“ripped off”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Queenscliff
victoria
“ripped off”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2009

We stayed one night planned to stay longer in Queenscliff but it wont be here.
certainly not worth the money, Staff are rude and not helpful at all especially Rebecca she should not work in the hospitality industry more suited to a factory where she doesnt have to converse with anyone. Queens cliff is beautiful and its a shame this Hotel lets down the whole town.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2009

The web site for this property says that it is a "stunning multi award winning boutique hotel" - I would like to know how many years ago this hotel won an award! My husband and I attended a wedding on the weekend and were really looking forward to a couple of days away from Melbourne and decided to make it special by booking a room with a spa. This hotel does not have a car park just for hotel guests so the experience started with an around the block trek in the rain with our luggage - not hugely important, but not ideal. Our room was not ready when we arrived. The best thing I can say about the room was that it was spacious. There is a big difference in old and classy/tasteful and old and run down. The rooms are very dated and some of the cleanliness is questionable - I could see cobwebs hanging from the cornices and there was hair in the shower/spa. The bathroom was in a terrible state of repair. The tiling is cracked and the fittings are dated and run down - the spa bath has bad cracking where people stand to shower and there was no shower curtain/glass screen which meant that water ended up being everywhere on a slippery slate floor which proved to be quite hazardous. The towels were tiny, paper thin and reeked of kitchen fat/oil - this hotel clearly launders it's bathroom and commerical kitchen laundry together - putting the towel to my face to wipe it was actually disgusting. The Foxtel in the room was not working. Breakfast the next morning really took the cake though! Everything was cold - when I brought this to the waiter's attention he said it is hard for them to keep all the burners hot enough! There was a bunch of cold and congealed poached eggs - I asked the waiter if I could have some fresh fried eggs as the poached ones were cold - he said yes and disappeared - 15 mins later after I sought him out and asked what was happening with the eggs, he brought me two of the poached eggs which had clearly been reheated. We have paid a less money in Melbourne for an overnight stay in a really great hotel. I have stayed in country motels that could teach the Vue Grand a thing or two. A thoroughly disappointing experience and a total waste of $255.00.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SusieqMelbourne

Travelers are raving about these Queenscliff hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2009

Stayed here for just one night with my partner for a romantic getaway. The hotel is beautiful (heritage listed) with lots of different indoor and outdoor spaces to enjoy. Make sure you check out the rooftop terrace for a drink - great views, although you can only access it by stairs. Our room was nice - bit poky, but still nice and clean. Buffet breakfast in the stunning restaurant (great venue for a wedding) was a very good standard. No probs here, would recommend to couples, although the elderly may have problems with the stairs.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2009

I have mixed feelings about this hotel, to compare this hotel with others of the same rating; the Vue Grand would lose 7 times out of 10. For a start it barely scrapes in as a 4 star hotel but being in a historical resort town. It is a historical building in a very tired shape, cracks in the ceiling need repairing and an overall paint job wouldn’t go astray. Having said that my first impression of the entrance and foyer area was clean and well furnished with period furniture.

We booked the traditional room after being told by the staff that it was a bigger room than the balcony rooms (as we had a little one with us). All I can say is if our room was the more spacious one I feel sorry for the guests in the balcony rooms. The room was small and I never knew an ensuite meant a couch shoved in the corner of a room, the old style furniture was OK although the modern furnishings (i.e. the bar fridge and TV) did look out of place. The bed was big and adequate; it was firm but not hard. The bathroom was something out of a DIY nightmare – it just looked like some one had just gone to the local hardware shop and bought the cheapest fixtures to do up the bathroom. I cannot judge on the new turret, tower or spa suites which on their website looks amazing. This may be the choice next time we think of going up there.

Food at the Café Lure was average – the usual western menu with the standard chips or salad as extras with the meals, nevertheless it was always busy in the afternoon. We did not try the food in the Grand Dining Room; the menu did look appealing though. We did have breakfast in the Dining room which was also adequate but lacking in variety. The standard buffet of cereal, bacon and eggs and not much else.

The hotel seemed to attract a lot of wedding events; while we were there the staffs was constantly showing people through the hotel who were interested in booking a wedding in one of their function rooms.

Overall I would say that it is a well appointed hotel right in the middle of the township which made it close to everything but it was the finer touches to the hotel that disappointed. I am trying hard to praise this hotel as I enjoyed the time spent there but in comparison to other hotels I’ve stayed at for the same price it really comes up short.

Likes

Great old time atmosphere.
Friendly and helpful staff.
Family friendly.

Dislikes

Our room was situated above the outdoor smoking/bar area which made it very noisy.
General tired look to the hotel.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
central victoria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2008

We stayed at the Vue Grande apartments (just down the road, but owned by the Vue). Apartment itself was lovely, recently refurbished very modern, 2 bedroom, king size bed in each, but for the price was lacking in basics.
No hairdryer (even crummy hotels have hairdryers these days), one small mirror in bathroom the only mirror in place. (Hard when everyone trying to get ready.)
Not even a bottle of water in the fridge. (it did have tea/coffee)

Sounds a bit petish, but for the price you pay, I expect to get value for money, and this definately wasn't. I have stayed in a lot cheaper places and received more.

Breakfast was included,had to walk to dining room of the Vue, that was okay.

Beds comfy.

• Liked — central position
  • Disliked — lacking in comforts/luxury
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2008

We stayed at the Vue Grand for my birthday. We chose the hotel as we had previously visited Queenscliff and went in the bar for a drink. The hotel frontage and the interior is very nice, and we decided to come back and stay some time.

For the price you pay i expected some level of luxury in the room. The actual room seemed very dated and tired. It was small, the bathroom was very small and the taps were leaking and the shower door was cracked. The TV was cheap and very small. The room fridge was soooo noisy, kept me awake.

My wife's phone went off during the night, and we turned on the light. Wish we hadn't as there were massive moths on the ceiling. You could hear them flying around the room.

When i let the night duty manager know this she said that this was down to the time of year. Her attitude was a disgrace.

I was so disappointed in the hotel room and the level of service. Would not recommend the hotel for a stay, and it has kind of put me off this type of hotel.

• Liked — The bar and some interior old features
  • Disliked — The room. Old, grubby and run down
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2007

Great hotel in a terrific location. The public areas were fantastic and the service was very helpful. We had a superior room which was comfortable and opened onto a great verandah. A really good place to stay.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queenscliff
Point Lonsdale Guesthouse Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sorrento
Seaview House
Seaview House
#2 of 9 in Queenscliff

Been to Vue Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!