“Friendly stay amazing views”

and 1 more site!
Halls Gap Log Cabins
Sydney, Australia
“Friendly stay amazing views”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed in the Log Cabins in October on the coldest day of the year, yes in October for those in the northern hemisphere it is mid spring in Australia and should have been in the 20s. We had not planned our trip to the Grampians it was at the suggestion of a lovely lady working in the Melbourne Tourist Office who advised us that we may really enjoy them and it put us in the right direction for our next destination Bendigo so we did a giant loop.

We drove up from Great Ocean Road from Port Campbell it was around 3 or 4 hours but we stopped at Dunkeld for lunch and arrived about 1.30 we had a good look around for accommodation as the weather was so bad I wanted an wood fire so if we were stuck in our room at least it would have ambiance we inspected 5 properties before settling on Halls Gap Log Cabins ($135)and we were so glad we did what a delightful place. Rosie the owner is such a lovely woman so friendly and she has made this motel so homely you could easily live in it she has added some nice touches in the rooms to make your stay seem like home. After a few hiccups I finally got the fire going and yes it was as relaxing as I hoped for as well as warm as toast in fact warmer.

The cabins are very spacious The lounge kitchen dining is open plan then the spa bath bathroom is very large the spa easily holding 2 and I'm no small fry followed by the bedroom built in robe plus rocking chair and freestanding mirror and very pretty wrought iron bed with french doors that open up to endless fields. We didn't hear any noise. There was mountain views front and back.

The grounds were extensive and we had resident roos and emus as well as visiting deer so fantastic for city dwellers. In the morning the roos came right up to the room and one had a little joey. We had not been able to see much on our arrival day as the weather didn't clear until around 5pm but we had a look around the lake/dam and a walk to nearby falls. Before leaving Rosie gave a few suggestion for lookouts as we didn't have time for hiking and The first one Boroko lookout was stunning we had a little visitor who knocked on our car window for food a butcher bird I was quite surprised as they are not that friendly it was really novel. It was lucky we got there fairly early as the weather began to close in whilst we were there but not before we had soaked up the views.

Overall I enjoyed the Grampians and would return in late summer or early autum so the weather would be more friendly and I would love to stay with Rosie again our stay was very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Probably look at back rooms for animal experience
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jules8556

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My wife and I spent 4 nights there from Adelaide Hills 12th-16th October (decided to try an alternative to our favourite Flinders Ranges camping trip) - fantastic! The cabins are off the main road running into Halls gap - far enough away to be quiet but great connections to the local sights and walks. The cabins seem to be placed in their own Eden - lots of grazing Kangaroo, Emu, Deer and Duck all day and every day - walk through them on a circuit walk past the Information Centre (up the track a bit) and the other side of the creek. Can't recommend highly enough!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Douglas9305
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This place is unbelievably easy to be in, and would be perfect for a honeymoon, or for a writer's retreat, or for anyone wanting that combination of a restful holiday with all mod cons and a chance to spend time in a lovely corner of the world. The owners/hosts are there if you need them, but give their guests privacy in their own individual cabins. The cabins are mostly in duplex pairs, but once at home in your own luxurious self-contained cabin, you are totally unaware of any neighbours.(Except for the kangaroos, including females with joey in pouch, who come right to your door from the wilderness behind the cabin, and practically eat crusts from your hand) The township is about 2 km away, and a walk up to LiveFast cafe is a glorious way to start any day. I came without a car, and during my stay, Bard had to go to hospital for a health emergency, so Rosie was managing the place on her own, but she still kindly found the time to me a lift to catch the bus, and helped me find somewhere to leave my luggage until the bus left. Rosie also warned me to bring my own food, because food prices are high, (eg Soy milk cost about half as much again as in Melbourne) and I was glad to have prepurchased my own vegetables and dairy products. Coming to Halls Gap by public transport works fine, and there are good walks available from the flat but a car opens up the choices for exploring the amazing landscape etc, and I will drive myself next time.I was warned that driving at dawn or dusk is slow because the kangaroos hop in front of you with no warning. Pricewise, the five nights for the price of four midweek brings this venue down to only about $10 more a night than some of the standard, ordinary places in town.

Room Tip: I had unit 3 and it was lovely, with the back view onto the grassy riverflats abound with Kangaroos...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Mackereth
AUSTRALIA
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Spacious cabin with all amenities supplied and needs met. The owners have furnished the cabins with quaint lace doilies, ornaments etc to give the cabin a homely feel. Exceptionally clean, great wood fire for chilly nights. Kangaroos, emu and deer mere metres from your door. Hosts Rosie and Bard were very welcoming and helpful and I think they really take pleasure in making sure you are happy. This is a great motel for international tourists, given the abundance of wildlife. Thumbs up for value and although not glamourous, it was all we needed.

Room Tip: Shop at the local supermarket and cook yourself a BBQ amongst the kangaroos........
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ALISONAustralia
Edinburgh
Reviewed April 6, 2012

This is an amazing place to stay if you want to be surrounded by kangaroos, red deer, emus and enchidnas. We couldn't believe how much wildlife there was, literally on the doorstep of your cabin! The cabins are really well equipped and spacious. Rosie and Bard were great hosts, really keen to provide information and genuinely interested in their guests. Overall, we had a wonderful two night stay and hope to go back one day!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Izle109
Melbourne, VIC
Reviewed January 8, 2012

The cabins are in Ye Olde Worlde Charme style - cast iron bed, frilly lamps, doilies and dried flowers. That said, the cabin was near-spotless, good location close to town & mountain walks. Kangaroos are everywhere in the evenings, with a mountain range at your back door. Good value, clean and good location -as long as you enjoy tidy Ye Olde Worlde Charm!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank CM67Melb
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed December 11, 2011

We got a very cosy cabin with a fully equipped kitchen and a spacious living room. The place is very well maintained and the kangaroos had dinner right at our doorstep. The interior is very much old-style which I normally don't like but the owners put so much effort into cultivating this particular design that it looked really good. There were also a couple of interesting magazines and books in our cabin for a nice read. The owners were on vacation but the gentleman replacing them was very friendly and helpful. I can only recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2011