“Depends on Room?”
Review of Arlberg Mt Hotham

Arlberg Mt Hotham
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mount Hotham
Reviewed September 3, 2013

After reading other reviews, I can fully understand why others may be hesitant to stay at the Arlberg. I too have found the Arlberg horrible and dirty in the past. 3 years ago my family stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment that was dirty and disgusting but this year we booked late and stayed in a 1 bedroom and found it wonderful! It was clean, ample and had a beautiful view. Great location and on the same floor as reception it was much easier to lug our bags up those stairs. Yes, it was out-dated but we don't spend our time (and money) at the snow to sit inside our apartment all day checking out the décor.

Pizzas are good value in the Arlberg (about $17) but if you are planning on full meals, pre-pay and book ahead of your trip to save some money ($20 per dinner as opposed to about $24). It's nice to have somewhere to go so you don't have to leave the building and face the cold. The (fire) stairs appeared to be mopped daily and the front counter was friendly. Our small family (3) would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JeaniL9

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Arlberg, room 115.
I found the room to be extremely expensive for what we got but i guess you are paying for location rather than the room itself, they could have at least made more effort to clean it before we arrived to make up for the standard of the room though!

The room we had was a self contained studio,the furniture was dated,tired and worn out with lots of scratches and knocks on most things,looked like a Salvos window display to be honest.
I found blood on the sheets,a bug in one of the kitchen drawers and dust/dirt on most surfaces.
I felt like i didn't want to touch most things in the room let alone cook and eat a meal in there.
They supply you with 2 rolls of the thinnest toilet roll and the tiniest bar of soap that resembles a mint.

The room itself was very warm,with is great after you've been out on the slopes all day but in the night it becomes very stuffy.

Not overly impressed with The Arlberg at all and wish i had not wasted my money, I can almost put up with a tired and dated room as i know i'm paying more for location than anything but the dirty room is where they let themselves down big time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank emmagahan
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Well first inpressions count a lot ,
Walked into a very messy and dirty room with old unclean sheets (blood on sheets) and wet towels. The room was not in good condition with many items broken though out the room. We booked a room for 4 beds and given a 3 bed room ( someone on lounge ). The food in the hotel was very ordinary along with the service.
This hotel is not family friendly I will say that with what we found in the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Mr B
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My family and I (2 adults and two children) stayed in a ground floor apartment. The best thing about the Arlberg is its location. The building is starting to show its age but the ability to come home for lunch and take off your ski boots is a major advantage also loading and unloading the car is very easy with a tunnel from the road up some satirs to reception.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TimothySt
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I was researching for a cheap place to stay for a family of four on the mountain, and the Arlberg is what we decided on, overall the room was more than acceptable, Modern kitchen, brand new bathroom, with the best shower I’ve ever had, the water pressure and amount of water was amazing.

Staying at the end of season meant the room price was reduced as well as reduced lift and lessons for skiing, but also meant the closure of the restaurant, bar and supermarket, we stayed here six years ago at the same time and all were closed that week as well, but what do you expect on the last weekend of the season, with the kitchen we could self-cater to help save on costs, as others have said there is a bus stop at the front door, or you could walk 100 meters to the village chair lift.

The kids loved the pool and spa after a day of skiing.

I have noticed that some other reviewers have either loved or hated the Arlberg for various reasons, it appears that each room is privately owned and then sub-let out, so I guess it all depends on whether the room you book has been updated of left the same from when the building was built, ours what great for the price, the only down side I could find was since we booked one of the cheapest rooms the lifts didn’t go down to our floor so we had to carry all our gear to the room, no big deal really.

Room Tip: I don't know about other rooms but 004 was well maintained and lloked after.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank chrisbarras
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The view seemed to be the only good thing about my room the blinds were broken so you couldn't reay not look at it I guess. What was spost to be a double bed was really nothing more then two single beds pushed together my children all complained about the itchiness of their sheets and that didn't surprise me because the cleanliness of this place was appalling the tiny bath which was spost to be a luxurious spa bath was filled with hair the dish washer filled with rice. The only channels that worked on the tv were sbs sbs1 sbs2 and sbs3. My family ate in most nights but found it very hard considering there were no forks! There was never any one at reception so we couldn't ask for any more. Chairs were broken and to my horror I found a long thick string coverd in nocki under a couch pillow. I will definetly not be returning.!

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank Sasha301
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed in the Arlberg for four nights and it was perfect for what we were doing. It's pretty basic but came with a kitchen in the room enabling us to bring all our food up from Melbourne, which saved us heaps of money. It also had a spa, pool and sauna which were amazing!
It's so close to the slopes, especially with the regular buses so we had no problems staying here. It also has a decent restaurant, supermarket and bar which is convenient when it's snowing outside!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
0 mi away
Tanderra Ski Lodge
Tanderra Ski Lodge
#5 of 12 in Mount Hotham

Been to Arlberg Mt Hotham? Share your experiences!