“Amazing way to spend a New Years Eve/Day”

and 1 more site!
Mt Dandenong Imperial Retreat
Ranked #3 of 3 Kalorama B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Amazing way to spend a New Years Eve/Day”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This retreat was very authentic down to the last detail, on arrival we were taken on a tour of the stunning gardens which wind around the 3 rooms, and overlook on amazing views of Melbourne. There are sun rooms surrounded by cascading flowers and trees, in which you can have your breakfast of a morning and look out over Melbourne while you enjoy your traditional Chinese breakfast, or a traditional English breakfast. Your choice! The traditional Chinese breakfast was delicious and really made the entire stay feel very genuine as it was served on Qing Dynasty porcelain. The rooms including dining area are all styled in antique furnishings and decor, which definitely give you a taste of the Chinese culture as you are immersed in it throughout this retreat. With only 3 rooms it was very private and serene. As we were there on New Years Eve we were able to use the top deck to overlook Melbourne and see the fireworks happening at midnight. It was a very special experience for us and I would really like to point out that the owner Clarke went above and beyond to make us welcome and provide us with anything we needed. A very lovely man and I urge anyone who is considering staying here, to do it. I will definitely be back in the future! I cant wait to see it when it is 100% complete, because even at 90% it was immaculate!

Room Tip: Emperor's Room is the biggest of the 3 rooms. Very luxurious!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RJL86

Families
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have always wanted to stay in a hotel with Imperial decor and a true and genuine touch of Chinese culture and history. It came as a surprise when I found this little 3 rooms resort in the midst of Mount Dandanong. The resort took 8 years to build, and even though it is only 90% done at the time of my arrival (I was their second guest!), it is looking exactly (and maybe even better) than the Imperial Palace of China. The resort was built with such attention to details that all tiny pieces of decorations are from China and some of them are tailored made to suit the size of the rooms and furniture. It is like a home away from home. We spent the night there as our last day of honeymoon and we dressed up in imperial costumes (which were provided in our Emperor Room) for us to take photos of. It was truly a memorable and unique experience that we will bring into our marriage. Breakfast was provided and you have a choice of Chinese or English, we chose the Chinese breakfast which was served on exquisite Qing Dynasty porcelain and fine utensils. It was truly a dream come true for a Chinese historian like myself. I really enjoyed it. The view was simply spectacular - at night, you see the city of melbourne sparkling like stars and glow worms in front of your eyes and in the morning, you are surrounded by trees and fresh smell of flowers and calla lillies with the accompaniment and stream water sounds coming from the Chinese pavilion. I know I loved the experience and will surely come back with my children in years to come.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RendyNg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalorama
Merrow Cottages
#1 of 2 in Kalorama
Tranquility Cottage
Tranquility Cottage
#2 of 2 in Kalorama

Been to Mt Dandenong Imperial Retreat? Share your experiences!