“Great Bar Parma.”

Royal Mail Dining Room
Ranked #2 of 8 Restaurants in Dunkeld
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Royal Mail Hotel Dining Room has been awarded '2 hats' by the Age Good Food Guide 2015 & 2016. The Dining Room serves innovative, seasonally driven menu that draws from the extensive organic kitchen garden - reputed as the largest and most productive restaurant kitchen garden in Australia. The Dining Room wine list has been awarded 'Best Hotel Wine List, worldwide, by Fine Wine UK. The cellar houses over 26,000 bottles and wines can be served matched to each course of the five or eight course chefs tasting menus.
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Don't be turned off by the bar parma price of $26 because it is wonderful!
On a cold Sunday night it was lovely to get stuck into a well made parma. No processed chicken schnitzel here (a pet hate of mine) it was a nice big thick chicken breast resting on chips and very nice salad,
The Royal Mail public bar is a nice eating environment and take advantage of the huge open fire over a few drinks.
Will be back!

1  Thank Andrew E

Reviewed June 14, 2014

The service is wonderful and is what makes this an overall winner. Degustation was interesting for the experience but not a winner in terms of value. I don't understand why they are so stingy with the complementary beverages given the price paid. My tip for other visitors is to swill your beverage quickly before the course arrive - then apparently you qualify for a mini top-up.... And apparently rude guests get treated better than polite ones ... Which is another disappointment.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We went for dinner. When we arrived, they didn't have our booking. It didn't really matter though, because they weren't very busy and found us a table..... However, I would've been very annoyed if they couldn't seat us.

Great food, very generous with the bread. My husband's steak was cooked perfectly, my ravioli was delicious, and the pear souffle was just incredible.

We ate in the 'bistro' - a crowd of very noisy (and probably intoxicated!) men came in, and we asked to be moved into the restaurant as there were plenty of spare tables. They obliged and moved us, which I thought was nice. I did notice several other couples leave quickly.

Not a lot to offer in Dunkeld - definitely the pick of the bunch!

Reviewed May 20, 2014

We were staying in Halls Gap & decided to revisit The Royal Mail for breakfast. We had the continental breakfast which was excellent. It is the third time I have visited this restuarant & its reputation for excellence is well deserved. It is consistently excellent & reasonably priced.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

The restaurant had three guests in total the night I dined there. The wine list is fantastic, has some items which don't break the bank, certainly a fun read and they serve great wines by the glass. The evening fell short when the amuse bouche arrived. It was a small jerusalem Artichoke ball fried. The problem was that the puree inside wasnt seasoned and only the outside after frying. To me, one of the basics for seasoning food is building flavor and making sure all of the ingredients are seasoned evenly along the way to make sure the whole dish is great. The amuse bouche fell short and all of the dishes afterwards didnt make up for this. My Salmon was seared in a pan skin down, but the skin was quite soggy, the duck I had was overcooked and I asked that they prepare me a different dish as this one was far too overdone. The desserts were stellar.

The execution of the dishes could have better changed my mind, but or the price point $150 AUD it was a bit steep. Not saying I can do what they did at home, but it was certainly not 2 Michelin worthy.

Would I go back, no. Would I recommend to a friend. Yes. The wine list is the savior here and the food could possibly be better executed next time.