Argyles Yarra Valley
Average 3/5
$80
$78
Good 3.5/5
Healesville Motor Inn(Healesville)(Great Value!)
$105
  • Spa
Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa(Yarra Glen)(Great Value!)
$132
$147
$137
Agoda.com
Good 3.5/5
Oscar's on the Yarra(Warburton)(Great Value!)
$121
$115
$112
Average 3/5
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I will preface my review by saying I have never been so compelled to write a review on a place before.. and what you read below is my honest opinion of a terrible stay.

My new husband and I arrived for a quiet holiday in what is described by the owners as a charming antique cottage (seperate to the main property) on a farm with animals, where they provide excellent service and day spas etc etc, of course, as expected from the website, which raves on about how beautiful it is, and how they use Aveda products and have a farm with a goat etc etc... and arrived to a creepy, dark and dirty shed like thing (and thought oh my god is this our room?!? Unfortunately, yes, it was....) which was set back behind two other properties (which I assume are the other places you can stay at) behind another creepy shed which has an "Office" sign on it, and looks like something out of a horror movie.

Upon entering our glorified shed for the evening, we found a hard bed, a small table, a TV, stereo and a tiny kitchen. There was a second single bed, for those who bring a third person or child, but really, this wasn't a cottage, it was one room, which from the outside was actually a shed, and inside was an attempt at making it look like a room. Pretty disappointing to begin with....

We then heard a weird banging noise along with a shaking wall in the bathroom area, so went outside to explore and found a goat, a poor matted haired goat with dags and poo stuck to him, who looked like he was going mad from boredom. I love goats so I was distressed to see this beautiful creature in such bad shape. His water was old, he had no food or grass, and he was obviously incredibly bored. He was ramming the side of the shed/room constantly and he was roaming around on broken glass and other mess. Poor thing.

Back to our shed for the night... so we go inside to wash our hands after trying to pat Mr Goat.. and the bathroom... oh my god. Horrible. I am not a fussy person but it was dirty, the shower had mud on the floor, the amenities were disgusting and clearly havent been topped up for ages... the soap was NOT Aveda, it was an old supermarket push pump thing that was so old it had discoloured and gone clumpy... The shampoo and soap were watered down and clearly refilled with water, not product.. so they were mixed in and looked old also.

Oh yes, then the 'spa'... haha, it was a tiny pink bath that was small enough for a child maybe, and looked like something my nanna would have had back in the day, and there was no way this was a spa of any sort, or I was getting in it, because it was dusty and dirty!

What a joke. This place is not luxury or even close to being quaint or charming. It is filthy, creepy and horrible, and I honestly feel like I would have been better giving my money to an animal welfare group to come and rehome the poor goat, than visiting this place.

I actually thought about that poor goat various times after our trip and considered calling animal welfare and telling them about him.

I would avoid this place at all costs. Not worth it. AT ALL.

I shudder to think of what the day spa is like.... or the food. Yikes.

To the owners, there is a difference, a HUGE difference between being 'environmentally friendly' and being down right dirty and lazy. You don't take care of the little things, which are so important, and the goat... again, that is animal cruelty.

I wish I had taken photos of how terrible this place was so you could see a realistic view of the amenities and the room, oh and the goat and what he was living in (which I actually do have a photo of on my phone FYI) as the website for this place is SO off mark.

Not to mention the weird noises heard all around the property, and the fact that at any moment you feel like you are about to be attacked or you are being watched. Not romantic at all.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Travelbug3737
Argyles_Management, Owner at Argyles Yarra Valley, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear Travelbug3737
We are absolutely astounded by your comments and having been in operation for ten years, have never felt so totally unfairly misrepresented. We now have around 3000 guests stay with us each year from all over the world and have a high revisit rate, with a number of guests actually returning for multiple visits over many years. If a guest has an issue we always encourage them to speak with us during their stay to make their concerns known and to give us opportunity to implement strategies to ensure they have a wonderful stay.
Like you, we feel compelled to respond, however until we have the opportunity to explore with you ‘what your expectations were?’ We are choosing not to respond to the myriad of comments and at times false accusations. We look forward to speaking. Please call.
Having said this, we always value customer feedback. As business owners we appreciate constructive comments to assist us in improving our services. We take pride in ensuring that guests have a wonderful stay with us in clean facilities. We have read your review in detail and thought at length about how to respond. It appears that you felt you had booked into our ‘luxury accommodation’ suites, however you had in fact booked one of the ‘Rustic self-contained cottages’ which was ‘The Dairy’, dating back to the early 1900’s. While rustic, this studio has in fact won a consumer driven accommodation award with a well known booking service.
We dispute a number of your comments, particularly the inference that ‘Bell’ our wonderful Angora goat, is not well looked after. At the time of your stay she was of course shedding her winter coat and eating out the vegetable garden in preparation for spring planting. We would ask that you make contact with us so we can discuss your concerns in more detail. Janette & Bruce

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Came across this place on Google Maps, from wanting to go to the Innocent Bystander for dinner for my birthday.
It was the perfect match for the night and next morning, such a gem find. For us it was the perfect couples retreat for those who are in love with history and appreciate it for all its beauty.
For this restored stunning 1908 place, we stayed downstairs in the Yarra Suite, the spa was just devine and nicely welcomed after our beautiful dinner and the walk back up the hill.
As newly weds it had been a lovely romantic night away, and would not have stayed anywhere else. We will definitely be back again and most likely next year for my 30th but with lots more people, and maybe stay down at the cottages instead.

Thank you Janette for being an accommodating host, with great tips and a wonderful breakfast

Room Tip: It was beautifully quiet in the downstairs Yarra Suite, We only heard the upstairs suite once. Great Spa setup and on a sunny morning like we had it was perfect.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sezjade
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Beautiful garden setting, old world atmosphere, great food and they even have their own vineyard producing some very nice wine. Fernshaw suite was part of original homestead with own entrance. Very comfy original poster bed, light airy room with separate bathroom and spa.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Three day week end in Tuscan cottage. If you want character & rustic appearances, you will find it here. An original building that has been restored using recycled materials. Lovely views, wood heater. Quiet location about 5 mins out of Healesville. Friendly hosts. Great down Doona on comfy bed.
But...... For the amount we paid a breakfast basket would have been appropriate. Even a coffee plunger would have been appreciated rather than coffee sachets and pods of long life milk. It is time to trade in the couch and arm chair (rustic does not need to mean damaged or torn), the shower curtain needs de-moulding and for an establishment that boasts a day spa (at another location), the toiletries were sadly lacking (basic gym change room pump pack).
We have stayed in various accommodations in the area over the years, some good, some bad and some very memorable for all the right reasons. The Tuscan room is somewhere in between them all, with the main gripe being that staying here is not great value for money.
PS - the website needs to be updated ASAP as it gives a false impression of facilities such as the cafe and homewares store which is no longer operational.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beabay15
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Actually glad I didn't check trip advisor as it would have put me off staying at this great place. We stayed in the Yarra Suite which had a great spa, the room was full of interesting historical pieces and a great breakfast to boot. The owners we meet were lovely and accommodating to an after hours check in.

The only down side was that it had a bit if a draft but left the heater on and didn't think on out again.

Would and am recommending this room to others. This will be a repeat stop for us.

• Stayed: May 2013