“Local produce and lovely service”

Royal Mail Dining Room
Ranked #3 of 8 Restaurants in Dunkeld
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Royal Mail Hotel Dining Room has been awarded '2 hats' by the Age Good Food Guide 2015 & 2016. The Dining Room serves innovative, seasonally driven menu that draws from the extensive organic kitchen garden - reputed as the largest and most productive restaurant kitchen garden in Australia. The Dining Room wine list has been awarded 'Best Hotel Wine List, worldwide, by Fine Wine UK. The cellar houses over 26,000 bottles and wines can be served matched to each course of the five or eight course chefs tasting menus.
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

Perhaps my expectations of the three-hatted Royal Mail Hotel in Dunkeld were too high. Or perhaps it was because Dan Hunter has left but I felt like there was something missing in Robin Wickens' food. While our 5 course degustation dinner was delicious and very fresh, there wasn't a stand out dish.

I had a great night and the service was lovely.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

We have been told that this establishment was first class and was endorsed by Anthony Bourdain . We travelled 100 KL. out of our way to find the restaurant almost empty which surprised us as it was a sunday afternoon. After enquiring if we could dine the manager suggested that we should go through to the bar and check out the menu as the restaurant was for “serious “ dining.
Undeterred we asked the restaurant staff for a table which was obliged.
The balance of our visit was most pleasurable - the meal was most enjoyable - the service extremely friendly but a little slow.Was it the best meal that we have ever had ? No.
Would we go back? Yes , but we would allow a little more time for a leisurely lunch.
I just hope the manager learns a little tact.

1  Thank kaydee-r
Reviewed July 14, 2014

There was a group of 5 of us that made the journey to Dunkeld from Melbourne for the weekend just to eat at the Royal Mail. We'd like to think that we are foodies, happy to spend a lot of money on good food with good service. We had really high expectations at looking back they were never going to be met but we still had a great night. We had the 8 course degustation. We decided against the matching wines as the Royal Mail has recently been voted as best wine list in Australia so we wanted to participate in choosing our wines from the 26,000 bottles available.

The biggest let down of the night was the service - we were sat down and it took 25 mins before anyone payed us any attention. No wine list, no menu, no water.... Just completely ignored! We flagged it to the maître d that we weren't impressed and that he was going to have to turn it around for us. From that point on Cameron the maître d did everything he could for us and really bent over backwards. Thank god for him as no other staff seemed to have any interest - not sure where the country hospitality went!

The food was good but inconsistent! I have to question if everything was getting checked at the pass or were they just wanting to get plates on the table. The risotto was under cooked which just shouldn't happen at a place like this and one of the duck dishes was so raw it had to be sent back. Some food combinations were odd eg, whiting with a weird cauliflower gel thing that looked like a a fired egg white, the texture was off too! The waygu dish was the dish of the night and one of the best dishes I've ever had - complete perfection!!! The apple soufflé was equally amazing, I will be talking about it for years to come! A big no no was the serving of dishes to the table when some people were at the bathroom. They missed the explanation but this sort of thing should just not happen in a 2 hat restuarant.

The wine list was truly amazing, out comes a menu the size of an encyclopaedia. Really incredible and I can see why they have been voted the best wine list in Australia. We had a LOT of wine at our table and that almost was better than the food. But what an effort to get some help/attention from the sommelier. You would think he would jump all over a table who wasn't doing the matching wines but he was almost like he couldn't be bothered! Seriously, buddy sort yourself out, you are working with the best wine list in Australia!!!!!

We had a great night and I'm glad we went. Thanks again Cameron, our night could have been disastrous without him! Would I go back, no. Would I recommend people go, yes! Is it worthy of 2 hats, definitely not and I'll be shocked it they keep 2 hats when the ratings come out next month.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Called in today for lunch on our way back to South Australia. The hotel has been recommended numerous times to us but this was our first visit and sorry to say the last.
Its quite an impressive building but value for money is just the opposite. Our 2 flat head serves would have at best, fed one of us which was very disappointing for a premium priced menu item. We will be tracking to and from Melbourne quite frequently for a while but will have to find alternatives for a lunch stop.

1  Thank Roadmaster31
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My first time to this establishment and I can guarantee Ill be back as soon as possible. Great staff, excellent knowledge, superb food. The drink selections not bad either.
Go now before more find out about it.