“Lovely overnight getaway”
Review of Royal Mail Hotel

Royal Mail Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunkeld
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We visited the Royal Mail Hotel last weekend and had a lovely stay. The room was spacious, clean and modern and had amazing views of Mount Sturgeon! Staff were efficient and dinner in the Bistro was great. Breakfast the next morning had a good selection on the continental buffet as well as cooked options available.
Would definitely stay again if I was in the area and would recommend!

Room Tip: The Deluxe Mountain View rooms were very spacious and had fantastic views! Highly recommended.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 4, 2014

We had diner there last night in the bar and the atmosphere is great.

The challenge is it took 40 minutes to get our dinner order served after chasing at about the 30 minute mark. Also the quality was about a 6/10 - which is fine if you pay $15-$20, however at $25 for a country burger it should be something really special.

Would I go back for a drink at the bar, you bet, for a meal, I'd walk across the road.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We visited the Royal Mail Hotel for lunch after my husband had seen good reviews on television. He wanted to take me to lunch while we were staying at Halls Gap. We chose to eat at the Bar with the open fire which was nice and cosy. My husband chose a Wagu beef burger with chips and salad, which he said was nothing special. Unfortunately I chose the battered local flake with tartare sauce, chips and salad. I took one bite of the flake and it tasted absolutely disgusting, it tasted of ammonia. At first I wasn't sure if it was the flake, the batter or the tartare sauce but on tasting each item on the plate it surely was the flake. I probably tasted about three morsels and it made the roof of my mouth sore. I couldn't get rid of the taste for three days. I had an upset stomach for three days as well. I am just glad that my husband didn't order the flake as he has a medical condition involving his stomach. I brought it to the attention of the staff and she took it away to let the Head Chef check it out. I was surprised the Head Chef couldn't smell the ammonia like we could. They offered me a replacement meal with chicken. On leaving we inquired what was wrong with the flake but we could not get an answer from the staff. It was very disappointing I would not recommend eating at this Hotel and I see a lot of other bad reviews as well.

3  Thank Jean T
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Had dinner reservations for the restaurant, but was in the area for a few days, so took the opportunity to have lunch in the bar one day.

Wage beef burger? Dry grey meat a few chips on a ... I'll give it to them a nice brioche bun...
No thanks fellas, you sell the quality of your food throughout the hotel, yet don't deliver...

Not to mention the guy at the bar was a bit of a tool.
Cancelled our dinner reservation when we were done.

Disappointed big time.

1  Thank BinkyandSteven
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We booked the Royalmail for Easter Saturday expecting a luxurious escape in the heart of the grampians. However the entire experience was a complete disappointment. First impressions are everything, so with front of house staff being indifferent,almost to the point of rude, the Royalmail had a lot of ground to make up 5 minutes into arrival. Another letdown was finding out that the outdoor pool is in fact not solar heated. However don't let that bother you, after a brisk walk as advised by staff, the icy waters can be quite inviting! The room was warm on arrival, had a impressive view over Mt. Sturgeon and was immaculately clean but the above did not warrant the $340 per night basic rate. The hotel restaurants were also fully booked leaving us with only one option for dining. 'Hotel' guests especially during an Easter weekend should certainly be given priority for dining. As for breakfast that was exceptionally ordinary too, like what most of the Royalmail offers. Altogether very dissatisfied and quite annoyed about being mislead. I would not return to stay here and I would advise further travellers in the area to look for somewhere near Halls gap.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Mcenroes
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We ate the degustation dinner at the Royal Mail a couple of years ago and found it amazing. However, we did not want to spend as much money - or time- as the full dinner demands, and were staying in Halls Gap so chose to eat lunch in the bistro.

As opposed to the bar, which is at one end of the hotel, the bistro and 'proper' dining room are really one space, looking over a garden. Bistro food is prepared by the same team of chefs as the degustation, so the standard is very high.

My partner and I shared the charcuterie. There were very generous amounts of pate, duck rilade, pressed meat, cornichons, olives, tiny carrots, edible flowers and other goodies. Two people with small appetites would have been full after this entree. Especially eaten with the more-ishly good bread that was brought to us!

I ate duck for the main and my partner chose the eye fillet. Both were served with different accompaniments. Not realising how generous the entree would be, we had ordered a side of heirloom carrots with chard. The taste was excellent but we were forced to leave a bit due to lack of room in our stomachs!

We shared a 500 ml carafe of local red wine, and one of us had coffee. With beverages, the price came to less than one person for the dinner. The bistro certainly offers wonderful food at affordable prices. It's a must-go-to if you are in the area.

1  Thank nocatnow
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We chose one of the Cottages for our special occasion stay. They're about 2km out of town, away from the main property.

That was an excellent choice!

The Cottage has old world charm, they are authentic old cottages that have been refurbished inside and have marvellous bathrooms attached to look like a water tank. Having the separate living room with kitchenette and dining table to the bedroom is wonderful as one of us is an early riser.

The view is spectacular and the wildlife, mainly kangaroos, is plentiful and a delight to watch with a glass of wine on the outdoor setting.

There's no TV but that's fine these days as you'll probably have your iPad or MacBook with you if you want to watch a movie or catch up on the news. There's signal if you get into the right spot, we had a hotspot device which I put near the front door to create our wireless network. We were with Telstra so this may not work for you if you're with someone else, or maybe you'll have a better signal.

You can get the hotel bus to pick you up and bring you in to the main property, this was quick, easy and free and it was a great way to get home after the degustation dinner. You can also get the bus to the vegetable garden tour which was an interesting insight to the function of the kitchen, the chefs and their menu selections.

The degustation dinner was simply fabulous and we paid the extra to have the matching wine and they had been thoughtfully matched. I wish you could record taste because there were many moments of impressive food flavours and then the matching wine complemented perfectly.

The following night was in the public bar and that was pleasant but busier, as you'd expect, and the food was still delicious.

At all times the staff were excellent, personable, polite and professional, as you'd expect in such a place.

We will be back!

PS You can take your dog to the cottage too, we'll be doing that next time.

Room Tip: If you can afford a cottage, get a cottage, unless you like being closer to the action, if you like...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunkeld
Comfort Inn Grange Burn
#5 of 8 in Hamilton
Southern Grampians Cottages
Grampians View Bed and Breakfast
Best Western Hamilton Lakeside Motel

Been to Royal Mail Hotel? Share your experiences!