“Kitsch is Cool”

Cuckoo Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 27 Restaurants in Olinda
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: THE CUCKOO RESTAURANT Wunderbar! Situated in the stunning Dandenong Ranges, just 50 minutes from Melbourne, the Cuckoo is close to popular tourist destinations like Puffing Billy Railway and Healesville Sanctuary. This buzzing 400 seat restaurant offers a delectable smorgasbord in a warm and welcoming family atmosphere. Decorated in the style of a Bavarian chalet and with staff dressed in traditional costume, The Cuckoo has been attracting locals and visitors from all over the world for nearly sixty years. With an abundance of food to satisfy all, the delicious international smorgasbord is prepared by first class chefs and the amazing range of cakes and pastries are made fresh daily. Most dietary needs can be catered for. Live entertainment at each session includes music and a floor show, cow bell ringing and yodelling equal to any in Bavaria The Cuckoo also offers wedding celebrations with receptions planned and staged beautifully with views of the surrounding mountain ash forest. For getaway couples, a family day out or large festive party groups the Cuckoo Restaurant offers the beauty of the Dandenong's, sumptuous and generous meals plus entertaining events throughout the year at very competitive rates. Bookings are essential Open for lunch 7 days a week 11.30am - 3.00pm Dinner Friday, Saturday & Sunday 6.30pm - 11.30pm Afternoon Tea Saturday & Sunday 3.30pm-5.30pm
“Kitsch is Cool”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

What a lovely spot for dinner! The potato soup, seafood salad, garlic prawns and hot buffet are standouts and the berry cheesecake is the best cheesecake in the world. Such a nice Christmas in July atmosphere and very kitsch is cool vibe. Very enjoyable :)

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Mel R

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
“It's okay for a once only”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I'm being honest here, if you want a great night out with entertainment and laughs and beer it's an ideal night out.
If you are looking for great German food I would look elsewhere.
It's $45 a head for the buffet, the pumpkin soup was delicious and so were the sausages. Everything else including dessert very average.

The hosts have been there for 53 years, very friendly and welcoming.
Once inside the restaurant you are transported back to a diner in Germany. Heavily decorated with German ornaments and allegedly have the largest Cuckoo clock in the world.
There is a live band , music sing along and entertainment.

There were lots of birthday celebrations and surprisingly need to book on weekends as it gets very busy. Lots of outdoor parking and about an hours drive from Melbourne CBD.

You either love this place or not. I personally would not rush back, sorry!!

1 Thank aus66
“Wonderful family restaraunt”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" After reading the reviews I had my reservations about going there. But I must say the restaurant is well decorated and gives a very warm and pleasant feeling and it made my day.

We were a bus load of people and we set out on a chilly day. As we turned the corner the bus driver pointed it out from a distance. I could not see anything that attracts the eye. Anyway once we went inside it had a beautiful log fire and well laid out tables. As for the food, it was well laid out. Last year we had been on an European Tour and we felt we were back in Bavaria/ Germany. The music - a piano accordion played by a gent and a lady played the drums as well as sang and she yodelled as well without any effort.. I dare say she was better than the people in Germany. The gent played beautifully and the cow bells music was great. ( Unfortunately I do not recall their names) I shall leave the details so as not to spoil the fun. I only suggest volunteer to take a bell when asked to do so. The old melodies really stirs the heart. The waitress were dressed in the Bavarian style theme, which added to the atmosphere and they were friendly and quick to clear used plates.

Food: Oh what a spread, well laid out and so inviting and the variety. Unhappily unable to do justice to the food. I especially liked the mussels and the cabbage rolls filled with mince. The fish was ok , but I found the batter to be bit too oily. As for the desserts lets not go into that as I feel like going back. There is so much of variety. I am not going to elaborate about the food,as I do not want to spoil the surprise. Wine and cool drinks were also included . Go once and you will know what I mean.

In a nut shell: Warm & cozy atmosphere, Excellent food and variety and the entertainment was amazing. Both the gent and lady should audition for the X Factor, they will win the prize. Dont miss the cuckoo clocks for sale in various sizes.

Tips &suggestions : Bread rolls and butter kept on the table, are a waste . The pumpkin soup was good. Take a little of everything and taste as the chefs have made a lot of effort to please their customers. Also have only a light breakfast before coming here, so that you can enjoy the various delicacies.
Suggest to make the outside a bit more attractive, especially the roof, as it is on par with road and very dull.
When the dinning rooms are full then the food lines gets a little too long.

Australia
“Wonderful Entertainment for a Celebration!”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We have not been to Cuckoo Restaurant for over 10 years as there has been many more interesting restaurants opening up in Melbourne in the last decade. We weren't sure whether it was worth a visit after reading a number of less favourable reviews. However we were pleasantly surprised that the food variety and quality has significantly improved over the years. The entertainment remains as good as it had been and children were invited to participate in the music which was awesome. We found the staff very friendly and sensitive to our needs.

It can be pricey - $49 per adult plus drinks and $24.50 per child (age between 5 - 12yo). But if it's a for a special celebration, I think it's quite reasonable for a good night out. We thoroughly enjoyed celebrating a birthday there.

Melbourne, Australia
“You have to be a little cuckoo to eat here.... :)”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

This was my first time back to the Cuckoo in a long time and it was so much fun. The food was amazing and there was certainly plenty of it. Would like see a better flow through the smorgasbord, we found the sea food entrées after going through the main course line. Atmosphere was also astounding. The biggest cuckoo clock in the world is HUGE!! The cabaret show seemed a little bit squished in the corner, but was a lot of fun just the same. The staff were very helpful and kind with nothing being too much trouble. A great afternoon out for all the family whether you are going to celebrate a birthday like I did or just for a great afternoon of fun.

• Visited May 2014