“Annual Family Ski Trip”
Review of Arlberg Mt Hotham

Arlberg Mt Hotham
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mount Hotham
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My family and I (2 adults and two children) stayed in a ground floor apartment. The best thing about the Arlberg is its location. The building is starting to show its age but the ability to come home for lunch and take off your ski boots is a major advantage also loading and unloading the car is very easy with a tunnel from the road up some satirs to reception.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TimothySt

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I was researching for a cheap place to stay for a family of four on the mountain, and the Arlberg is what we decided on, overall the room was more than acceptable, Modern kitchen, brand new bathroom, with the best shower I’ve ever had, the water pressure and amount of water was amazing.

Staying at the end of season meant the room price was reduced as well as reduced lift and lessons for skiing, but also meant the closure of the restaurant, bar and supermarket, we stayed here six years ago at the same time and all were closed that week as well, but what do you expect on the last weekend of the season, with the kitchen we could self-cater to help save on costs, as others have said there is a bus stop at the front door, or you could walk 100 meters to the village chair lift.

The kids loved the pool and spa after a day of skiing.

I have noticed that some other reviewers have either loved or hated the Arlberg for various reasons, it appears that each room is privately owned and then sub-let out, so I guess it all depends on whether the room you book has been updated of left the same from when the building was built, ours what great for the price, the only down side I could find was since we booked one of the cheapest rooms the lifts didn’t go down to our floor so we had to carry all our gear to the room, no big deal really.

Room Tip: I don't know about other rooms but 004 was well maintained and lloked after.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank chrisbarras
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The view seemed to be the only good thing about my room the blinds were broken so you couldn't reay not look at it I guess. What was spost to be a double bed was really nothing more then two single beds pushed together my children all complained about the itchiness of their sheets and that didn't surprise me because the cleanliness of this place was appalling the tiny bath which was spost to be a luxurious spa bath was filled with hair the dish washer filled with rice. The only channels that worked on the tv were sbs sbs1 sbs2 and sbs3. My family ate in most nights but found it very hard considering there were no forks! There was never any one at reception so we couldn't ask for any more. Chairs were broken and to my horror I found a long thick string coverd in nocki under a couch pillow. I will definetly not be returning.!

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank Sasha301
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed in the Arlberg for four nights and it was perfect for what we were doing. It's pretty basic but came with a kitchen in the room enabling us to bring all our food up from Melbourne, which saved us heaps of money. It also had a spa, pool and sauna which were amazing!
It's so close to the slopes, especially with the regular buses so we had no problems staying here. It also has a decent restaurant, supermarket and bar which is convenient when it's snowing outside!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank MAtravelling
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This hotel is not worth the money. Do yourself a favour there are much nicer places to stay on Mt Hotham with better value for money. The Arlberg is run down and needs a total refit. It is dirty, smelly and extremely noisy ( you can easily hear next door and people above you stomping around ). The beds are uncomfortable with drawers and cupboards broken. Linen is appalling and fiflty.
There are kids running up and down the corridors at all hours, drunken uni students running
amok and banging doors and fighting all through the night. The pool and sauna are disgusting with floating used bandaids in the spa. The only good thing about the Arlberg is its location with a bus stop out front.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank 187scott
Reviewed August 26, 2012

found a room here at short notice during a big snow storm.
Found a room there at a great rate.
Staff were friendly and helpful
On site there is a bar/restaurant.
Great food/service and beer.
the pizzas here are the best at Mt Hotham.

Room Tip: Get a front room with a view
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank travelforsnow
Reviewed August 20, 2012

For $750 a night, you'd expect something half decent. We had a room that had a bunk bed, a double bed and a fold out sofa bed.

Yes I am fully aware that it is peak season in Mount Hotham, and that all hotels are charging this kind of money, However what you don't expect to find is as follows..

1) Mould on the sofabed mattress..
2) Mould on the shower curtain.
3) Dirty sheets (replaced straight away, but still!)
4) Springs that stick into your back from the double bed mattress.
5) A Fridge that is 15 years old at least.
6) Pillows that are harder than concrete.
7) left in the late 80's decor!

My friends who were with me said it added "character" but I don't agree.

Location 100%,but check out some deals before you spend the high end $$$. Lots of apartments for sale in the lobby, I wonder why??

• Stayed: August 2012
#9 of 12 in Mount Hotham
Mountain Dreaming
Mountain Dreaming
#1 of 12 in Mount Hotham

Been to Arlberg Mt Hotham? Share your experiences!