“A sleek getaway cottage”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Credo Cottages

Credo Cottages
Los Angeles, California
“A sleek getaway cottage”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2010

We recently spent 2 nights in Credo Cottage #2 (my sense is that there is some variation between cottages). We arrived while the Credo Restaurant was open, so the restaurant manager was quick to bring us up to the cottage and show us around. Cottage #2 was set back from the road, admittedly without a view, but with enough foliage in front of the bedroom window to be private and a private garden area behind the cottage. The decor is almost Scandinavian -- sleek wood floors, white walls, clean lines, leather sofas. It was in great condition (well, except for a bathroom sink that drained ever so slowly) and beautifully furnished, including brand new kitchen and appliances, flat screen TV and DVD player. Lots of space, very comfortable and it was ven better in person than the internet photos. #2 is set back enough from the road so it was quiet even with windows open and just a 2 minute walk to the village.

Along with the cottage, we received vouchers for breakfast at The Ranges cafe for both mornings. Unfortunately, the prices at The Ranges are such that you can't eat a lot for the voucher( A$30 for 2 people). If you both have a hot breakfast entree, juice and coffee, you would definitely be out of pocket. A small annoyance to have to pay anything extra at all.

We also received a coupon for Sunday night dinner at Credo Restaurant -- one free main course with purchase of one. We enjoyed that dinner very much....great pasta dishes, friendly service, nice selection of wines. The decor is casual and nice (but also note, a little noisy because of wood floors and a little stuffy....apparently no a/c).

Our only recommendation is that next time we would clarify when the apartment is serviced (my guess is that it would not be cleaned daily ...and it wasn't, but we were given sufficient towels for 2 nights) and what to do with the key when you leave (assuming the adjacent restaurant is not open when you depart). Also, we were told that the cottages had wireless internet access, but it doesn't actually reach as far as cottage #2. No big deal, we walked halfway down the path, sat down, and got reception and during restaurant hours, you can sit at their outdoor tables.

We would definitely stay again! The Dandenongs are a lovely area and we enjoyed visiting Mt. Dandenong, the Rhododendron garden, and just biking around.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Melbourne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2010

Each year, my husband and myself go on a weekend away to celebrate our wedding anniversary. This year we had an addition to the family, a six month old, and this was our first weekend away as a family.

We originally wanted to stay at Lochiel accommodation as we had heard positive reviews, but were informed that there was no vacancy. We received an email from "Johnathon" indicating that some new accommodation had just become available - Credo Cottage Nos 4. The management group seem to have financial stakes in half the town - Lochiel Cottages, Credo Cottages, Credo Restaurant, Ranges Cafe and the lolly shop.

We were lead to believe that the accommodation was new, but a employee inform us that the manager had been living in cottage four. The cottage was suppose to include a queen size bed and dishwasher. Instead, cottage number four was "tired" and seemed to be currently being renovated - i.e the bathroom wasn't even fully painted and the retaining wall was falling down. The cottage was dirty - i.e. liquid stains over the cupboard doors and dusty floors. The dusty floors were particularly concerning with a young, crawling child.

In addition, we were led to believe that the cottage was a totally separate dwelling, but
instead the room below was utilised for storage and office facilities, with people coming
and going during the entire weekend. Definately didn't provided the privacy which we had wished for.

Finally, my husband and myself were severely bitten by insects during our stay. Since,
the weekend, my husband has had to seek medical attendion due to severity of the insect bites.

I have endeavoured to contact the manager of Credo, via email, to express my disappointment. Unlike the booking process, when my emails were answered within an hour, I am still waiting on a response.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank LeeWilliams77

Travelers are raving about these Olinda hotels

Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2009

We have just returned from a 3 day visit to one of the two Credo Cottages. I am extremely disappointed. I have previously stayed at "Lochiel Tree Tops" (also in Olinda) which have the same owners as "Credo". I hoped to recreate the experience we had last year at the beautiful "Lochiel Tree Tops" which replenished our souls.

When I enquired about staying at Tree Top cottages I was informed that they were all booked. I was given a link and a carefully worded recommendation (careful in that it did not say they were similar to Tree Tops) for Credo Cottages and I subsequently booked our stay.

Credo Cottages are lovely inside (the fire place and double spa were well used!) but have none of the environmental appeal of "Lochiel". There is absolutely no view from the cottage, in fact the walk up the path to the cottages is boarded by a property which could be mistaken for a dump for old car bodies and boxes and bags of rubbish. The property has been screened off with a fence but is still visable.

The staff we met at both the Credo and Ranges Restaurants were very helpful and the food was superb!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Fountain Hills, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2008

My wife, 14 yr old son and I had a month long holiday in Australia in Dec 2007/Jan 2008 in places that I knew quite well from my business trips or with friends. Our last stop was in Victoria and we hadn't booked until a week before we arrived because we hadn't decided which wine country we would visit in Victoria. I did want to connect up a friend outside of Melbourne that I met over the Internet through a car enthusiast site. I asked him if there was any place he could recommend in the Yarra Valley where he lived and he immediately offered Credo Cottages, but said he would check with a local travel agent since he hadn't personally stayed there. The next morning we received a glowing review from the agent, which was offered even though we were booking direct and not through her.

We booked on line and received an email from the owner, Alan within an hour confirming our booking. We drove up the beautiful mountain roads from Melbourne and arrived in Olinda, Alan met us at our cottage, gave us a tour of the beautiful place and provided us with passes for complimentary full breakfasts each day at the excellent Ranges Restaurant and a nice unlimited discount pass for Ranges lunch and dinner or dinner at Credo across the street.

The cottage we rented was three bedroom, two bath, large living room, a dining room, kitchen and a back yard deck with a hot tub. The cottages were built in the late 1940's so have a classic design, but were completely rebuilt from the bottom up in 2007 with a very modern, yet rustic decor. It reminded me of Denmark. A very nice 36" LCD TV, DVD and a full surround sound system for the TV, DVD and CD player with support for MP3 devices.

The cottages are located in tall trees (80'/25M) with plenty of foliage around them. Why is this important? It makes for a very quiet environment except for in the morning and late afternoons when very beautiful Rainbow Lorikeets, Umbrella Cockatoos and a pair of rare Red tailed Black Cockatoos leave or return to their roosts.

Olinda is a very nice town with plenty of antique and craft shops. All within 2-5 minutes walking distance from the cottages.

We spent four nights at Credo and we were very pleased every single day we stayed at Credo. It's extremely difficult to take our breath away with a perfect experience. This was one of the very few times in our lifetime of travels that caused us to be amazed at the comfort level and customer focus to the point where we were still talking about it weeks later.

If you want to experience the mountains within the beautiful Yarra Valley wine country, Credo Cottages should be at the top of your list of places to stay. We WILL return! Five stars and two thumbs up from this well traveled family!

• Liked — Comfort combined with cleanliness and quiet
  • Disliked — We didn't stay longer! Absolutely nothing less than perfect here.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank Guilden_NL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Olinda
Valley Ranges Getaways
Como Cottages
#2 of 6 in Olinda
Gracehill Accommodation
The Loft In The Mill Boutique Accommodation

Been to Credo Cottages? Share your experiences!