“just pub grub”

Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 19, 2013

local motel told us this place is very good and got same chef from 20 years .food was just like pub meal and charge like 5 star hotel better to try the view bit outside town but great.

4  Thank tony m
rickhHallsGap, Owner at Kookaburra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

We do have some Pub style meals on our menu for those that want something quick and easy
but to suggest that with mains starting at $24 we are charging 5* prices is simply misleading.
I doubt you have eaten at a 5* restaurant recently but if you could name one charging $24 for main courses I am sure that everyone who subscribes to Trip Adviser would willingly book immediately.
Our prices reflect the cost of providing full table service.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I felt so bad leaving and knowing that I'd never return because the waiter (manager/owner?) kept checking if everything was ok and if we were enjoying the food . He was so softly spoken and polite and eager to please that we didn't have the heart to tell him that the food was terrible. The chicken was grey and dry, the lamb was spongy and tough and the samosas were over-cooked and rock-hard. On the plus-side, the raita was delicious! Oh, and the decor was hilarious - flashing christmas lights (reindeers, xmas trees, stars) in may, Hopefully that nice waiter can find somewhere with decent food to work one day. Bless him.

2  Thank 230Rose_S230
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had filled chicken breast and kangaroo fillet here. The chicken breast was very nice with grilled capsicum. The kangaroo fillet was beautiful and comes with a very mild balanced mustard sauce! A good choice if youre eating here!

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed in halls gap for a week and this was the best place for food, it doesn't look like much from the outside but it's nice inside, I had the veal special and it was amazing, meat was soft and the sauce was great. Best mash potato I've ever eaten!
My boyfriend had the barramundi and he said it was delicious. We went on a Friday night and there were a few other people there, but there was only 2 waiters. One behind the bar and one out on the floor, he did a great job, he didn't look rushed or stretched out at all but he seemed to be making everyone happy, he recommended a great wine and was courteous. We would definitely go back :)

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We came with friends for the Grape Escape weekend. The food was spectacular. I had the duck breast with pork belly and chorizo on a bed of white beans. Great combination of flavours. My wife had the veal medallions and they just melted in the mouth. Bests Shiraz was outstanding and the service was efficient and friendly. Well done team!
The Pyrenees region has arguably some of the best wines in Australia. Most notable wines are Eurabbie Estate Shiraz (2012), Taltarni Cabernet Sauvignon and Warranmang Black Puma Cab Sav (bit pricey at $65 but, worth it)

2  Thank Andrew W