“Nice B&B.”
Review of Pelican Sands

Pelican Sands
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Having read all the glowing reviews about this B&B my husband and I decided to buy one of the midweek deals. We stayed for 2 nights during Melbourne Cup week.
The place was just as described by many earlier reviewers. We stayed in the French themed room upstairs. Nice room, no spa but had little balcony. I would suggest maybe take one of the rooms downstairs. We were given a choice of 2 rooms downstairs and this room upstairs. We took the room upstairs thinking it was away from the rest of the house, but it was a tad bit cluttered and the ensuite was quite pokey. Mick ( we never met Susan) was a most gracious and pleasant host. We met him as we checked in and did not see him thereafter.

The deal included continental breakfast. This I have to say was a bit disappointing. There were 3 half used loaves of white, wholemeal and multigrain bread in the fridge along with some half used juice cartons. There were also used yoghurt multipacks in the fridge along with 3 types of cereals in jars in the kitchen. No croissants like in the promo pictures. I personally think that a basket of fresh bread, rolls or even muffins or croissants would just have added that fresh feel to the very unappetizing breakfast, given that there are such nice local bakeries.

Do keep in mind that if all the rooms or even 3 rooms are occupied parking can get a bit fidly. There is a very narrow access area for the car parking.
BTW Mick our deal also included a bottle of wine which we never got.....

Overall had a pleasant stay. At $199 for 2 nights it was worth it.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank maniset
SususPortarlington, Owner at Pelican Sands, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. I recall that you were our "early birds" up and away early each morning making the most of your stay. I am sorry that I did not get to meet you. I was in the kitchen at the B&B each morning to cook breakfast but you had already left to explore our beautiful Bellarine Pensinsula.

I look forward to meeting you next time you come to stay.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

My title may have you wondering, so to put you out of your misery, so to speak, I will explain. Pelican Sands is or at least appears to be, an old 2-storey house situated on a the outer most extremities of Portarlington. It certainly doesn't stand out, but it is what is on the inside that makes one sit up and take notice.

Aviva and I partook in a mid-week 2 nighter thanks to Groupon for a ridiculously low $199 inclusive. This said, I firmly believe that many B&B's are over-priced, so as much as I appreciate the lowish cost, to a large extent I agree with it.

The downstairs area is, aside from a small open office at the rear, all accommodation - namely four individually themed room, with us taking the Romance room. The concept works and the owners Susan and Mick (probably more Susan me thinks given that Mick is an old timer footy player - we're talking real football by the way - Aussie rules - and while I am not sure of Mick's age I believe he is just on the wrong side of 60 yet is as fit a Mallee bull and continues to play footy) have equipped each room appropriately. The en-suite was huge and well equipped. Move back to the lovely bed stacked with a range of pillows, and you can, should you so desire, partake in watching a DVD with the crew having accumulated a host of films for you to watch at no charge.

Upstairs consists of a large kitchen, dining and lounge area with big screen TV, couch et all. It opens up to a large balcony and all is very tastefully furnished and finished. Continental breakfast is included and it is up to those attending to go about the business of getting their own breakfast, which is fine as long as everyone does the right thing.

Overall I give Pelican Sands a good score, with the only let down as far as I can see, a sign in the kitchen advising that visitors can not use the oven or have hot meals due to Insurance Limitations. Now this takes the cake. It's not something I have heard of before.

Portarlington, although a nice quiet town, doesn't have a whole lot to offer, so don't expect party time any time soon when visiting. However if you do head down that way, I would recommend you give Pelican Sands a go.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at the Pelican Sands for a weekend recently and loved the place. Susan and Mick were perfect hosts and full of ideas for activities and dining in the area. The 5 guest rooms all have a theme and are tastefully decorated. We will be back for another relaxing weekend in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Thought twice about letting this secret out of the bag :) but in all fairness to Mick and Sue they deserve the best possible praise for this beautiful boutique B&B. Found it online for the June long weekend and Celtic Festival in Portarlington, and Wow! it's gorgeous. Five beautiful rooms, themed and lovingly furnished, most with spas. We had the "moulin rouge" French 'Salon' upstairs, so cute, with its own balcony! Large open plan common lounge area with huge kitchen. Breakfast is a feast cooked up and served by Mick and Sue, nothing too much trouble. Before leaving we made sure of our booking for next year, we'll be back!! if not before xx

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2013

we have just spent new years eve at this beautiful bed and breakfast in portarlington could not have asked for anything better the room was beautifully decorated and very clean and comfortable, the cooked breakfast was something to behold plenty of well cooked choices and plenty of food. The hosts Mick and Sue were very attentive and could not do enough for us without being intrusive, they were wonderful hosts I would highly recommend Pelican Sands to friends and family without hesitation, thank you Mick and Sue for a wonderful break, we will be back

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
SususPortarlington, Owner at Pelican Sands, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

We are happy that your stay with us was an enjoyable experience and thank you for taking the time to write such a great review - Mick and Susan

Reviewed December 28, 2012

An absolute gem!!! Found the Pelican Sands B & B by chance on a hotel booking website and after looking at the other reviews on TA, decided to book a two night getaway for hubby and myself. Was completely in awe of the beauty and charm of the house and absolutely loved the differerent themed decor in each of the guest rooms. Susan and Mick were utterly charming and we enjoyed hearing the story of how the B & B came about. Hubby and I could not fault anything - thoroughly enjoyed our two night stay and highly recommend the Pelican Sands B & B to anyone who wants to get away from everyday living and take a step into another corner of the world

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My partner & I could not have been happier coming across The Pelican Sanda B&B. What a great weekend away spent in such a beautiful place, equally matched by the hospitality shown by hosts, Mick & Susan. The room we stayed in was incredible. Upstairs you find a beautiful open plan living area and large kitchen where a fantastic breakfast is served up daily. Definately will be coming back soon
~ James & Kathleen

• Stayed: July 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portarlington
The Oxley Estate Bed & Breakfast
Drysdale House Bed and Breakfast
Portarlington Beach Motel
Portarlington Beach Motel
#2 of 8 in Portarlington

Been to Pelican Sands? Share your experiences!