“Gold Mining charm”

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Gold Mining charm”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Its a short main street but the buildings have been retained since gold rush era and has a very relaxed feeling.

1 Thank MsCharlton

Gawler, Australia
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Charming Town”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I first visited Maldon in the early 1970s and it hasn’t really changed. I think the whole town was listed with the National Trust in the 1960s or early 1970s.
Unlike some places this is not a re-creation but rather a town caught in time. As such it is very interesting and a pleasure to stroll around. Unfortunately the day we were there the temperature was about 40C (104F) so we didn’t walk around as much as we would have liked.
We did manage to traverse both sides of the main street and had a nice iced coffee in one of the many cafes available.
We also drove up to the old train station where I saw a Y Class diesel electric loco. This was a nice surprise as I had driven these in the early 1970s when I worked for the Victorian Railways.
If you like old townships then this is definitely one place you should visit.
The whole area is steeped in goldfields history and many other nearby towns are well worth a visit including, Castlemaine, Maryborough and Bendigo.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank TimAus
Melbourne, Australia
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Step back into history”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Lovely place for a day or a week. Plenty to do and see. Good walks, nice variety of shops. Excellent choice of accom. I loved Fairview House.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Tzania
Maiden Gully, Australia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A real treasure close to home!”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Took the drive yesterday as it's close to where I live in Bendigo. Definitely well worth the visit and a nice day out even though it was cool and windy. Drove to Mt Tarrengower whilst I was there which I recommend doing. Very friendly people too who provide good old fashioned service.

I would suggest a visit to the Information Centre in Main St and speak to 'Jim' who is very knowledgeable and can make some really good suggestions about what to do and see in the town especially if it's your first time.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank NardsInAustralia
Hong Kong, China
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Beautiful town”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Had lunch in Maldon on the a trip around the Country. It is so beautiful and historic. Well worth a visit. Great spot for coffee and lunch and drive up to the Mt Turrengower lookout which is just 5 minutes from town.

Visited October 2012