“Cute town”
Review of Main Street

Main Street
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Maldon
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is a nice quaint town, the locals are all friendly & they have a few really cool antique shops.Shame there were so many shops shut though, considering this train goes there every Wednesday, & it was school holidays.
We had lunch at The Blue Room? I think it was called.
Anyway it was in the local hotel, it was a nice meal, but took ages to get it. we didn't want to miss the train back to Castlemaine!!!
All in all it was a great day out & we would do it again when we come back to Melbourne

2  Thank Rockinmama

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Its a short main street but the buildings have been retained since gold rush era and has a very relaxed feeling.

1  Thank MsCharlton
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I first visited Maldon in the early 1970s and it hasn’t really changed. I think the whole town was listed with the National Trust in the 1960s or early 1970s.
Unlike some places this is not a re-creation but rather a town caught in time. As such it is very interesting and a pleasure to stroll around. Unfortunately the day we were there the temperature was about 40C (104F) so we didn’t walk around as much as we would have liked.
We did manage to traverse both sides of the main street and had a nice iced coffee in one of the many cafes available.
We also drove up to the old train station where I saw a Y Class diesel electric loco. This was a nice surprise as I had driven these in the early 1970s when I worked for the Victorian Railways.
If you like old townships then this is definitely one place you should visit.
The whole area is steeped in goldfields history and many other nearby towns are well worth a visit including, Castlemaine, Maryborough and Bendigo.

2  Thank TimAus
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Lovely place for a day or a week. Plenty to do and see. Good walks, nice variety of shops. Excellent choice of accom. I loved Fairview House.

1  Thank Tzania
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Took the drive yesterday as it's close to where I live in Bendigo. Definitely well worth the visit and a nice day out even though it was cool and windy. Drove to Mt Tarrengower whilst I was there which I recommend doing. Very friendly people too who provide good old fashioned service.

I would suggest a visit to the Information Centre in Main St and speak to 'Jim' who is very knowledgeable and can make some really good suggestions about what to do and see in the town especially if it's your first time.

2  Thank NardsInAustralia