“"Beautiful location"”

Portsea Hotel Bistro
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Portsea
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Open air and undercover dining overlooking Poert Philip Bay in the historic Portsea Hotel
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This was our first visit. We were with friends that had been there before & spoke highly of this place. We booked one day ahead & requested terrace with a view. It wasn't guaranteed but we got it. It has a beautiful relaxing view of the beach. Very busy & loud bistro. The food was nice. The scotch fillet steak sandwich was yummy & my husbands parma was good too. All the meals were nice. Went for a walk on the pier after lunch, hotel overlooks the pier. Beautiful location.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We went here for lunch on a Saturday. There were hundreds of people! The location was fantastic. We ordered 2 salads and a pulled pork burger. I have to say my quinoa salad was small, & for almost $20 I thought it was a bit of a rip off. It was quite tasty though. If you want to add chicken or smoked salmon it's another $6. My friend added salmon to her salad & it was a little larger. My friend enjoyed his pulled pork burger. 3 drinks was $30 so we didn't stay for another round. All in all it was overpriced & overcrowded but a lovely location. There's only a scenic view if you can get a table - we were stuck n a corner with a view of people only. There's a great burger joint a few doors down if you don't want to face the crowds!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I need to preface this review by saying that I have been going to the Portsea Hotel on and off for nearly 20 years and have always thought the food was excellent pub fare.
Unfortunately, when my fiance and I visited yesterday, we were greeted by a seriously lack lustre affair. The pub itself is looking good and well kept and the staff were all efficient and courteous, however, there seems to have been a MAJOR disconnect when it comes to the kitchen.
My fiance ordered the butternut pumpkin risotto and I ordered the angus beef burger. I'll be honest, at $25.00, I was expecting something pretty impressive re: the burger. Sadly, it was not to be. The pumpkin risotto was appauling. Presented badly, and if at all possible, tasted worse. I dont think the chefs have been monitoring or testing what goes out to diners at all. Honestly, I cant express to you how bad this risotto was. It had the consistency of baby food. Next, the burger. The pattie was about an inch and a half to two inches thick! The first thing I said to my partner when it arrived was "how the hell am I supposed to eat that?". Yes, it was presented nicely but whats the point of having food look good if you cant actually get it into your mouth?!?!?!?! Again unfortunately, when I began eating it, the "enormo-pattie" was dry and bland and the burger bun stale and crumbley.
I'm so disappointed by this experience that I'd say it will be a very long time before I brave another visit. Oh, did I mention I ordered a glass of champagne and it was flat? Just gets better and better.....
Save your money and go somewhere else. You'll thank me for it.

1  Thank Keri J
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This place is in the perfect location, right on the beach. The menu is a good mix of pub favourite sand some more upscale. They also have a good wine and beer selection. We had fish and chips which was quite good and a chicken breast with Parmesan crust. The meals came quickly and cooked fresh. A great lunch (and probably dinner) venue!

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We had a meal here, and it was ok, but what made the day was the amazing view behind the hotel. We had a fun time walking around and took some cool family photos on an old tree. I usually have sticker shock when I visit Australia, but this place was more pricy than usual – especially for what we got – a burger, a pasta dish, a salad, some drinks.

*also posted this reveiw on the 'hotel' by mistake - but not sure how to delete it.