Old England Hotel
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We were in a party of 10 that dined here March 11....sat in the room that for a surcharge takes drink and food orders and serves to the table. 8 of party were locals from Australia that have dined there many many times over the last many years. We were visiting from USA and joined them for dinner. When server started taking orders on 1 slip no mention was made and nothing noted on menus or posted notices that they had a policy of not splitting to the bill. The person in group had 6 months ago when making a booking arranged for splitting bill whenever they dined there....still one bill but group divides it by number of couples in group and all pay the same...most of group pays in cash... We had no knowledge of the arrangement or that normally cannot split bill....how would we as visiting from USA... Got bill ($458) that could not read any of charges as register ran out of ink but server who assume did not run up bill at register gave it to us anywhere...do they think customers do not check bills to make sure no charges on it that were in error??? server asked for new detailed bill that brought and then was given $300 in cash for 3 couples and I and one other person gave server 2 credit cards noting $100 to go on each. Came back that could we come to the register and talk to female (manager?) who was on duty behind the bar. We did and the person with me explained that had gone through this all before and was sorted with management to split bill would be allowed when this group ate there...Female behind bar (manager?) was very unfriendly and abusive in her language to say the least but finally agreed to take the 2 cards and run $100 on each . I asked as a first time customer there and being from outside Australia why the server when started talking orders on the 1 order slip did not note no split bills or at a minimum that policy be posted somewhere on the menu. The aggressive rude reply was "we do not have to tell customers our policies"...if I was an owner of the place and heard this was said to a customer in that tone of voice that person would be looking for a new job...obviously does not know the number 1 rule of customer service that the customer is always right even if they are not and it is easier to keep customers coming back than to find new ones....plus the other rule---good service a person tells 1 other person---bad service they tell 20 persons!!!!!!

The server was just average but slow...gone from dining area we were in for long periods serving in other area below us.....place very quiet so could be unstaffed for evening to cut costs.

1  Thank WorldTraveler0001

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Have been going to this hotel now for nearly 8 years love the porterhouse and big chunky chips.....only thing hotel needs to do is get new steak knives ...they are always blunt .
Staff are always polite..... Can't complain

Reviewed February 9, 2014

My family and an English relative had dinner there on 7 February 2014. We were not at all impressed with the food. Our two children had Bruschetta and said it tasted horrible. I had some and agreed. My wife and I had the paella as we had a wonderful dish of it at the Apollo Bay Hotel a few weeks' earlier. This one was horrible. The rice was not cooked and it was too hot and was over done. It was a real disappointment. Also I took my English relative there assumingly - wrongly - that it had an English flavor and theme. Again, we were wrong. We will not be returning and will tell friends to avoid it as it has way too many negatives.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We had dinner with some friends on a Saturday night at the Old England Hotel, it was a great dinning experience for all of us. The menu is well priced and offers a good variety of meals. The meals we ordered were delicious and of good size, especially the shared seafood platter for 2, the rib eye, the chicken risotto and Fish of the day. Even my two kids enjoyed the calamari and chicken off the kid’s menu. Even thought it was a very busy night, the service was great; the waitress was helpful with diet issues, which made things more enjoyable. It is a must to make a booking in advance as it seems to be a very popular and busy venue.
I would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely go back

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Came to the Old England with friends for a birthday dinner, i'm not from the area so had never been before but heard many good things.

As far as a pub meal goes it is up there with the best! I had the chicken risotto and my friend had a parma. They were both delicious and we did not leave any scraps.

Safe to say i will be back again, food was great and so was the service.