“Meal in the clubhouse highly reccomended”

Mercure Portsea Golf Club and Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Portsea B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

We had a beautiful relaxed meal in the clubhouse. Not fine dining but beautifully presented fresh & well planned menu. Much more than I had expected. The view spectacular & atmosphere serene. Service can't be faulted & prices very reasonable. Only downside is golf club members & hotel guests only.

Stayed: January 2014
Duncan M, General Manager at Mercure Portsea Golf Club and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fabulous review on Mercure Portsea. We are delighted you enjoyed your meal in the Club House and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We were a little disappointed with the Mercure at Portsea. The rooms are lovely - new and spacious. We had a nice view over the golf course towards the ocean. The front desk staff were excellent and waiting staff were very pleasant too.

However, for the price we paid (over $300 per night), we were disappointed with some of the service. On the first morning, we went to breakfast quite late (around 9.30) and found the food quite tired and depleted - we suspect it had been sitting there without replenishment since very early. On the second morning we ate breakfast quite early (7am) and the food was much better.

When our room was serviced they forgot to do the bathroom. We had to search out the cleaning team and ask them to do it - just as well we around during the day while they were still doing other rooms.

I also had an issue with cold food being served in the bistro. However, I sent it back and it was fine when it came back.

It is an interesting combination of hotel (24 rooms) and golf club. I hope they can get the service right because it is a beautiful spot.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SuzyBSydney
Duncan M, General Manager at Mercure Portsea Golf Club and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Mercure Portsea, and my apologies that our Breakfast and bistro was not up to standard. I am pleased to advise that we have a new menu and new head chef and have been receiving amazing feedback.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Reviewed December 5, 2013

The Location has views over the bay. The style of the premises is predominantly designed for the golfing type not for a weekend getaway. I definitely would not call it a resort.
It is New and has a modern fit out. There is Limited dining and menu options. The restaurant is in fact a conference type room with bifold doors, which is set up with dining tables for dinner and buffet for breakfasts. This was the main reason we did not dine in for dinner. We did have a quick lunch on arrival however the calamari was not to fresh seafood standard especially for a place by the seaside.

Being a Sunday the greens were full of golfers. However there was low occupancy.

Portsea itself is a beautiful part of the peninsula. We also found local restaurants to be limited on a Sunday with not much home delivery options to Portsea from Sorrento for example.
The Portsea Hotel is your best bet for a weekend feed and beverage and is only down the road from the Mercure in a perfect water front location overlooking the bay.

You have two comparable choices in there area - the Peppers Moonah Links or Mercure Portsea.

I chose the Mercure given the poor trip advisor ratings and value for money (Mercure being newer and slightly cheaper).

We did have one problem, being construction work starting early on Monday morning. There was banging and a concrete core jack hammer drilling underneath the hotel. I did call reception and was advised that they will cease works until after 10pm check out time.
I am cognizant that planned and emergency works are inevitable and necessary. On this occasion I was informed it was a leak.
My advice to the hotel management is to make a courtesy call around or card drop to all guests so they can make alternative plans and not plan to sleep or be around to relax when disruptive works are taking place.
I do have to acknowledge that the hotel did refund our meal charges as a courtesy gesture for the inconvenience.

Despite what I have said above I have rated the Sleep Quality highly as the beds were very comfy and the surrounds were very quiet and private being situated on a golf course.

Although this hotel is complete and in good condition, I do advise that you always check with the hotel prior to making your booking so there are no surprises. This will ensure a more enjoyable stay.

In most circumstances 10% refund or free full cancellation is a fair compensation.
The more responsible hoteliers will advise you upon booking. However your best bet is to check trip advisor for people making comments about construction works and you will be able to see how recent the works are and if it will impact your stay.

If I were to visit the Mornington Peninsula Area again I would probably look at hiring a private holiday house if I am staying for upto 4 days or more. I would only consider the Peppers if the ratings and reviews were to improve.

We also visited the hot springs approx. 20 min drive from Mercure or across the road from the Peppers. I would probably rate the hot springs 5-6/10 due to unfriendly staff and lack of instructions. I would recommend the mud bath.

Room Tip: Standard was fine, we were on bottom level and still had views over the course and bay.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review, I am pleased to advise that all construction is now complete and our apologies for the disturbance during you stay.

We have also increased our menu and received positive feedback. If you would like to stay again please contact me directly on my mobile 0400 449 232 as I would personally like to look after you.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

staff were awsome from the reception to the restaurant.
fantastic views, room was very comfortable
loved the 24hr movie deal. we love Portsea golf club so everything else was a bonus. food was delicious and plenty of it. the only very small thing was the air conditioner - great having it but could not turn the fan down low enough (but maybe we should have asked what we may have been doing wrong)

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your awesome review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is a golf club hotel, so presumably most guests are here to golf. The golf course looks lovely. I was here for something else, so it wasn't my cup of tea.

I stayed for 2 nights. The room was clean and neat. It's a pretty new resort/hotel.

Things that I was unhappy with we're ...
1. My room was tucked in around the corner, away from the view. I really don't think that there were many people staying in the hotel and I think it was a matter of giving me the worst room!
2. I couldn't open the sliding door out to the outdoor area, no matter what I tried.
3. There was a dual blind system on the glass doors. This was fiddly and irritating. But I learnt why in the morning when there were a bunch of golfers playing 10 metres from me.
4. There was a light on the wall outside that I couldn't turn off. Not only did it keep me awake from the one side, but it flecked off the opposite wall so I got the effect from 2 directions. When I called to have it turned off, I was told that it was an emergency services /fire light. Great! If I don't get to sleep, I'll need emergency services.
5. The air cond was massive overkill for the room, and blew a gale.

All up pretty bad design and planning. Not great for a $250/night room on a bargain website!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and feedback, our maintenance department have reviewed and are rectifying the issues per your review.

We have also changed the emergency lighting systems to ensure our guests have a great night sleep.

If you are returning to Portsea please contact me directly and I will ensure you are looked after 0400 443 232.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsea
RACV Cape Schanck Resort
Portsea Village Resort
Portsea Village Resort
#1 of 1 in Portsea
Peppers Moonah Links Resort

Been to Mercure Portsea Golf Club and Resort? Share your experiences!