“Wouldn't change a thing. Wouldn't want to leave. Wouldn't book anywhere else.”

The Loft In The Mill Boutique Accommodation
Ranked #4 of 13 Olinda B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed in the two level 'Loft' room - the only room at the Mill, to accommodate us and our children (aged 2, 4, & 6). Downstairs our couples room and upstairs in the Rapunzel style attic a room for the children. We all loved it. Clean, gorgeous fit out, lovely toiletries, blankets, magazines, breakfast supplies. We brought extra food for our two night stay so I cooked breakfast comfortably both mornings. The fire place was just like at home, and the location was perfect to walk to Credo, Cuckoo and Gepetto for children's Toys. The limo drive to Sky High was lovely (part of the package). It really felt like a picture perfect forest hideaway. Great for the adults and kids. Couldn't design the Loft better myself. Thank you to the owners for offering accommodation of such character and standard. Wish it was my regular weekend getaway.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Not having met trip advisor before I planned our trip based purely on net pictures, description and price. This can be a very dangerous combination, as was proven by another, dearer place we stayed. But the character of the building and rooms was magnetic, and speaking to the team when confirming the late check-in gave me great hope. Arriving from the airport at 11:30pm we found access to our room exactly as described originally and in the reminder call that evening. And after entering through the private courtyard into the calico suite we found a room perfectly prepared, wonderfully warm despite the hail storm a few hours before, and stunning in presentation. I thought the old stone building might suffer in winter.... The beautful chandeliers, period furniture and space was superb - it's a big suite! Quality local chocolates on arrival (and a nice breakfast included for the morning), great toiletries including bubble bath for the spa we shared to wind down from the trip - it was very close to perfect. As a tall man I would have to question the precticality of a chandelier in the low-ceilinged ensuite :-) but it was beautiful. All topped off by a late checkout (after a walk around scenic Olinda) again from very friendly staff. We thoroughly recommended it to everyone at the wedding that we flew down for, and do the same to you.

Room Tip: every room has different inclusions - look for what you like
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This was our last getaway before our baby arrives and I did some pretty extensive research into picking this place (thank you Tripadvisor and reviewers). We had a warm welcome and offered to choose from a huge array of dvds to take to our room. We were staying in The Herb Garden room.

The room was very clean and the finishing touches were great. Plenty of reading material, chocolates and breakfast supplies.

The bed was comfy, with the only downside being a lumpy pillow with no extras to choose from.
My partner and I both slept well. Bust as stated in previous reviews. At 9am the maintenance on the room above ours started.

Like the previous reviewer, we were pretty laid back about this as we were already awake. But it would have been nice if we were informed of this when we checked in.

Other than the two negatives mentioned above, our stay was very pleasant.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
LoftInTheMillOwner, Owner at The Loft In The Mill Boutique Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thank you for those kind words and my apologies for the construction noise after 9 am, you should of been notified upon checkin and that is an oversight on the part of our team who are normally spot on in this regard and only too willing to upgrade guests to another suite away from any construction noise when maintenance operations are planned(We actually normally close suites around that being worked on to minimise disruption).

Appreciate you taking the time to post a comment but can I add that as well as the Calico Suite and Herb Garden Suite courtyards that you mentioned the King Arthur Suite also has a private courtyard, the Hathaway Suite has a private outdoor balcony, the Carriagehouse has a massive private courtyard with an outdoor setting for up to eight people and at the conclusion of the renovation on the existing Attic Suite that commences on the 11th of March, 2013, there will also be a private courtyard added to what will then be renamed and known as The Governor's Retreat. There is also a secluded outdoor deck with an outdoor setting located opposite both the Tudor and Attic Suites for guests enjoyment.

Kind Regards,

The Team at Loft In The Mill

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Let's start with a multitude of positives:
I stayed with my boyfriend in the "Herb Garden" room. It was gorgeous, with very a pleasing ambience and dozens of little touches in furniture and décor. In addition to the very, very attractive decorative touches (great wall-art, antique furniture, white elements on dark wood, a touch of bare brick, pretty french doors) it was spotless and obviously meticulously maintained. I wouldn't have found a spot of dirt even if I'd walked around with a magnifying glass, and everything seemed to work exceptionally well.
One of the elements that justifies the price (not really particularly steep for a B n B in the hills) is the owner/operators' dedication to the little extras: We were handed discount vouchers for two of the more prestigious restaurants in Olinda (as a former local, I could vouch for these) and offered the opportunity to pick out of a truly staggering collection of DVDs. What I took to be the owner/operator showed us to our room which was also packed with little gratis touches, which started with standard hotel fair (good quality toiletries) to the unexpected. (current magazines, tray of chocolates, incense, books, pre-laid wood in the fire)
And can we talk about the fire? What a fantastic touch to a room. We felt a little uncertain using the main heater, as it was positioned a little behind the TV, but since we had not only the fire as a heat source, but an additional free-standing heater to keep us going, we were never cold.
The bathroom was particularly well-kept. It was taken up almost entirely by the (fabulous) spa bath, but was modern and bright and lovely to spend time in (and boy did we spend some time in that spa!). The little terrace garden got a lot of use, too. Very private (with no one using the balcony slightly above and to the side) with high fences and a few charming climbing plants and very adventurous rose bushes.
We also found out when we checked out that the mattress we slept in was only recently replaced, which is both an explanation for our FANTASTIC night's sleep and a testament to the owner's attention to the quality and maintenance of the rooms.

Now to the negative: (and it really is only the one negative) The owner's attention to detail kind of lost them a point here- It was an incredible stay and I feel very proud of myself for picking Loft in the Mill, and one of the reasons I picked it was because the only negative reviews on trip advisor/booking.com related to a couple of patrons having their sleep interrupted by some maintenance that happened to occur during their stay.
"Well, since that's the only negative and the owner's reply implies that the construction on the garden has finished" I thought, "it's a no-brainer! I won't have the same issue there."
Unfortunately, we were struck with some seriously bad luck, in the form of some builders working on the room directly above ours (we assumed) starting from 9 am.
Now to be fair, it was 9 am (we were already awake and about to get up and enjoy our breakfast) and we were there on a very quiet monday/tuesday in a low-traffic time of year. Plus, they have to do maintenance SOME time to keep it in top-condition (though I would suggest maybe between check-out 11 am and check-in at 2pm?)

To be perfectly honest, my boyfriend and I found the whole thing more funny than irritating as we still managed to squeeze in plenty of rest, but I imagine a less laid-back couple would have been completely incensed by the noise. I will maybe gently suggest that we would have liked knowing about the work being done at the time of booking or when the maintenance was planned!

In summary- beautiful room, beautiful building, fantastic setting (I didn't really talk about it, but The Hills truly are the best tourism location within 50 kms of the city) and SO CLOSE to being a perfect experience!
Despite the noise we will almost certainly return to Loft in the Mill, but perhaps we will move up to one of the top-floor rooms next time.

Room Tip: Herb Garden and Calico suites seem to be the only ones with Gardens- a really nice way of having ext...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on our wedding night and we loved it.

We stayed in the Loft Suite, and it was absolutely lovely. The gas-log fire had been turned on for us prior to our arrival so the room was perfectly toasty when we arrived.

The room itself is very nice. Plenty of room to move around, room for two to sleep in the master bedroom, and a further two (double?) beds are located at the top of the suite in the attic. It was a "cute" place as my wife puts it.

Even though the hotel is located right on the Mount Dandenong Tourist Road, you don't get too much traffic noise. In fact, the only noise we heard was in the morning when the fire station over the road decided to test their siren.

As most of the rooms are joined by a single entrance at the bottom, you do hear people going into their rooms, as it turns out these people were guests from our wedding, so they were probably a bit louder than normal.

Service was very good. Unfortunately we had to get the owners up so that we could use the phone at reception, but they were more than happy to help and were still friendly about it, despite it being 11pm on a Sunday night.

Overall, we loved the place, and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Would recommend the loft mill for those wanting a bit of room or for a couple with kids.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Stayed with my partner for a mid week gateway. Was amazing. Fantastic place to enjoy some quality time. So romantic. Stayed in the King Arthur suite. Incredible. Was nice and warm all night, loved the decor. The owners were wonderful helping us find things to do around olinda, we had dinner at skyhigh. Stayed in a room most of the time though. Too good to leave.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband took me to the loft in the mill as a birthday-weekend-surprise-getaway and I LOVED it! We stayed in the Hathaway room with the four poster bed, crackling fire on arrival, brand new corner spa, 400 dvds to choose from, and lots of gorgeous detail and cute little additions which made it a really special weekend. Would do it again in a heart beat!
They also had a special deal which included a limo pick up from the Mill up to Sky High for a three course meal (would be worth asking about). I thought i was being proposed to all over again! :) Totally recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Olinda
Lochiel Luxury Accommodation
Woolrich Historic Garden Accommodation
Clarendon Cottages
Clarendon Cottages
#1 of 5 in Sassafras

Been to The Loft In The Mill Boutique Accommodation? Share your experiences!