“Brilliant”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Brilliant”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

For a country zoo there else can you see lions fed only 2 meters from you at their height. What an experience. Defiantly put this on your must see.

1 Thank TheHoff74

Melbourne, Australia
“Great stay at Mansfield Zoo”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We are a family of four. Our daughters are 14 and 12. Whilst thinking they may have grown out of a small country zoo and what it has to offer, we were wrong. When we arrived we were overwhelmed how casual it all was. We were told to pitch our tent anywhere in the park and that we were free to come and go through the zoo office. The variety of animals were great. We got to view the Lion Feeding at 5pm on the first night and found the zoo keeper's knowledge on this was amazing. It was great listening to the lions roaring at various times throughout the night. When we woke we had some very cheeky and inquisitive deers trying to steal food out of our tent. They were so friendly. We witnessed some very funny antics by the Bush Turkeys chasing the Peacocks. Overall we had a lovely time at the zoo and it was great family time. I highly recommend the overnight stay.

Havelock North, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Lovely country zoo but very rude owner”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I don't know what I would have rated the zoo if it hadn't been for the rudeness of Bronwyn the owner. We had paid alot of money on a sleepover deal for 6 people and the children were so excited. We were to be there by 4pm, sleepover in swag tents and leave at lunch the next day.
Unfortunately that day we had problems with our campervan brakes and was taking it back to base when we were hit by a car, all ok, kids shaken up but unhurt.
I had already rang Bronwyn to say we would be there late by 6.30pm, kids upset they were missing lion feeding, but after the accident and sorting out the van etc and a 3 and half hour nervous drive out from Melbourne we didn't arrive until after 9pm. I had left a message on her phone telling her we would be late.
We were tired and stressed. Bronwyn had made a mistake as I had previously emailed booking 6 swags but she hadn't noted it so because of lateness we were told we could take campervan into the zoo, the English girl working there was lovely, very kind and polite. We said we would still like swags for kids, but if we could take van in would, she said that was ok and I do hope Bronwyn didn't take it out on her.
As we were going in Bronwyn walked up to my 15 yr old daughter and gave her a mouthful and was really rude, my husband was in the car and asked her not to speak to her like that.
She then ranted at him about not taking the van in and not to hit the awnings in the house etc. etc. etc.
Unfortunately for my daughter the whole day and sleepover was ruined, she was in tears in the van and wanted to go home to New Zealand. Why talk to a child like that and she hadn't a clue what was going on?
We set up camp and went to eat at 10pm to find no light (it was there but we couldn't see how to turn it on in the dark) then the gas ran out, I went to find some help and found Bronwyn, she was still angry with us, I asked her if my husband explained what had happened....she said,"I don't care what happened, this isn't a holiday for me, I am working, running around after you."
I was totally taken aback, I was so annoyed that she had made my daughter cry and so upset with her response, but I realised we had had to sleep on her property and I am not one for an arguement.
I told her we were deeply sorry (although still not sure what was so bad), I told her we would make sure the van was out of the property really early, she replied with "He better not run over any birds!" I assured her he wouldn't and what a beautiful place she had and got a half smile.
Bronwyn, what I really wanted to say to you was, "We were on holiday, a holiday we paid for to take a break from work with 4 children, we paid to have a nights holiday with you, you are in the tourist trade and you had absolutely no right to be so rude to us but definately not to my child. I don't care how bad your day was.....we had been in a road accident but not once was my family rude to you. You are a very rude woman."
I was too scared to ask about the light or the bbq so we all went to bed hungry.
We got up early to move the van into the carpark and left early as the kids didn't want to see Bronwyn. A long drive back to Melbourne but relieved to be out of there.
Thanks for spoiling 2 days of our holiday, it was a long drive to you and from you with 4 children.

19 Thank tematabouncers
Cahir, Ireland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Excellent experience highly recommended”
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

Family run zoo/wildlife park. Friendly welcome from the owner who told us to come and go as we wished throughout the day. Really reasonable entry fee $15 and you can buy a bucket of food for the animals for $2.50.
Free contact with the kangaroos who will eat out of your hand also the deer who are visitor friendly. Lovely to get up close with the animals. Ostrich and Emu are terrific to feed .. Noble birds.
We returned at 5pm to see the lions being fed.
Fabulous place to spend a day.
Highly recommend it for adults and families

Visited January 2014
MansfieldZoo, Owner at Mansfield Zoo, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for your review and letting us know how much you enjoyed your visit here. All of our team work really hard to create a great experience for people and all of us appreciate your feedback. Thanks again, Bronwen
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Very interactive. The kids loved it!”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Having never been one to really enjoy the whole zoo experience (haven't been to Melbourne's for years) I was a little hesitant to divert here from our northbound trip. Glad we did, the kids really enjoyed how interactive it is with feed buckets and animals that happily wander up and say hello in very much a 'free range' atmosphere.
So all in all a good stopover and expect to easily while away a couple of hours if you have children!!

Visited January 2014
Thank you for your review. Its great to hear that you found it worthwhile to make the stopover on your journey. We love to hear how much our visitors enjoy interacting with our animals - i hope you have many fond memories from your visit here. Thanks again, Bronwen.