“Quaint english pub with great food”

Pig & Whistle Tavern
Ranked #6 of 27 Restaurants in Olinda
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Frankston, Australia
“Quaint english pub with great food”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Food and service was lovely and reasonably priced. We had the steak which was tender and very tasty and the guiness pie and was lovely. The fresh garlic bread was delectable.

Visited January 2013

“Old, cramped restaurant with below average food and service”
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Arrived to Restarant with difficulty finding any vacant carparking. Had to park illegally and hope no one reversed into the car. Sat down at table which was difficult due to tables and chairs so close to each other. My husband had to get up from his chair each time I wanted to get up. Unable to read specials board as top far away from our table. When I asked the waitress to read it to us, she appeared unhappy to do it but did read it but only briefly, not the full description. I had to get up along with my husband to read it in the end. My meal had a hair in it so I complained. Another was made for me and an apology was given. Meal was average not appealing. I got vegetarian platter. My hubby got pork belly which he said was ok. A friend got pie which was meat and gravy in bowl with puff pastry top. Dessert was stodgy sticky date but bonus of 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream coffees to finish were ok. Total for 4 people and bread as entree was $175.00
Place smelt musty. I don't plan to go again as food not appealing and too squashed for comfort

1 Thank Biggav1965
Melbourne, Australia
“Busy nights great atmosphere but no service”
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

We had been stuck in our cabin all day until 7pm at night due to a fallen tree on the road so cabin fever had definitely kicked in.

With no electricity we decided to go to the Pig and Whistle due to its write ups. We walked in to smell wood fire which is lovely and got one of the last tables left available.

We had to ask if it was table service cause the wait staff kept passing us without offering service. We then had our order taken, and the food was great.

As we were near the counter I would see one of the wait staff having a go at the waitress which looked quite uncomfortable.

Three of us ordered steak and these were all different sizes but I had the smallest and was still full at he end.

Overall ambiance is good meal price a little pricy but it is like that in the dandenongs.

Hampshire, UK
“Great place to eat in an area filled with expensive restaurants”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We came upon this place by chance after walking the length and breadth of Olinda finding nothing that impressed us except over-priced cafes.

Hubby had the belly pork and I had the Thai prawn curry - both were delicious and the owner lady who served us was very pleasant and chatty.

As others have said, it's not a flash place, but it is very welcoming and family friendly and you can sit either indoors or outdoors.

Forget the flash (expensive) cafes in Olinda and pay a visit to the Pig & Whistle for sme good wholesome food, with lots of easy parking out front.

• Visited January 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Pub Food in the Ranges”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Good old pub food, huge in portion commenserating with its cost, nice cosy inn-like setting and good service. We tried the Piggy platter, excellent choice, and the sourdough was the best ever that I have tried, and I am not even a sourdough fan. The soup was excellent, and we ordered entree size steak in view of the portion of the food which turns out to be a good decision.. The dessert - Chocolate Parfait, home made parfait with a meringue center was excellent. Highly recommended. Overall worthy a try when in the Dandenong ranges

Visited December 2012