“Annie Smithers ....not worth the drive”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Source Dining

Source Dining
Ranked #1 of 50 Restaurants in Kyneton
Cuisines: Contemporary, Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Strathmore, Victoria, Australia
“Annie Smithers ....not worth the drive”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

I visited Annie Smithers on a Sunday afternoon with a group of 8 for lunch. It was my second visit to the restaurant.
As was the case on my first visit 6 months earlier we were greeted at the entry with.......nothing! There was no greeting as such ....there was girl behind the bar who did not even look up and when she finally did and we said we had a booking for 8 she wordlessly took us to the table with not a smile or any other conversation at all.
A tall male waiter with glasses proceeded to wordlessly pop menus in front of each diner and then told of a special that was not on menu
I ordered the gnocchi for main which was lovely. Other diners had both the beef and pork and blue eye fish which all stated they were of nice quality and taste.
After an excruciatingly length after the main we were offered dessert & coffee
Not once did anyone ask if anyone wanted more wine or other drinks and when one guest wanted a pot of tea she had to go up to ask for it .....when it came but with out any sugar bowl on table the waiter actually said there was some on the t able beside ours and was indicating for her to get it off that (empty) table ...when she gave him a look of disbelief he reconsidered and gave another sugar bowl to our table.
Overall the food was good....but truly not exceptional...and when combined with the non service....just does not make this the sort of restaurant that this group of 8 would ever go back to.
It does not cost anything to give good or even just ok pleasant service but the dour looks on all the staff that we saw and the aloof unfriendly feeling that you get is pretty un inviting to go back again..

Let me also say on my first visit here we were also confronted with rude staff but thought it may have just been a bad day for them although after this second visit and reading that most of other people's reviews experienced the same lack of hospitality I can only assume that hospitality and being friendly to patrons is not something that Annie Smithers staff think is an important aspect of their business....
Anyone who asks me about Annie Smithers ...my advise would be don't go.....ther ware plenty of places with good quality food that have atmosphere and hospitable staff that this place is sadly lacking in the extreme...

I actually cannot remember a restaurant where I have had such offhand service...and I eat out a lot....
Stay away and save your money!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Cindy T

Blue Mountains Australia
“An excellent luncheon in the country”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were visting friends in Melbourne and they suggested we motor up on the Sunday to Kyneton and lunch at Annie Smithers.
I note earlier reviewers experienced rudeness and lack of service. The day we were there the service was impeccable the waiter very affable quite the opposite of earlier reviews. The party of four all had entrees, mains and dessert.
All dishes were excellent, no one in the party had any complaints and we all eat out quite often.
We had a very wonderful afternoon and I left thinking that was one of the most perfect meals I had experienced in recent times.
I would recommend this restaurant and should our Melburnian friends suggest returning we certainly would not hesitate in saying yes!

• Visited February 2013
Lancefield, Australia
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We visited Annie Smithers for our 30th wedding anniversary. We eat out quite a lot and with two chefs in the family, would be amongst the first to admit that we have high expectations. Bread was served on entry. We asked could we receive another serve of butter - certainly sir! but it was not forthcoming. I ordered the duck - it was just a little overdone but enough to see that it was dry. There was barely enough jus to accompany. The vegetables were nothing to write home about, especially the potatoes. My husband ordered the fish dish and he too was disappointed. It was not extraordinary as we had been led to believe we would receive. Needless to say, we did not order dessert. I don't think that we will be going back.

• Visited February 2013
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Wonderful meal and great service, great place to unwind over a good meal and great wines. The snapper was delicious and the profiteroles to die for!

Visited February 2013
Kyneton, Victoria, Australia
“Another excellent restaurant in Kyneton”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Wonderful, food, service and atmosphere. You ant go wrong at Annie Smithers and the menu always offers something a little unusual and always seasonal.

You must have a reservation but if you cant manage that even the bar food is wonderful! The best burger I've ever had.

• Visited November 2012