“Go next door!”

Schnappers
Melbourne
“Go next door!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

This place is nothing but a rip off! It looks nice and has a corner spit so it stands out. It's a shame we didn't see the fish and chip sign for the place next door. It where the locals go!

Our food took ages.. the potatoe cakes were floury a d undercooked. The chips were the same and contained hundreds of little pieces which were just batter. The medium size chips which is less than a "minimum" in most fish and chip places was $8.00. This place takes advantage of the visitors to Inverloch, that's for sure!

• Visited September 2013

“Greasy”
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Should of known when on a Friday night the shop was empty but the fish and chip shop next door was packed!!!!
Got one of there packs for 2 that was reuse the price I would pay in melb,
Once got back to our Accom and unwrapped it was drowned in salt,
Cut to fish up for my son and oiled oozed out every where, every bite I took of the fish and potato cake just filled my mouth with oil
Couldn't eat it ended up throwing it out and calling pizza
Next time go next door!!!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank steady01
Neerim East, Victoria, Australia
“Excellent service, excellent food - Will come back again! :)”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I was shocked to read the reviews of other people who have been to this establishment - Are they sure they rated the right place? My family and I went to have dinner at Schnappers after having spent a tiring day adventuring. We asked to eat in, expecting to just have the paper-wrapped fish and chips at one of the tables, but no - the staff set out plates, napkin-wrapped cutlery, glasses, water and condiment dishes! All we ordered was flake and chips, but we were treated like royalty! We didn't mind the slightly higher price nor the slightly longer wait - it was obvious by the amount of customers that they are popular! Our fish was sweet, soft and perfectly fried to a crispy golden brown, the chips delicious and thick cut and the fritters we decided to have for dessert were awesome! Add the fact they cater for Coeliacs (as I myself am, plus dairy intolerant) and it was the only place in town where I could get a decent meal!
Seriously, they were excellent in all areas and the shop was spotless - What more could you want after a busy day with the kids??? 5 Stars from us at Neerim East. :) :) :)

• Visited July 2013
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Fine quality Fish n Chips on the Bass Coast”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

On Sunday 19 May, having finished our Rail Trail bike ride, my wife and I went looking for something "take away" that we could eat by the water. We found Schnappers - it is actually right next door to another F&C shop.

Look if you judge fish and chips by how many kilos of chips you get for your $4 or how big a piece of thawed flake you got then Schnappers might not be for you. But if you like your chips a perfect golden brown and that are crispy really tasty when you bite them - and if you like your fish full of flavour and tasting like it just came out of the sea then we heartily recommend Schnappers.

I feel qualified to write this as I was raised in the north of England an was almost force fed fish and chips as a kid. In Jan 2013 my son and I - on holday in NZ - drove over 100ks to taste what Lonely Planet bill as the 'best fish and chips in the world' - I can honestly say the Schnappers was better by a country mile. We had the flathead tales, scallops, prawns and chips. Utterly defishous!

We will definitely go back on our next trip to Bass Coast.

• Visited May 2013
“Just horrible and biggest rip off. They saw us non locals coming..”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Came back to our acccommodation and opened up packet to find tiny tiny pieces of flake, $7.50!!! Seriously, the smallest fish i have ever seen. Mininum chips is tiny.
I ordered a chiko roll and got a corn jack, my mate ordered a spring roll and got a chiko roll!! The potato cakes were old tasting and basically all batter!
We are not fish n chip buffs, but we know good from bad. This was deadset shocking! The worst!!
When i called to complain, the woman argued with us.
We will never go back, and we will tell others also. What a dodgy business.

• Visited April 2013