“Basic and old fashioned deco;but lovely hostess.”

Maldon's Eaglehawk Motel
Maldon's Eaglehawk Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maldon
Coffs Harbour, Australia
“Basic and old fashioned deco;but lovely hostess.”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

$100 for a night in this Grandma looking motel is all I can bear, the room is very basic, old and terribly cold. Bed is uncomfrtable and TV is in the worst awkward location which can easily twist your neck after 5 minutes of watching it. And who invented this thing called continental breakfast? Even if you don't want it, it's inthe price tag, I rather get propert hot cooked breakfast and pay for the room only. The only nice thing about this motel is the owner was very nice lady, she is the most helpful and freiendly. But I think the motel needs some modern touch and better hot water pressure. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thewomby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 12, 2011

Myself and five friends spent long weekend staying at this lovely motel. The gardens are beautiful,the rooms were clean and well serviced with a lot more character the your normal run of the motel.The motel manager Fae is extremely warm and hospitable and nothing was to much trouble.We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank uyamuz
Melbourne
Reviewed February 26, 2011

My husband and I plus another couple spent 3 nights at this motel in October/November last year.
"Faye" greeted us when we arrived in a very friendly, helpful and obliging manner.
We had booked two rooms several months prior to our visit and we were all extremely happy with our choice of accommodation.
The "country style" decor we thought was charming and very much in keeping with the colonial feel of the delightful town of Maldon.
From the table and chairs outside our rooms the outlook onto the garden area was lovely and although we didn't use it, the BBQ area looked inviting too.
We all had a delightful stay and intend on returning.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tembomamba
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed January 15, 2011

Make most welcome and was upgraded at no cost. Would recommend this motel for a nice relaxing stay while your explore the surrounding areas. Take a trip on the steam train to Castlemaine.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank davwhite
Queensland
Reviewed October 13, 2009

My mum and I booked by email to stay here weeks in advance of our trip to Victoria. We turned up late on a Sunday afternoon to check in, only to be told by the woman that our reservation was for the night before.

I had booked correctly and had received confirmation by email of the correct date and a room for one night.

After some to and fro and insisting that i had the right date and she insisting that it was for the night before, she abruptly said "well it's too late now because I have given your room to Trace and she is staying four nights." (implying that she was a mate and that, with four nights stay, was worth more money than us).

No apology given, no offer of another room (according to the sign out the front there were still vacancies), nothing.

My mistake was not having the email printed out ... but with her attitude to this point, there was no way I was going to give her my money anyway!

Problem was, there are very little other accommodation options in Maldon ... so I had to make a hurried call (via my trusty Lonely Planet guide) to the Daylesford Accommodation Booking Service. They were more than helpful and absolutely wonderful. They waited at the booking office for us to make the 30 minute drive back to Daylesford - after 5pm on a Sunday - to pick up the keys to our alternative accommodation. They were brilliant!

The same can't be said for this horror hotel.

I checked my email upon returning to Queensland only to find out that I was correct. I sent a scathing email to the Maldon hotel to which a simple reply was given "sorry, my mistake."

After ending up more than $50 out of pocket, plus the inconvenience of an extra drive at the end of a tiring day, I can safely say that we will never visit Maldon again.

I wish the people of Maldon could know how shabby this hotel was as they are the ones that also suffered from our lack of spending a single tourist cent there.

AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS!!

• Stayed September 2009
8 Thank MissKrislovesLeo
Melbourne
Reviewed July 2, 2009

I'd been interstate and decided to head to Bendigo Art Gallery straight from Tullamarine, instead of going home. I decided to stop at Maldon en route because it's a lovely town in the Goldfields area. I'd chosen the motel before heading interstate but hadn't noted the address. Doh!

By the time I'd eaten in Kyneton it was dark when I arrived in Maldon and the motel was not on the approach road I'd travelled on. Some friendly locals in the main street pointed me in the right direction. It was lateish when I finally arrived. The welcome could not have been warmer.

The room was spacious, the bathroom a decent size, the bed comfortable. And oh the joy of a couch to sit on to watch TV. I liked the decor but it's not blokey if such things are of concern.

I didn't have time to linger but in rose season (whenever that is, I'm no gardener!), sitting on the verandah for breakfast overlooking the garden would be a delight.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Port Melbourne
Reviewed September 17, 2008

I stayed at the Eaglehawk Motel in early July 2008. I was there for 2 nights while playing in a local golf tournament.

The motel is clean, neat and rather twee. Think a blend of Laura Ashley combined with prized "antique" pieces from local garage sales. I think it would appeal less to us blokes but should keep your partners happy enough.

It has everything youi need but is a 12-15 minute walk from beautiful downtown Maldon.

I think it is a very popular place to sleep in this popular tourist town so bookings are recommended.

• Liked — Neat, tidy and thoughtful additions to the room
  • Disliked — 15 minute walk to pubs, shops etc.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maldon
Art Series - The Schaller Studio
Castle Motel
Castle Motel
#2 of 9 in Castlemaine
The Grounds of the Ravenswood Homestead

Been to Maldon's Eaglehawk Motel? Share your experiences!