“My secret yummy place ...shhh”
Review of Ginseng

Ginseng
Ranked #3 of 195 Restaurants in Frankston
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Modern Asian Cuisine.
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Look .... I should let you know I grew up in Hong Kong so I am picky when it comes to Cantonese Food .... Yum Cha a la Carte during the day and traditional favorites cooked very well at night or day .... Favorites are .... Westlake Duck, Mushroom & Chinese Greens, salt and spicy tofu...and the squid is delicious.
Ginseng you could judge on it's decor, making the best from a basic space, the atmosphere, dimmer lights than a standard chinese restaurant, crisp white table cloths, light jazz and a sort of calm. I've had some great meals here as a couple or group of 6, all have said how great it was.

I could tell you that the chef used to work at the Old Kingdom in Smith Street, ..for the affectionately known duck Nazi.. Who would serve a four course duck banquet (they will do it here too if you give notice) .... But mostly I just don't want it.to get so busy that I can't get in.

1  Thank kapowaus

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Really average food. Ate only vegetarian so can't make comment on meat dishes. Would not go again- nothing positive to say really.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

We recently had a lovely dinner at Ginseng. As a party of 10, we decided to go with one of their banquets and chose the "Traditional Chinese" banquet. Starting with a tasty san choi bow, we then had a chicken and mushroom soup and delicious calamari which had a hint of chili. Next dish was a sliced fish with ginger and shallots. Lovely flavours but really couldn't taste a lot of ginger and the bowl it was served in had approx 1 cup capacity. Normally the girls can go with a small dish but this was tiny much smaller than usual bowls in Asian restaurants. Cantonese Duck was next and it was juicy, tasty and delicious, once again in a baby sized bowl. It also came with steamed rice. Disappointingly, the dessert included was sliced up oranges and jasmine tea which tasted like hot water. Very disappointing! Four of our guys opted for a banana fritter and ice cream as they weren't quite full (at an added expense as expected). Funny enough, the other banquets include lychees, fried ice cream or fritters but not this one. We didn't really want to suck on pieces of orange at the table but never mind! We regularly have take away from Ginseng and always have fantastic food so we will certainly continue to go there but slightly bigger portions would be welcomed.

1  Thank wizzynew
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Everything, food, service and ambience were fantastic. Will definitely be back!

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Today was our first visit.... We have been looking for a yum cha restaurant in our area for 12 months and I think we have found it.... The food was home made and cooked fresh to order .. There are no trolleys here. They give you a list and you choose what you want which was ok with us as we have been eating yum cha for many years and knew what to order...my son in law who is a chef said it was the best he has ever had cos it didn't all taste the same. The service was great, prawn crackers to start and even the hot towel when we finished our meal.. I would definitely recommend this restaurant for a lazy Sunday lunch...service great...food great...we will definitely be coming back ..thank you ginseng