excellent, we all slept very well.
All the bathrooms are very new and absolutely spotless.
The Barn is charming, light and airy, with plenty of living space and enjoys wonderful views over farmland to the Bay.
The house is superb! It is very large, meticulouly renovated, beautifully appointed, and has glorious views.

Room Tip: remember that The Barn is open plan and that there are quite a lot of stairs!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 20, 2011

The property was stunning. The accommodation was clean, comfortable and homely. The breakfast hamper was fantastic... More than we required! Great place to stay for a relaxing break.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We stayed at somerset view and found our hosts very welcoming and friendly - the house is situated in a beautiful location and decorated very tastefully. However, it was not clean. A lot of dust underneath all beds, toilet not clean, laundry area surfaces not clean. Ensuite door does not close, toilet seat broken - not acceptable in a house of this standard.

Breakfast was very good with one exception - Aldi coffee beans which are not good - personal taste maybe but with an average price of $350 a night, good quality coffee should be provided.

We would return to Somerset View and would recommend but cleanliness and maintenance are things that should be checked thoroughly on each new arrival.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
LizChip, Owner at Somerset View, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2011

Hi, thankyou for your comments on tripadvisor. kAs the property is only a few months old there will be some fine tuning issues. The toilet has just been installed and it was just a matter of tightening it. The issues with cleaning have been addressed with the cleaning lady. We have now devised an extensive checklist which will be used everytime a clean is done. The doors have also been adressed i do apologize for the Aldi coffee. Both my husband and I use it and didnt think it would be that bad to have in the accomodation. We are more than happy to provide alternative coffee if we had known you were not happy. We do try and accomodate all individual requests but you do need to be able to communicate these to us, we do only live around the corner and are available 24 hours a day by mobile. If people indicate they have specific dietry needs we are only happy to accomodate. We also provide extras, at no extra cost for special occasions. Once again you need to let us know of these. I believe communication is a very important part of the hospitality industry and as a result have devised a feedback sheet guests can fill out so that our property keeps improving. We appreciate hearing about any issues during your stay as they can be quickly rectified rather than hearing about them 2 months later on trip advisor. We would like to offer you a 10% discount on your next visit.
Once again thankyou for your feed back.
Liz
Somersetview.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

I stayed at Somerset View with a few friends from Melbourne and it was a blast from the past only with mod cons. I have relatives in Europe who live on farms and I love it when I go there and I loved it here as well.
There were no flies at all, as one reviewer wrote but then it is winter and when we went out for dinner we used some common sense in switching off the lights and closing all doors and windows.We parked our cars outside as garaging is not included and therefore we did not have to suffer the indignity of a few cartons left by builders on the garage floor.
We saw the chooks behind the barn and we saw the eggs being collected so I would say there was a fair chance we ate free range eggs, they certainly tasted a lot better than supermarket eggs.We did not request the coffee machine as none of us could be bothered with doing that, so the plunger was good enough.
The beds were perfectly clean and comfortable, crockery was spotless and the fireplace was sensational as we sat around drinking wine and admiring the views of Mornington and the bay. The owner made it clear from the outset that if there was anything we needed, to immediately let her know. She seemed extremely proud of her property and nothing was too much trouble. She did however politely refuse to replenish our depleting wine stocks, so we were forced to go and buy our own. C'est la vie.
I would not hesitate to recommend this property to my friends and I will certainly stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: Understand the difference between total open plan and enclosed bedrooms.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I stayed at Somerset View recently and had a completely different experience. We found the place to be immaculately fitted and very clean. The views are amazing and although it was cold enjoyed sharing a bottle of local wine while sitting on the balcony taking it all in.. As the night air chilled we took advantage of the cozy fireplace.

The insects weren't a problem either; although it was winter. My view is that in summer in Victoria if you leave doors open you can expect a few insects to come inside. It's part of the country experience.

As for the coffee machine we asked the owners where it was and they brought it down to us immediately. The breakfast food was great and prepared us well for our winery tour that afternoon.
I have recommended the property to friends with young children as there was so much for them to do; books, games etc.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in Moorooduc
Polperro Villas
Polperro Villas
#1 of 6 in Red Hill

Been to Somerset View? Share your experiences!