“A real gem that deserves to be more widely known”

The Hare Inn at Scawton
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Scawton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: 13th Century Inn, 21st Century Restaurant, The Hare is tucked away in the very south of the Moors. We offer Tasting menus, each dish is individually designed to showcase our team's ability, local produce at its finest and to incorporate different cooking techniques including both modern and traditional methods. Our personalities are reflected on each individual plate.
Reviewed January 31, 2014

With my husband and one of our grown up sons, I have just celebrated a significant birthday at the Hare Inn, and the whole experience was wonderful. I feel moved to write this review as I think that this venue deserves to be more widely known, particularly as it is somewhat tucked away and certainly deserved to be more busy even on a wintry Thursday night. We had an à la carte dinner which wasn't cheap but was well worthwhile given the calibre of the food and the skill of the chef; this is true fine dining with great originality and flair and even playfulness. The place itself is wonderfully atmospheric - there has been an Inn on this site since Medieval times, and the present building is old, with low beams for the unwary. It is sited in a small moor top village but actually not all that far from the main A170 or indeed from Rievaulx Abbey. We were shown into a cosy sitting room where we chose from the menu whilst sipping our pre-dinner drinks and a warming sherry glass of beef bouillon topped with horseradish foam that was provided free of charge. The menus themselves are refreshingly minimalist - no "pan fried" or "village shot", but simply the lead ingredient followed by a list of the accompanying ingredients; Liz the co-owner who served us is extremely knowledgeable and able to give any additional detail you need to know. We all opted for the scallops starter - the scallops themselves were beautifully just cooked through with a slight caramelisation on the outside. My husband and son both had lamb for the main course which had amongst its accompaniments small globes of poached apple, parsley root (rather like very mild parsnip and very good) and the best black pudding they have ever tasted. I opted for the duck which intiguingly had been partly cooked in an infusion of lavender - there was no noticeable flavour of lavender as such, but somehow it brought out the flavour of the duck; amongst the accompaniments were fennel both as a puree and as a couple of small pieces, and the most gorgeous wine-poached pear that I have ever experienced; the whole thing worked together beautifully. For pudding my son and I both went for "pistachio" which was a plate of the nut in various delicious manifestations. My husband opted for cheese and biscuits which he found generous and excellent. We also sampled the single malt whiskies, and I was delighted to find that the relatively little known Glenfarclas (which we have long loved as one of the very finest Speyside malts) had found a place in their exclusive list. As it was a special birthday, we pushed the boat out with an excellent but very expensive Gévrey Chambertin, but there are more reasonably priced bottles available. Another point I would make is that whilst the individual courses didn't look terribly big, the whole meal was surprisingly filling and left me with a feeling of entire satisfaction and well-being. One additional point - they are very keen to accommodate vegetarians and dietary restrictions, so it would be the perfect place for any coeliacs for instance who wanted a proper fine dining experience; however given the size of the operation they do need a bit of notice, so it's important to book in advance and tell them about any particular requirements you may have. As for the cost, for three adults the food (i.e. without drinks or tip) came to £126.55, but some of what we chose was at the more expensive end of the spectrum; for what we got in terms of sheer quality, I think that's not at all bad value.

2  Thank Eaglesdaughter

Reviewed January 23, 2014

First visit to the Hare since the change of ownership. The improvement is immediately noticeable from change in decor to the friendly welcome from Liz, the owner, ( and her attention and helpful attitude throughout the meal). The menu is limited but it is very well cooked and beautifully presented by her husband, and co-owner. Certainly must rank as one of the best eating places for some miles.

1  Thank OttoThiel
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

14012014 called in at short notice for an evening meal. Lovely friendly staff... Welcoming log fire. Great ales. Fine wine and delicious food. Highly recommended for a fine dining experience. Bravo.!!!!!

1  Thank Almsford
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I arranged a 60th surprise day out for my Mum with the intention to go to new places. We finished our spa day at The Feversham Arms with a meal at The Hare Inn in Scawton which was on our way home. We turned off the main road in pitch black and headed down what would qualify for a track rather than lane. We came to The Hare Inn a little early but the doors were opened to us.
We stepped into a charming bar area and were made to feel welcome instantly. We were invited to have drinks in a sitting room area, but chose to go straight to our table. On viewing the menu, we were very excited. It was hard to chose as it all sounded delicious. The principle is ' do less and do it well' I would say 'superbly well'. Our starters arrived, varying between game and sea food and wow, art on a plate it was. Not only did it look incredible but the attention to detail and complimentary flavours created felt like a real treat.
We were now really looking forward to the next course. The main followed suit and all enjoyed tasting the different elements on the plate. The wine accompanying the meal was fab too.
Well, we couldn't stop there and despite being truly full, had to have afters. Tremendous.
This was a wonderful end to our day, my Mum is still talking about it! We enjoy excellent food and wine, I would say it is our hobby, so please be assured, The Hare Inn deserves a visit.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

On a cold wet New Years Day we found this little gem of a restaurant/country pub. Inside was warm and toasty with blazing fires and a welcoming staff.lunch was amazing...each course delicious and beautifully served. Fabulous eatery ...will definitely return.....soon!

1  Thank Julie K