“Review of the bar............surly service and average food.”

Royal Mail Dining Room
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Dunkeld
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Royal Mail Hotel Dining Room has been awarded '2 hats' by the Age Good Food Guide 2015 & 2016. The Dining Room serves innovative, seasonally driven menu that draws from the extensive organic kitchen garden - reputed as the largest and most productive restaurant kitchen garden in Australia. The Dining Room wine list has been awarded 'Best Hotel Wine List, worldwide, by Fine Wine UK. The cellar houses over 26,000 bottles and wines can be served matched to each course of the five or eight course chefs tasting menus.
Mount Gambier, Australia
“Review of the bar............surly service and average food.”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Let me make it clear I ate in the bar with 5 others in our party. Ordering drinks and the food I was met by a surly waiter who seemed to think my only part to play was to fit in with their computerised bar system. "Can we move 2 tables together...........no! due to health and sfaety issues" Thus we ended up in a rectangular room of zero ambience to eat our overpriced Weygo steak with pitifully little veg to go with it. This steak did not impress, it was just average. My son's fish and chips looked better but pitifully small portions. We had brownies to follow. Lousy and very expensive.
We shall not be back. Typical small town Australia..........damn expensive for mediocre food.

• Visited August 2012

• Indonesian first
Sydney
“Way overpriced, bland and hugely dissappointing”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Everyone comes here for the 3 hatted restaurant and we'd looked forward to it for ages.. WAY overpriced for dull and boring degustation. I'm a real carnivore but chose the veg option. The only meat on the omnivore selection was eel, pidgeon and fish. How that showcases local produce (the place is surround by sheep farms and NO lamb!!!) is beyond me. The dining room is like a 70's conference centra and the shared facility with hotel reception, bistro and access to pub means you're paying a bomb to have people wandering past all night and 'sticky beaking' at you. But my god, the food was just dull, souless and ZERO wow dishes. I just couldn't wait for it to end, lighten my wallet by over $400 and go to bed hungry and annoyed..This place's only redeeming feature is the exceptional staff and service. The critics at 'Age good food guide' need to get a grip...this is a shocker.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank StevenBSydney
Bendigo, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Expensive and Disappointing”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

The degustation menu was very disappointing and expensive. Food was completely tasteless and did not highlight the local produce

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Bendig0B0b
Darwin, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The good, and the bad.”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

The good, and the bad.

My partner and I had been looking forward to a trip to Dunkeld for quite a while, and finally decided to visit on a spur of the moment trip, only organising it the day before we left! I was relieved to get accommodation and a seat in the restaurant at such late notice, although, it was mid-week. We both had high expectations of the Royal Mail Hotel and I am unhappy to say that it did not completely live up to expectations.

The good points, and there were a few! I stayed in the cheapest accommodation, the Garden View Rooms and was very happy with it. There was a lot of space, comfy bed, big TV, big bathroom, endless hot water and reverse cycle air-conditioner. Although, not a wine glass in sight?!! The public bar has a beautiful open fireplace and a pool table. It is a nice space, however, it bring downs the ‘fine dinning’ feel of the place. There are beautiful native gardens around the whole property and the wattle has just come into bloom. The backdrop of the Grampians National Park is spectacular and the surrounding walks and trails are a good escape. Dunkeld is a sleepy little town, with a population of about 400, a nice change for those who have travelled from the big city.

I dined in the restaurant; both my partner and I had the eight-course degustation with matching wines. The stand out dishes were the egg yolk, pigeon and quince with coffee, stand out wines were local Walwhinnie Chardonnay and Grossett ‘Polish Hill’ Riesling. Our wait staff were exceptional, the Sommelier, Simon, fantastic! The wine list was phenomenal; I could have read it all night. In fact the whole place is about the wines they have, and it is worth a visit just to enjoy their selection.

There were a few things that really brought down the whole night. The chairs are uncomfortable, office chairs that give the impression they might break if you lean back on them. The tables were set up in two rows, away from the fireplace. Therefore, instead of the fire being made the feature we were looking at the waiter’s station (something I think should be tucked away in the corner, for the staff as much as the dinners). The station divided the room, making us feel uneasy, especially with the row behind us breathing down our backs. When they bring the food to you, an entourage of floor staff, all carrying one plate, approaches the table! This is intimidating and un-necessary. Throughout the evening we were served by all floor staff members, not one waiter, this meant that a rapport could not be established. The first course, chicken crisp was horrific and the fried truffle croquette nothing to write home about.

All in all I had an enjoyable night, but would not go back, although maybe my expectations were too high. I would rather go to Melbourne to a place with more ambiance.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank AmyJ531
Sydney
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

They were full for lunch, and we had three young kids in tow so we opted for the bistro/bar menu... Wow! My Wagyu beef in white wine sauce was just perfect. The kids fish & chips was healthy, and the wife's pumpkin soup heavenly. Only suggestion is that, for the kids, and I know this is the gourmet/foodie restaurant, but would have been great to have the same carrots that I had with my beef, for the kids instead of salad. We dropped back in for sundowners and the Mountain Goat Ale (2 pots) and a sherry after exploring local forests with the kids... Sun streaming into the bar lounge with warm fire. I recommend Grove Cottage self-contained accommodation in Dunkeld - quiet cottage walking distance. Also highly recommend The Old Bakery for breakfast and sour dough bread(s).

• Visited July 2012