“Charming Town”
Review of Main Street

Main Street
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Maldon
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I first visited Maldon in the early 1970s and it hasn’t really changed. I think the whole town was listed with the National Trust in the 1960s or early 1970s.
Unlike some places this is not a re-creation but rather a town caught in time. As such it is very interesting and a pleasure to stroll around. Unfortunately the day we were there the temperature was about 40C (104F) so we didn’t walk around as much as we would have liked.
We did manage to traverse both sides of the main street and had a nice iced coffee in one of the many cafes available.
We also drove up to the old train station where I saw a Y Class diesel electric loco. This was a nice surprise as I had driven these in the early 1970s when I worked for the Victorian Railways.
If you like old townships then this is definitely one place you should visit.
The whole area is steeped in goldfields history and many other nearby towns are well worth a visit including, Castlemaine, Maryborough and Bendigo.

2  Thank TimAus

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Lovely place for a day or a week. Plenty to do and see. Good walks, nice variety of shops. Excellent choice of accom. I loved Fairview House.

1  Thank Tzania
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Took the drive yesterday as it's close to where I live in Bendigo. Definitely well worth the visit and a nice day out even though it was cool and windy. Drove to Mt Tarrengower whilst I was there which I recommend doing. Very friendly people too who provide good old fashioned service.

I would suggest a visit to the Information Centre in Main St and speak to 'Jim' who is very knowledgeable and can make some really good suggestions about what to do and see in the town especially if it's your first time.

2  Thank NardsInAustralia
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Had lunch in Maldon on the a trip around the Country. It is so beautiful and historic. Well worth a visit. Great spot for coffee and lunch and drive up to the Mt Turrengower lookout which is just 5 minutes from town.

1  Thank Longreach74
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Loved the old world charm of the place! It's clean, heritage listed, No Pokies, just lovely people, who still believe in service.

2  Thank familyfour12