“Just ok” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 5 Heathcote B&B and Inns
brisbane
“Just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We found the emu inn average. The rooms need a makeover as they look tired and dated, especially for the price charged per night. The fireplace has a lot of dirt and dust. Only saw the owner once when giving us the receipt and she wasn't overally friendly. Now to the continental breakfast, well I wouldn't call it that. The unfriendly waitress who obviously couldn't of cared less about service told us that our choice was muesli, weetbix and toast, I don't call that continental! When my husband asked about bacon and eggs the unfriendly waitress proceeded to tell us about 3 times that it would cost extra. My husband said that was ok. She then when on to tell us that there was no bacon but pancetta this was becoming to difficult so we said don't worry we didn't want it. After the attitude of her we decided not to have breakfast there but to go elsewhere. Obviously the owners don't care about how rude their staff are. I have worked in retail and hospitality and would never treat customers like that. It's not like they are busy. We had to laugh as we actually got a kind of smile as we were leaving! Emu inn to us was overpriced and nothing special. Wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jenant143
HeathcotePearl, Owner at Emeu Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
I am sorry that "honeymooners" didn't have a positive experience at Emeu Inn or in the Willow Room for breakfast. As the owner/host, I try to greet customers, but not be around too much. I find Australians, in particular, want their space, so after getting them set up, I leave guests to their own devices and let them know I'm available if needed. I am usually friendly and social, but admit to being stressed of late (interpreted as not friendly?) as my husband recently had emergency surgery for a ruptured appendix and it has been difficult.

As to rooms being dated, we own an 1857 pub decorated in period-style furnishings. It was recently been painted, linens have been replaced, etc. Suites have TV/DVD players and clock/radios, so I'm not sure what was expected. As for the fieplace, it hasn't been used since last winter, so perhaps it was dusty, although we try to keep that area clean.

Continental breakfast is included in the tariff. It consists of a choice ofcereal, toast with jams and butter, juice and tea or coffee. It is served in the restaurant by our tenants who lease the restaurant. They are a lovely young couple and this is the first negative comment I have heard about their breakfast or service. Cooked breakfast does incur a charge, but that obviously was not the issue.

We want our guests to be pleased with their service and facilities, so I'm sorry that this is the first I'm hearing there was any problem or disappointment. I will certainly talk with our tenants and ensure the fireplace is clean and tidy.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

For getting out and enjoying the Heathcote Shiraz region this was the perfect place to call home. We were welcomed in by Leslie on our arrival with her warm and friendly nature. She quickly showed us to our little hideaway and all the added extras that make it all that more special (eg. home made fruit cake, port in the lounge room, bubbly chilling in the fridge). The rooms are spacious, immaculately clean, the bed was super comfy, everything was at our finger tips and in the extreme heat the room stayed nice and cool allowing us to get that perfect nights sleep. The breakfast was generous and delicious and our room was serviced and cleaned each day without getting in our way at all. Really peaceful place to unwind at the end of each day and beautiful place to wake up every morning. Couldn't fault the place and have already recommended to others, we'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Can only vouch for the Sage Suite which was in best spot I think plus it has a spa.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HeathcotePearl, Owner at Emeu Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thanks, Dan & Aleisha. We appreciate it when guests enjoy what we provide. We hope to see you again.
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Leslye and Fred are apparently in the throes of renovating/handing over to new management. Well, maybe this is a good thing...perhaps it needs a change! I'd been SO looking forward to dinner at the erstwhile much-raved-about restaurant, but the smell of paint/turpentine fumes, plus assorted cans of paint and drop sheets in the dining room blew away the potential of any decent food there.
I'd really suggest closing shop until business is ready to roll again, don't you think?
This was after having had to actually go in search of someone to open up for us at the designated check-in time at 2:00pm. Door closed/locked, with sign "ring this number if you want someone" !!! 'course we bloody do - we said we'd be there at 2:00 pm, as instructed!
Then, we couldn't park in the advertised carpark cos the recently resown lawn cost 'em $300! So???
Room comfortable, bed comfy, suite nice, but not as luxurious as the price/reputation suggested.
Home-made fruit cake was gorgeous. So - not all bad, but very disappointing, and I'd certainly not recommend the place until it is fully refurbished and things back to standards one expects for that price in the industry.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
HeathcotePearl, Owner at Emeu Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
I wasn't surprised by this review as our guests made their feelings well known to us. We are in the process of leasing our restaurant, so the tenants are putting on their mark, including painting. Unfortunately, there was a smell of paint, which we were able to remedy to a point. And maybe we should be closing the business while this is happening. Unfortunately, it's not quite that easy.
As our restaurant is closed to the public, the front door isn't left open for anyone to wander through. We ask guests to call when they arrive as the time, allocated or not, usually doesn't correspond to what has been notified. This usually isn't a problem, but we do apologise (as I did to the guests on several occasions) for not being there to welcome them.
I am now alerting guests when they book that for one more weekend, there is work going on, and I apologise in advance.
Guests rooms are not impacted by our renovations. Safe parking is available on street for the interim. The resurfacing of the carpark is for the benefit of the guests. Unfortunately, this takes time.
We are looking forward to the restaurant re-opening to the public, as we know our guests will appreciate. We'd like to think that upgrading our facilities would be appreciated by most.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stay for a weekend at Emeu Inn every year. Well appointed rooms. We love the front room and the Cottage the best. They are all different. Great hospitality, relaxed, friendly. Leslye and Fred and fab hosts. We love the hearty yet sophisticated dinner and the wines offered. We look forward to this weekend which is also the Heathcote Food and Wine Festival - walking distance so no driving also makes it a big attraction. Recommended to some friends who have stayed there and agreed with our high standards. Thank you Leslye and Fred.

Room Tip: All rooms are great and different.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HeathcotePearl, Owner at Emeu Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
It's always great to have repeat visitors who are happy with what we do. Thank you for your lovely review. We look forward to seeing you next year, Grace!
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Offering a nice enough frontage in the town's main area of the 'longest main street in Australia'; the 5km of High Street in Heathcot, the Emue Inn is an authentic attempt at creating a relevant 21st century B&B.

The rooms were fine for our two night stay; unusual in design, but functional with all one could ask for. The shower, although effectively hidden from view from the bed (in the twin bedroom cottage we and our friends stayed in - not sure how the others fare), by it lacking a wall the shower can be noisy if your partner decides to have a shower whilst you are sleeping. It's not a big deal, but worth mentioned.

Overall then, the room/s were fine.

The yard though was one area I had a little concern over. It could have been that the hosts, Fred and Leslye were (in a week's time) to embark on a lengthy overseas sojourn, that they let the yard 'go' a little. The Paths were strew with old leaves, the grass was quite long and, perhaps worst of all, the resident dogs' doings lay in the direct path of one's shoes. Indeed, I managed to 'snare' a dropping. So I proceeded inside (with shoes off) where I cleaned the offending shoe leaving the face washer I used to clean the show, a little worse for wear. I tried quite hard to clean the washer, but it left some marks. A little later when Leslye (I assume) went inside intent on a quick tidy up, she located the stained washer and proceeded to lay it out flat on the side of spa - for fairly blatant reasons. Under the circumstances all I could do was try harder to remove the marks made by both the dirt and the doggie do on my shoe.

I know it sounds a little picky and I don't want readers to think badly of Emue Inn, rather it was a little frustrating having to try and step around the various pieces of doggie do in the yard near our parked cars.

Another situation I feel is worth noting is how when we and our friends were sitting in the central living room (between the two bedrooms) having a tea and a chat, the front door opened to Leslye who had noted that the front light was left on. Frankly, we didn't realise it had been, however for Leslye to use her key to unlock and open the door and put her hand inside to turn the light off was petty in the extreme.

No big deal though, certainly given the delightful breakfasts and dinners presented in the dining room. Neatly presented and of the best quality, our breakfasts were great. Likewise the one dinner we and our two Chinese friends indulged in, was great. Personally, I absolutely loved my curry beef, it was truly spectacular and a credit to Fred. Likewise my wife and our friends enjoyed their food.

On a side note, our friends had only just returned from a lengthy Chinese trip and had brought back an incredibly expensive bottle of Chinese alcohol. And they wanted us to try it at dinner as a thank you for inviting them away with us. As it turned out, the restaurant does not cater for BYO, however after virtually begging we were given the go ahead to drink the alcohol. Please understand that it was in no way an attempt to cut costs (certainly given the insane cost of the Chinese alcohol)! However as it tuned out, we paid an additional $22 for the privilege. It would seem that the alcohol was potentially cutting into the restaurant's profit!

The dinner; superb for sure, was a little on the expensive side for a small town facility at $60 per head for 2 courses. You can accept this in the city...but as I say, it was well worth the eating.

The side entry and back yard were quite untidy as a rule which slightly sullied the ambiance of the stay.

So there you go. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Please don't think my comments are designed to put anyone off, rather it is to ensure you know what 'may' lay ahead should you intend vising the Emue Inn.

The hosts were nice, the food spectacular and the accommodating more than acceptable. At a price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HeathcotePearl, Owner at Emeu Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
I was quite surprised by this guest's comments. The guests were very pleased with their meals, as they noted, however, when they arrived in the restaurant with three bottles of wine and asked if we were BYO, I responded that we didn't do BYO. To my surprise, the expensive bottle of wine (53% alcohol Chinese "wine") was opened and poured. I said nothing but charged our normal $15 corkage fee.The $22 mentioned included a large bottle of sparkling mineral water for $7 plus the corkage charge of $15. If pre-arranged and it's not a wine we stock, we do allow BYO. Most will understand that restaurant's make money on drinks they sell, not the food, so yes, BYO cuts into profitability.

As for the garden and carpark. We have experienced several days ands nights of heavy rain in the last week or so. It is impossible to mow grass then and to keep on top of wet leaves. As for the doggy do, I apologise. We are a dog friendly property (one guest had a dog) and we have two dogs ourselves. We try to collect droppings, but occasionally miss some. Accidents happen. When cleaning the suite, I was unaware that the face washer was soiled. I just spread cloths and towels out to dry. There was no intention to do anything other than allow it to dry.

I was unaware of the shower interferring with one's partner's sleep. Not sure what I can do about that without rebuilding.

Frequently outside lights are left on during daylight hours. I try to discreetly turn them off, if possible. I knocked, then used my key, as the switch was in the lounge area. I tried not to interrupt the guests, so I apologise if I did.

We do our best to maintain our property and to keep prices at a rate where we can sustain our business. Our prices have remained the same for the last three years, although costs certainly have not.

We appreciate guests' feedback and hope they understand our response.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

Just spent two nights staying in "The Cottage" - loved the spa. It was wonderful to arrive and enjoy the lovely fruitcake, nibbles, port and sparkling wine awaiting. Lesley was such a wonderful host and nothing was too much trouble. It is a must when staying that you book for dinner. The food was outstanding. Would definitely stay again next time we visit the area. For those who love their wine the location is so convenient with a winery next door and another one a comfortable walk down the street.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janet R
HeathcotePearl, Owner at Emeu Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
It's always a pleasure to serve guests who appreciate what we do. Thank you.
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

We stayed one night at the Inn on a trip through Victoria. I had booked for dinner thinking that it would be a convenient, if probably ordinary, meal and we were very pleasantly surprised.
We had the spicy tomato soup, made with bush tomatoes,and an excellent risotto for the first courses and then my husband had emu pie and I had a steak, aged on the premises, for our main meals. The wine list was also very interesting and Lesley gave us advice about our choices.
Breakfast was also excellent, with homebaked breads and croissants, homemade jam and peaches grown in the back garden and poached by Fred.
Our room was very comfortable and sparkling wine and fruit cake were provided in the lounge area as well as the usual tea and coffee.
Fred and Lesley are charming and helpful, and our stay with them was very pleasant.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heathcote
Grange Cleveland Winery
Grange Cleveland Winery
#1 of 2 in Lancefield
Heathcote Views Luxury Bed & Breakfast

Been to Emeu Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!